Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2021, 09:08   #1

Services in Algarve Portugal

Hey Folks, arrived in Alhao Portugal a few days ago in need of some serious repairs that require the use of a dock and a crane among other things.

So far I have been unable to find water, a dinghy dock, a public dock and have yet to visit the local shipyards seeking info on boatwork.

I have met the local Portugese Maritime police and they knew my boat from years past and recommended that Lagos had more qualified and affordable shipbuilders/astilleros. They said they take their own boats to Lagos for repairs.

None the less I am here and am facing a familiar problem: the entire port seems to be owned and managed by a distant company called Docapesca. They are a state owned firm that as best as I can tell provides no local management of their facilities which include the docks I need to get repairs done.

If any of you are familiar with Algarve, Olhao, Faro, Lagos and services available I would deeply appreciate some pointers and tips :-)

Fair winds and following seas, Tomas
kleenbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 09:25   #2

Re: Services in Algarve Portugal

If Boatman61 doesn't reply to this thread, reach out to him by PM.

He's based in Portugal and knows it well.

Fair winds!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 09:27   #3

Hi, I am not familiar with Faro but I know this place I found from looking around:
http://www.navepegos.com/useful-info-faro-portugal/

Bruce's Yard
https://maps.app.goo.gl/8wV2DX6CNqrK2WQQ6

I hope this can be something useful.
Gaston G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 09:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Services in Algarve Portugal

The nearest yard to you is Bruces in Faro..this is the link.. Nave Pegos Boatyard - Nave Pegos
Other than that I would suggest Portimao where there are 3 boatyards, the main one is run by the marina with travel lift and various services either side from engineers to GRP repairs, sailmakers etc.. the other two are on the same strip of land and use cranes and trolley systems..
Boatyard | Serviços

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 09:45   #5

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenbreeze View Post

If any of you are familiar with Algarve, Olhao, Faro, Lagos and services available I would deeply appreciate some pointers and tips :-)

Fair winds and following seas, Tomas

Depends on the type of boat

Olhao - Marina Formosa, has a shallow draft and (catamaran haul out by trailer), good services and prices.

Bruce's yard is on the western edge of Faro, really helpful but draft can be a problem.

Portimao - yard not the marina. It is up by the bridge and is by far the most comprehensive haul out, deep, cats up to 30ft wide and full services and chandlery. If you have a problem and need professional help this is the place to go.

You can stay on board and do work yourself in all three.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 09:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The nearest yard to you is Bruces in Faro..this is the link.. Nave Pegos Boatyard - Nave Pegos
Other than that I would suggest Portimao where there are 3 boatyards, the main one is run by the marina with travel lift and various services either side from engineers to GRP repairs, sailmakers etc.. the other two are on the same strip of land and use cranes and trolley systems..
Boatyard | Serviços

Hey Boatman. My boat is too beamy for travel lifts with very few exceptions. It has a 9 meter beam. What I need to find is more of a commercial workspace with a rigid dock and access for a crane. Otherwise i could get the work done in a yard with ramps or trailers to haul out but the yards that have those facilities and allow you to do your own work are few and far between.

The work required prevents me from sailing and limits my range.

I will be looking into the local shipyard in Olhao tomorrow (Marina Formosa Algarve Boatyard) and am only aware of one other yard in Lagos on the southern coast. I did speak with Bruce's yard about a year ago and they were not receptive to a boat this large.

Do you know anything about finding water and a public (dinghy)dock here?
Old 20-06-2021, 10:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Depends on the type of boat

Olhao - Marina Formosa, has a shallow draft and (catamaran haul out by trailer), good services and prices.

Bruce's yard is on the western edge of Faro, really helpful but draft can be a problem.

Portimao - yard not the marina. It is up by the bridge and is by far the most comprehensive haul out, deep, cats up to 30ft wide and full services and chandlery. If you have a problem and need professional help this is the place to go.

You can stay on board and do work yourself in all three.

extremely helpful post. Many thanks. Estaleira da Marina de Portimao? They do have a big travel lift and lots of big heavy boats on the hard.

Thanks again. Tomas
Old 20-06-2021, 11:00   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hey Boatman. My boat is too beamy for travel lifts with very few exceptions. It has a 9 meter beam. What I need to find is more of a commercial workspace with a rigid dock and access for a crane. Otherwise i could get the work done in a yard with ramps or trailers to haul out but the yards that have those facilities and allow you to do your own work are few and far between.

The work required prevents me from sailing and limits my range.

I will be looking into the local shipyard in Olhao tomorrow (Marina Formosa Algarve Boatyard) and am only aware of one other yard in Lagos on the southern coast. I did speak with Bruce's yard about a year ago and they were not receptive to a boat this large.

Do you know anything about finding water and a public (dinghy)dock here?
You can get craned out in Portimao.. as you approach the fishing docks/travel lift area you will see some pontoons to your port side.. thats a basic facilities yard with a large crane.
They lift out seriously big boats there 100ft+
In the picture its top left across the water from the three orange cranes.

Re water in Olhau, I presume your anchored in front of the fish market.. I used to dinghy to the quay and tie up at the small slip there and fill jerry cans at a tap on the quay. . mind my boat likely had much smaller tanks than yours..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tivoli-Marina-Portimao-2-1440x900.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	240612  

Old 20-06-2021, 15:51   #9

Quote:
extremely helpful post. Many thanks. Estaleira da Marina de Portimao? They do have a big travel lift and lots of big heavy boats on the hard.

Thanks again. Tomas

Yes, the email is estaleiro@marinadeportimao.com.pt Vera or David

They do not own the big lift (12m beam I think) they have to book it in advance so usually require about weeks notice.

Are you the new owner of blue proa KleenBreeze? Have seen it off Ilha da Culatra very nice boat.
Old 20-06-2021, 16:38   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

By the way.. Lagos, Portimao, Villamoura, Tavira, Albufeira, Guardiana and Olhao are all part of the DocaPesca Co-operative.

Old 21-06-2021, 00:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Yes, the email is estaleiro@marinadeportimao.com.pt Vera or David

They do not own the big lift (12m beam I think) they have to book it in advance so usually require about weeks notice.

Are you the new owner of blue proa KleenBreeze? Have seen it off Ilha da Culatra very nice boat.

Thanks, it needs work :-) Howsa bout this "summer" weather? It feels like winter here.

Which boat is yours? And thanks for all the info. Tomas
Old 21-06-2021, 00:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You can get craned out in Portimao.. as you approach the fishing docks/travel lift area you will see some pontoons to your port side.. thats a basic facilities yard with a large crane.
They lift out seriously big boats there 100ft+
In the picture its top left across the water from the three orange cranes.

Re water in Olhau, I presume your anchored in front of the fish market.. I used to dinghy to the quay and tie up at the small slip there and fill jerry cans at a tap on the quay. . mind my boat likely had much smaller tanks than yours..

There is a tiny little dock showing on google maps right between the two red market buildings and a fish market. Is that a public dock where I can leave my dinghy all day safely?

I was hoping to dock my vessel along a commercial dock and remove the masts to do repairs leaving the vessel in the water. I don't really need to haul out the vessel to do repairs, it makes it hard to live aboard while doing the work :-) It also requires quite a bit of special prep to haul this vessel out with either a crane or a ramp lift. Easier to just remove the masts at the water's edge if possible.

Thanks for all the info, Tomas
Old 21-06-2021, 02:04   #13

Quote:
There is a tiny little dock showing on google maps right between the two red market buildings and a fish market. Is that a public dock where I can leave my dinghy all day safely?

I was hoping to dock my vessel along a commercial dock and remove the masts to do repairs leaving the vessel in the water. I don't really need to haul out the vessel to do repairs, it makes it hard to live aboard while doing the work :-) It also requires quite a bit of special prep to haul this vessel out with either a crane or a ramp lift. Easier to just remove the masts at the water's edge if possible.

Dinghy, if you go under the bridge into Faro town there is a dinghy dock at Ginásio Clube Naval

on the left near the cafe. You should still lock it but safe all day.

Portimao would pull the masts but there is nowhere to stay alongside so you would probably need to stay in the anchorage on the starboard side just inside the breakwater and dinghy into the yard.

You could try Reboat https://www.reboat.pt/ at Albufiera they might let you lay alongside. They have a crane and small hardstand on the port side as you enter the marina from the cut.

I have a Shuttleworth 8.5m beam.
Old 21-06-2021, 03:55   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Dunno where you are anchored but I anchor in front of Quay Bom Success between the marina on the left and the fishing boats pontoons on the right dead in front of the Red buildings which are the markets.
Between these there is a short pedestrian way, that's where the small slip/ramp is. I used to chain the dinghy to one of the steel rings when I went ashore for shopping etc.. that's also where the water tap is.
Next time you go ashore take a walk to the right of the markets, towards the end of the small park just past the market there used to be a small chandler's where I got my gas, have a chat with the owner there he may be able to point you to a dock and crane service. I find the local fishermen pretty helpful in the main.

Old 21-06-2021, 10:27   #15

Hi Kleenbreeze - hope you find a solution you can be comfortable with in either Olhao or Portimao. We recently spent a tourist week in Portimao marina and liked the town and surrounds a lot. We haven't got our cat yet (build commission due to be signed next week) and were testing out the little Broadblue 346 run by Learn2Sail out of Portimao as that is the model we are keen on. We will be back on the Algarve in a month's time for another week - albeit based in Lagos - so if you are still around then and perhaps a bit bored or stressed then a German/Irish family of 3 would love to stand you a drink and listen to some tales Tomas!
Kai
+44.7792582769
Ifitsworthdoing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Portugal, service