Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2019, 16:10   #1

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Sea legs, not as I remembered

Before I got this boat I lived aboard a decent sized power boat as a kid, boat spent most of its life in a calmish lake.

The boat I have now, 30’ cutter, I’ve noticed getting back to the land I feel it a bit more than I remembered as a kid, now the boat was docked in some kinda bumpy waters and all, just odd, especially as my day job is spent partially on the water
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 16:52   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Sea legs, not as I remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Before I got this boat I lived aboard a decent sized power boat as a kid, boat spent most of its life in a calmish lake.

The boat I have now, 30’ cutter, I’ve noticed getting back to the land I feel it a bit more than I remembered as a kid, now the boat was docked in some kinda bumpy waters and all, just odd, especially as my day job is spent partially on the water
You've had that fluid in your inner ear sloshing around for a day and your brain got used to getting all these movement signals from the inner ear and decided everything was OK, probably because the visual signals showed you were actually moving. All good!

Then you stepped ashore, the sloshing stopped, and it takes your brain a while to get used to that new reality.

After a while (days, months, years) your brain gets used to the fact that sloshing and not sloshing are both OK, and this feeling will go away.

As a kid you had gotten used to it.

Your work on the water must be sending a slightly different pattern or intensity of signals to the brain.

Just be happy your brain was OK with the sloshing in the first place, otherwise you'd be seasick.
Old 13-11-2019, 17:06   #3

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Re: Sea legs, not as I remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
You've had that fluid in your inner ear sloshing around for a day and your brain got used to getting all these movement signals from the inner ear and decided everything was OK, probably because the visual signals showed you were actually moving. All good!

Then you stepped ashore, the sloshing stopped, and it takes your brain a while to get used to that new reality.

After a while (days, months, years) your brain gets used to the fact that sloshing and not sloshing are both OK, and this feeling will go away.

As a kid you had gotten used to it.

Your work on the water must be sending a slightly different pattern or intensity of signals to the brain.

Just be happy your brain was OK with the sloshing in the first place, otherwise you'd be seasick.
That makes sense

Guess I just got to knock the rust back off, or would that be back in

And for sure about the not getting sea sick part
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags