Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2014, 23:02   #16

Re: Saving to live aboard and world travel

CaptainCobb, I suggest you listen closely to what sailorchic34 has to say. She is one of the most amazing frugal sailors I've seen on this forum. She is right when she says that 5-15k is little money when it comes to world cruising boats in the size range you're considering.

I would say that if you realistically are looking at world cruising (crossing oceans), and on that budget, you should be looking hard in the 27-30ft range. I have no doubt that Hunters make good boats but I suggest you do a lot of research on build quality and seaworthiness.

I would also suggest you educate yourself well on what makes a good seaworthy boat. Many people will tell you that almost any boat can cross an ocean with a good skipper but you're green. I'm green too. So when we purchased our boat we bought a boat that is known to be extremely forgiving of a new skipper's mistakes. This might not ever be an issue but I find it best to err on the side of caution.

I too am an Eagle Scout and avid adventurer. I was a white water guide, cut trails at Philmont, and have cruised the US extensively on motorcycle. Sailboats were a natural progression for me. Good luck!
Old 14-07-2014, 23:28   #17

Thank you target!

A agree! I have been doing lots and lots of research, but I agree with all of you who say I need training and experience and I will be, and plan on having training for both me and my girl. Bearthing with another boat for a time to get that experience is a great idea and we will plan on doing so!!

Also, before we even step Into a big boat we will be getting a little 14ft sailboat to play around with on weekends and when we have free time doing overnight camping trips and such. Also, for the people who Are concerned with my budget, 25-50k is really it, I mean, from the research iv done if I spend 50k on everything: boat, repair/ prepare, gagets, training, then I'll be in a good place.

If y'all disagree then is like to hear about that. In a respectful way haha, u guys are being super kind so I appreciate it. Maybe give me some more explanation as to why my budget should be over 50k? Also I really want a boat over 30 ft for comfort sake but understandably won't be my last. Also I have several years to work and develop. Not leaving anytime soon. I love u guys

Also: I'm moving to agusta Georgia soon. Any small boat sailing clubs down there? Love to join one and find a community of sailing friends.

Thanks again friends keep the good info coming and I am listening and taking everything to heart

Thanks!

-will
CaptianCobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 03:52   #18

Boat: hr352

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptianCobb View Post
One thing specifically which id like y'all's comment on is that I'm gonna have a good job that will be good paying before I set of, like making a good salary and rasing a lot of money so buying the expensive stuff while I'm working a real job sounds like a better idea then like living on a boat and coming in and working a small job to pay for little stuff

What do y'all think about these things. Again I know I need to take it slow I just like to plan everything out and have goals. Also let's have a convo rather then an argument thanks guys y'all are killing it
Mate I dunno these are kind of your own personal choices really.
I will say that either way will work it's really only a question of whether you want to go sooner with a small simple vessel and gear or later with more..

Most of the folks we meet up with (the bulk of the long distance sailors are semi retired or retired) envy our relative youth and in hindsight even I would have liked to have gone earlier. The reason I didn't was that I was working in a job I loved and I didn't start coastal cruising until I was 24.

My only comment about gear is that expensive stuff doesn't make you any safer, it can make things easier but maintenance is always an issue on a cruising boat. You'll spend up to a day a week just keeping a simple boat (engine, rig, sails, head, electrics and basic electronics) in top condition. Any luxuries you add will increase your maintenance time and decrease your enjoyment. Also the further away from sailing services you go the more difficult it becomes to maintain stuff.

I think I started with 1000 UK pounds as a budget to get my first (and only) cruiser. That budget went pretty quickly to 10,000 pounds as I realized I'd have to pay that to get something in ok nick that might go further with work. Keep in mind back then that UK vessels were much more expensive than US ones.

Have a read of some of the cruisers who have come before us. The Pardeys & Annie Hill are great for small simple cruising info. There are so many more modern ones and other inspirational writers.

I have no regrets about starting with so little and getting out there earlier and I would always encourage people to do the same but it's a personal choice based on you and your girlfriends own comfort zone.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 04:33   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Will,

Just take it slow. Sail others' boat up front. Walk the docks. Read the magazines. Google some.

It is a long road.

There are boats around for all tastes and budgets. You will find yours too.

Good luck,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 05:04   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Saving to Live Aboard and World Travel

Take a look at the Hunter Cherubini 37c.. one of these took me across the Atlantic and I'd be happy to own one again.. separate shower to boot..
The H36 is also worth a look as is the Legend.. but.. more in the $15-$25K range.
As SC says.. your budgets only worth a decent 30ft-ish unless there's some expensive stuff needed... like an engine.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 05:16   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Saving to Live Aboard and World Travel

Like Blackswan we moved aboard and started coastal cruising in our mid-twenties. There's nothing specific that would prevent you from being successful with your plans, though I would agree with others that have said that you need to focus on the small first steps before taking on the world travel. Many things are not as simple when compared to what people are accustomed to on land. For example, I read above that you want showers on board as well as living at anchor and free from marina costs. We have showers aboard, but when we are living off the dock our water is precious and we bathe in salt water with a frugal fresh water rinse from a bucket on the stern. You might be most successful if you live aboard at the dock before being free from land. Adapt to your space aboard before you remove your little space from shore amenities. Cruise about for weekends before being off for a longer term. Take some thirty mile hops to new destinations before long distance cruising. I'm not saying these things to dampen your enthusiasm, but to point out the natural course of achieving successes with the best likelihood of achieving your goals.
Old 15-07-2014, 05:29   #22

Saving to Live Aboard and World Travel

Thanks so much y'all. Hudson that's some good advice and black swan thank you so much again.

That's so inspirational black swan, I am 24 myself and my goals are not for another 3-5 years so it sounds like they are accomplishable. Also it's nice to hear hunter makes some
Good boats cuz I have been finding their stuff in my price range!

As for the guys that are saying get started sooner then later but take it slow. That is so encouraging. I will do just that! My girlfriend will like that idea too haha. Weekend getaway are our thing.

For anyone concerned with me being too enthusiastic and jumping into It without experience: I plan on leaning everything I can before even taking off. I have been doing a lot of research and as an Eagle Scout I love by "be prepared"

Thanks y'all keep it coming.
Old 15-07-2014, 05:30   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Saving to Live Aboard and World Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Like Blackswan we moved aboard and started coastal cruising in our mid-twenties. There's nothing specific that would prevent you from being successful with your plans, though I would agree with others that have said that you need to focus on the small first steps before taking on the world travel. Many things are not as simple when compared to what people are accustomed to on land. For example, I read above that you want showers on board as well as living at anchor and free from marina costs. We have showers aboard, but when we are living off the dock our water is precious and we bathe in salt water with a frugal fresh water rinse from a bucket on the stern. You might be most successful if you live aboard at the dock before being free from land. Adapt to your space aboard before you remove your little space from shore amenities. Cruise about for weekends before being off for a longer term. Take some thirty mile hops to new destinations before long distance cruising. I'm not saying these things to dampen your enthusiasm, but to point out the natural course of achieving successes with the best likelihood of achieving your goals.
Excellent Advice...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 16:01   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jim had a 30 ft. Yankee when I met him. We cruised & raced in San Francisco Bay, raced & cruised coastally and in the Bay, and did vacation trips to Southern California. Before we took the boat to Hawaii, we got out in bad weather and practiced heaving to, and honed our skills in the pouring rain and screaming wind. We did sail that boat to Hawaii and back, and decided we wanted something bigger to finally go cruising.

So, what I want to say is that with your earlier boats, you will be learning what you like, what you can do without, and what you prefer. Humans being adaptable, you can learn to live with whatever you want to, and some potential hangups may turn out to be non-problems, too. It will be wise of you to think of it as a process rather than a fixed event sort of deal.

My own first sailing skills were obtained at low level racing (classes were for people with more spare cash than I had), but one just keeps building them, refining as you go along. I suggest you and the gf sail separately, and with as many skippers as you can, because the learning is in a team environment where your crew mates encourage you along, and the two of you will be learning different stuff that is complementary. Your pride helps you learn fast and thoroughly.

Ann
Old 15-07-2014, 17:05   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

While a 14 foot boat will teach you sailing quickly (I learned on a 14' Force 5, ages ago), with minimum $$, I might look for a 20-22 foot O day, Catalina, etc. They can be had for a few thousand, are big enough to camp in, easy to sail, and small enough that they will not get you into too much trouble when you screw up.

And easy enough to sell without loosing any funds later on. It's what basic keel boat instruction is done on, around here anyway.

Plus trailerable so you could take it to the Keys for example, or just down to Savannah, or lake Lanier near Hotlanta. That at least you can do a bit of cruising right away, plus start learning boat systems that the 14 foot lacks.. Good lake size boat too.

Plus you'll be sailing and learning now, while keeping an eye on the various marina bulletin boards looking for that $10-$15k fixerupper. The bulletin boards will have the low cost boats on them. All will need TLC. Even the $30K-$50k boats will. Only things your worried about is is the hull/deck good, engine good (a biggy) and the mast and boom good. Everything else will need freshening up anyway. But can be done little by little.

Be advised that asking price has no bearing on condition and never pay full price for a boat. Avoid brokers. The boats they sell are out of your price range

BTW you'll not need radar down south, that's a luxury. Use a tablet (waterproof or with a bag) with GPS and a chart app for navagation. Heck a smart phone will work too.

BTW, My shower is a 2 gallon garden sprayer ($10 at home depot) painted black. Good for 3 deck showers, which keeps the humidity out of the boat too. Trick is to swim first, then soap and shower. Even with a inside shower, you'll need to learn to shower on 1-2 gallons or less.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 20:04   #26

Saving to Live Aboard and World Travel

Sailor chick that is great great advice. The best yet to get started. What am I looking for when I am looking at hull, deck, mast, and boom?

Thanks for the shower info, that's good to know and I think after this forum I can get by on these type of self cleaning stuff. That means a lot.

The small 20 foot range sounds cool, but would it be hard to resale? I don't wanna have some clunker on my hands when it's time to go u know?
Old 15-07-2014, 20:25   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptianCobb View Post
............... What am I looking for when I am looking at hull, deck, mast, and boom? ...............
You're looking for simplicity and integrity. ... add a sail, rudder, tiller and sheet and that's all you'll need. ...... Oh, and the USCG will require the PFD!
Old 18-07-2014, 15:08   #28

My GF and I bought our boat in November of last year and moved onto her right away, we have a 26' Colombia. I had some sailing experience from my youth in Hawaii she had zero. We spent our first six months as liveaboards in a marina , where we meet several really cool people with lots of sailing experience. We were able to board and sail a variety of different boats, did some beer cans as well as some coastal races I even got in on some thirsty Thursday Lido races. My point being learn learn learn on different boats it will do you good in the long run. Our boat cost us about $4,000 it is very simple as far as rigging/electronics , it came with only an outboard motor,VHF,icebox,head,sink, and an old alcohol burning stove(which we don't use) and PFDs.We sailed nearly every day in all conditions usually no further than 10nm from our marina until we were very comfortable with our abilities. We also spent several nights off the hook in open ocean to see how we would handle the rocking about and to just do it. Believe me when I say this taught us ALOT about ourselves and our boat.This year on Mother's Day we helped a friend take his boat to SD which was the farthest we had traveled via the water and felt we were ready. So we provisioned up sailed 20nm north spent a couple of days on the hook at our favorite surf spot and decided to head South. The trip south was a 50nm sail to San Diego something like 15hrs. Now I know some of the old salts on here will chime in and say that's nothing or noob or wanna be but that sail was a tad nerve wracking. We reached mission bay at night so had to find my way in plus drop the hook in an unfamiliar anchorage, not so much fun for a rookie but all went well.The next day Memorial Day we sailed around the corner to San Diego bay which us where we are now. We are getting a few of the creature comforts sorted out solar/refrigeration as well as the paper work for further venture south. We know we want a bigger boat but there are tons around once your on the water so we are carefully and patiently waiting for the right one to find us, and we are currently fine on the 26 footer. One last thing SOLAR shower wal-mart $10 bucks 5gallons 3hrs of sun= 3/4 showers and hot water. Go for it bro have fun it's been great for us thus far !

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Surftrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 19:11   #29

Boat: hr352
Smile Re: Saving to Live Aboard and World Travel

We started wih a 10euro solar shower plastic bag thing thats rolls up when not being used. It was black to heat the water etc like ya get from any good chandlery. Ok but not ideal as on passage you have to lift it (5-10kg) to a height to get head/pressure and attach it to ya rigging where it sways around etc. Too much of a hassle and when rocking at sea i got sick of that as potential off balance fall/injury etc.

We then graduated to a garden weed sprayer that you pump up and the company Hozelock (even had a shower head that we bought). That was luxury and at one stage i had it installed in the engine room so that wen motoring in the med winters it would heat the water. Drop the hook and have a hot shower.. Awesome.
Trouble with the shower head was that it would block up from time to time as the outlet holes were small and would catch any small sediment.
That lasted about 6 years and then we'd gone through the spares for the weed sprayer and we were in the tropics.. Now we just have two one litre plastic water bottles (buy a drink and get a ready made shower)
We drilled a buncha small holes in one of the two water bottles screw on caps. Now we each have a 1litre rinse shower (after first washing in salt). When the first persons done ya swap the caps over for the second person, that way you only need to secure one bottle vertically to contain its water. I suppose we could have bought three bottles and swapped caps around but we didnt think of it and small things like bottle caps tend to get lost on our boat
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 19:55   #30

We hang ours on the boom and shower in the cockpit.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Surftrip is offline   Reply With Quote