Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2016, 02:22   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Shade Cloth

This stuff....

Cheap as...

Used only in port.

Rig and adjust as required through the day.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2928.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	131368  
Old 19-09-2016, 18:39   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
On our Outremer we have a stack pack. So I got the local sailmaker to make a shade cloth for both sides that is zippered to each side of stack pack. There is also a round batten on the outside edge. When we are preparing to get underway I just roll it up and clip it to the the stack pack where it stays until I need it again. When sailing it does not seem to cause any problems
I like this idea, it'd be an interesting one possibly needing trying out. I don't suppose it's at all set up to catch rain water?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 19:23   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Shadetree Boat Awning Systems | Shadetree Boat Awning Systems
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 20:35   #19

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We like our white heavy duty tarps. People on this forum say "they look like crap!" but when other boats see our boat with them they dinghy over to see how we made our awning out of "that great sail cloth"

We like them because they keep the rain out of our hatches - so when its super hot and it rains we get some relief. We like the white because it does look better than the ugly blue or brown tarps plus you get light through so it doesn't feel like you are living in a cave.

If we were not concerned with keeping rain out then we would go with the shade cloth mentioned - its nicer looking.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 21:15   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

Some images.

The first shows the shade cloth "slab" stowed on the boom.

The second shows the stowing line running over the boom, through eyelets in the shades with a slip knot keeping the shade stowed

In the third I have jerked the tails of the stowing lines allowing the shades to run down the stowing lines.

In the last I have tied the front end to a shroud and the back to cleats on the solar panel frame and are heading downstairs for a beer.

If I was to hurry I could probably get both sides done in about thirty seconds.

Image 3 is rotated?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0678.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	131442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0679.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	131443  

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	131444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0681.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	131445  

RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 05:28   #21

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I am discovering that there is a lot of differences in "shade cloth". Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old 21-04-2017, 06:47   #22

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Home depot drop cloth. Toss it over the boom as soon as I anchor, corners tied with double sheet bends to parachute cord. No good for rain catchment but great for shade.
Reasonably priced, two spares still in their packages.
Classiest boat in Baja that's me.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 16:57   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
I am preparing to do the World Arc. I am thinking a shade cloth would be very nice but I have no experience.
First of all how much do you think we will use it? It will be a moderate effort to put up.
A friend suggest using very light rip stop cloth to save weight and volume. From what I have read most people are using sun brella.
Is there a good light weight substitute?
Do you lower temperatures in the boat from a low fitting shade cloth or do you want it high to promote air flow?
How much value is in covering the whole boat? I am thinking of making three sections that can be used together or apart.
I appreciate all in put.
And yes I have read previous threads.
RDW
Good day, RDW,

Are you referring to having a bimini? or just a sun shade that is not meant to catch water? You will definitely need the protection of a bimini in the tropics, or some other under way awning. Most people choose to have a bimini made, but there are ways to create an under way awning, that covers one side or the other of the cockpit. (Please send me a PM if you want to know how we did this.)

The kind of shade cloth shown in goat's picture allows air flow, and will definitely cool a cockpit. It is relatively easy to work with, if you want to turn it into a tarp or awning. It is light weight, and designed to withstand sun.

A coated polyester fabric called Weather Max weighs about 1/2 Sunbrella does, and is more chafe resistant. We have replaced most of our Sunbrella with it. We are DIY types, and in my opinion, they are equally easy to work with; both should be cut with a hot knife. If you order something made, have the maker sew it with PTFE thread (one brand is Tenara), for longevity of the stitching. For ultimate longevity, Sunbrella is guaranteed for longer than Weather Max. If you choose it, have them put chafe patches on what your have made, for each place it is likely to chafe, and that will extend its life considerably.

Ann

On edit, sorry, I forgot to answer your final question. A full boat cover is not needed when you're shifting locations frequently, but something you might consider if you want to leave the boat for a long time, or have a lot of timber you want to protect. If you use your boat a lot, they are a pain to store and put back on, and at anchor, represent more windage.

A.
Old 21-04-2017, 17:52   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Further comment: In some of the posts above, folks talk about shades that they strike when the wind reaches 20, or in one case 15 knots. IMO, this sort of structure is near to useless in the usage posed by the OP. In a trade wind circumnavigation, a great deal of the time one will experience winds of these strengths on a daily basis in many anchorages. I would shy away from any design that could not withstand 25+ knots without damage or distress.

And the design that rolled up against the boom bag... a very good general practice, I think, one that will actually be used in anger.

And one further comment on the WeatherMax vs Sunbrella issue: Weathermax is far less bulky when folded or rolled, and is lighter in weight... all of which are important in a boat with limited storage space, as most boats are!

Jim
Old 21-04-2017, 18:55   #25

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Choose a color so that you don't get to feeling like a Troglodyte, but that doesn't allow so much light through it that you need to wear 2 pairs of sunglasses when underneath of it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 03:10   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

World ARC is on the move so much you may not get to use it a lot.

Yes, the ARC is sailing to a pretty intense schedule...they dont waste much time in any one location. Ive been in a few places when they came thrundering thru like a stampede....all clipboards, schedules, and logistics. Not for me, but obviously works for many.

For more relaxed cruising, where you spend a lot of time at anchor, sun awnings are very beneficial. On the ARC I dont think you would use them much, but they sure are nice when the tropical sun is beating down full strength.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 18:54   #27

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Further comment: In some of the posts above, folks talk about shades that they strike when the wind reaches 20, or in one case 15 knots. IMO, this sort of structure is near to useless in the usage posed by the OP. In a trade wind circumnavigation, a great deal of the time one will experience winds of these strengths on a daily basis in many anchorages. I would shy away from any design that could not withstand 25+ knots without damage or distress.

And the design that rolled up against the boom bag... a very good general practice, I think, one that will actually be used in anger.

And one further comment on the WeatherMax vs Sunbrella issue: Weathermax is far less bulky when folded or rolled, and is lighter in weight... all of which are important in a boat with limited storage space, as most boats are!

Jim
Yep, definitely need a design which can be left out in a gale.

My old boat had it fixed to the boom with SS eyelets and short bits of yacht braid through the eyelets with a figure 8 not on either end.

The outboard side had a tape sewed onto the cloth with loops either end.

The forward end tied to the shrouds and the aft onto cleats on the solar panel mounting.

To stow it I had eyelets at the end and in two intermediate places with a line threaded through them, grab the end of the line and strip the folds into the boom then fix them there with loop ties.

To deploy I just pulled out the loop ties, tied the front end to the shroud and the back to the panel cleat. Took about a minute for both sides. So easy to do I generally rigged the shade in the afternoon for my sundowner in the tropics.

Which one you use depends on the function required. I use a lot of it for cheap durable stowage bags, particularly for items I want to keep aired, usually use the 60% tan coloured stuff for this.

I made lee cloths out of it with bags for stowing small ropes and covers, used the green 80% stuff for this as the intent was to keep the sun out. It,s ready drainage and airing qualities were useful in this usage. Also use it for the rag and plastic shopping storage functions, again airing and ready drying characteristics were handy.

One of those things where if we had not just needed it for shade we would have had to invent it just for all the other things it is useful for.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote