Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2017, 13:34   #31

Re: Security on the hook?

I have simply safe in my home. Would work great on the boat. I don’t even have it connected To cell service. The alarm is really loud and would scare me away.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 13:38   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If there are other liveaboards there in the marina, it will be a good bet for you. People, who will be your new friends if you make the effort, will notice when others approach your boat, as you will, theirs, when you happen to be around. A marina with liveaboards always has less petty theft, too. The people and their dogs (where permitted) help keep away the thieves.

The sensors, etc., are cool, too, but a community is also good protection.

A.
I had an Aussie that would chew some ones face off if they got near my pickup. I believe getting a dog from county to country is the problem.

An Aussie has nothing to do with Australia.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 13:51   #33

Joshua Slocum used tacks, and they worked but only if the intruders are barefoot or are wearing very thin soled footwear!!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 13:59   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercyfulBait View Post
Hello cruisers,

I've got a question for anybody who lives or has lived on the hook while working full time. How did you secure your boat when leaving it unattended for hours at a time? I'll be in the Portland area, and while I plan on staying in a marina I have thought a little about anchoring somewhere secluded and just renting a slip for my skiff. That way I'd still have access to showers, ice, and laundry, but actually live somewhere quiet and away from the hustle and bustle of a busy marina. The major downside I've considered is the presence of the floating shantytowns around there, and I would be worried about someone robbing or stealing my boat.

How was your experience living on the hook, security-wise? Any incidents? What steps did you take to make sure your property was protected?

Thank you,
Jordan
I leave my clothes and shoes lying around to trip the robbers up so that they fall and break their necks. So far never came back to find any bodies or even some blood!
Old 15-12-2017, 14:04   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
A good weapon for defense while on board is a loaded flare gun.
Legal to have.
useless as a weapon unless you maybe shot them in the eye (do a web search). Either way it is probably a good way to turn a chicken sh*t thief into a crazy killer.
Old 15-12-2017, 14:06   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Sir Francis Chichester would scatter tacks on the deck at night.
But this works best against bare feet.
I was not Chitchester who put out the tacks but Joshua Slocum in the straits of Magellan on his round the world voyage on Spray.( Multiple stops)
Chitchester was on Gypsy Moth first solo round the world voyage on Gypsy Moth 1V taking one stop in Austrailia. Gypsy Moth 111 is in Gouvia Marina Corfu as we speak! She took part in the first solo transatlantic race.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 14:29   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
A good weapon for defense while on board is a loaded flare gun.
Legal to have.
also good way to set the boat afire
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 14:46   #38

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

OP: Just put the boat in a marina. This is not a fun place to be living on the hook, especially in the - very wet - winter.The Columbia river is too exposed to the winter blasts out of the gorge, trees floating downstream at 3 knots during the runoff, and the wakes of ships and boats all year, so not really an option. We have a law now that requires anchored boats to move to a new location, at least 5 miles from the previous one, every month IIRC. So now we see a flotilla of about 20 boats on the Willamette that move en mass every month (possibly more than one group). Join them and some might try to watch for you and others might try to rip you off, just like a homeless camp here. If you have a full time job you can afford to avoid this miserable existence.

FWIW I have lived for years on the hook, and in the right situation it is truly enjoyable - security problems notwithstanding. Portland isn't such a place.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 15:31   #39

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Portland is America right?

The answer would have to be guns.
You're exactly right. Guns solve many problems. The best part is, they solve some problems permantently.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 19:07   #40

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Sir Francis Chichester would scatter tacks on the deck at night.
But this works best against bare feet.
It was not Chichester, but Joshua Slocum in a different era.
kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 11:27   #41

Boat: 1978 Cascade 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
OP: Just put the boat in a marina. This is not a fun place to be living on the hook, especially in the - very wet - winter.The Columbia river is too exposed to the winter blasts out of the gorge, trees floating downstream at 3 knots during the runoff, and the wakes of ships and boats all year, so not really an option. We have a law now that requires anchored boats to move to a new location, at least 5 miles from the previous one, every month IIRC. So now we see a flotilla of about 20 boats on the Willamette that move en mass every month (possibly more than one group). Join them and some might try to watch for you and others might try to rip you off, just like a homeless camp here. If you have a full time job you can afford to avoid this miserable existence.

FWIW I have lived for years on the hook, and in the right situation it is truly enjoyable - security problems notwithstanding. Portland isn't such a place.

Greg

This is the answer and information I was looking for, someone with personal experience in the unique area I'm talking about. I do not trust the floating shantytown residents, although I admit I don't know them and could be wrong. Hopefully the boat I'm looking at in a few days is as advertised, in which case I can simply take over the slip lease in a liveaboard friendly marina. I just like to have all the available information for all the options....no surprises.
MercyfulBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 11:57   #42

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
You're exactly right. Guns solve many problems. The best part is, they solve some problems permantently.
The anniversary of the Sandy Hook massacre was 2 days ago. Guns suck.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 13:25   #43

To Scout 30, guns, like automobiles suck when in the hands of the wrong individual. Guns still kill far less than autos but most everybody uses a vehicle daily, so it's accepted in today's society. A gun is a great deterrent, in the right hands. Bet there are a few sailors out there that would have liked to have had a firearm at one time or other!!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 15:51   #44

Boat: 1978 Cascade 27'

While I appreciate all the feedback and comments keeping my post at the top, this is not the venue to debate the 2nd Amendment. I specifically asked about security while I'm not on board, which makes this debate pointless and childish.

Please stay on topic and keep it civil!

Jordan
MercyfulBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 16:04   #45

Boat: Bristol 32

I am on the west coast of Florida. The local USTOW Swings by my boat to check it. It is amazing what a couple cases of beer now and then gets you.
Captain Parry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security