Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2017, 10:44   #16

Boat: Outbound 46
Re: Should Hurricane Irma spoil our Plans??

Over our many years cruising in the Caribbean, we have made many friends on the islands. Our hearts go to out to them, we are looking very hard at the best way to provide support.

I am certain that the most important factor going forward will be recreating a viable economic system for these devastated islands. That means, for example that yachts still visit the areas where yachts have previously visited. You have be conscious of the limited resources, and not over extend them. But you also have to participate in the day-to-day commerce.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 11:40   #17

As earlier mentioned, the world is big and not all regions are hurricane/cyclone/etc-swept. I'd recommend to do some research on world climate, wind systems etc. A single hurricane season shouldn't scare you off from the Caribbean, not to mention sailing per se. We frequent the Canaries - no hurricanes there ever...

But there is no reason against the main hurricane-belt, just keep in mind that you move your boat and yourselves out (preferably South to the ABC-islands or Grenada) well before the first hurricane pays her visit in June/July. O, and don't forget a proper insurance coverage.
Old 25-09-2017, 11:42   #18
Marine Service Provider

You are right about everything. Islands have been utterly destroyed and their economic infrastructure and even many of their people, along with them. Shore-side tourist facilities loved by everyone, including yachties, are pretty much wiped out along with fuel, provisioning and boat maintenance capability.

This is not Houston or Florida or even Puerto Rico of the USVI. These people don’t have Uncle Sam’s printing press that can dump tons on money on them so they can quickly rebuild. The non-US islands are owned by remote nations who may, or may not, spend lavishly to rebuild them. Probably not, but these people have been pretty much self-sufficient for the last four centuries.

I have a charter boat in the BVI which, thankfully, it appears to be reparable. I could have taken an insurance settlement and been out of there but people willing to reinvest and stick with it are greatly needed. You, and those like you, are also needed to carry on with you plans like I am. I hope that as soon some of the logistical problems on the damaged islands (fuel, provisions, routine maintenance and parts) have been addressed to some degree you will consider following through with your plans. If so, I hope you will spend as much time cruising the US and British Virgin Islands and the others in the chain of destruction as you will cruising the untouched ones in the rest of the Caribbean.
Good luck.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 13:16   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

I hardly know where to start! First of all, it's interesting that so many folks are suggesting insurance. There was a recent thread where several people got upset with me to the point of name calling and insults because I suggested that insurance on a boat was a good idea. I guess this thread attracted a different subset of forum members.

Second, you are asking us to come between a husband and a wife? The two of you need to work this out yourselves. Don't base your marriage and future on the opinions of strangers on the Internet.

Now, hurricane Irma. Hurricanes come and hurricanes go. Big ones and little ones. There have been hurricanes since before recorded history and there will be hurricanes after the human race has blown itself up. Same with climate change. There were times when dinosaurs roamed the tropics in North America and there were times when much of it was covered with ice.

My point is, if there's something you want to do and you have the ability to do it now, now is the time to do it. Don't wait for hurricanes to stop, don't wait for countries to rebuild, buy your boat and cruise. None of us is getting any younger and nobody knows what tomorrow will bring.
Old 25-09-2017, 13:18   #20

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Storms are a fact of life. They always have been and always will be. Desperation on some islands is probably more wide spread post IRMA but researching destinations is always a cruising necessity. Haiti and Jamaica are two examples. That said IRMA is no reason to discard your plans but you might switch short term from the Carribean islands to Texas, Mexico and Belize at least until the wrecks and shoals in the Florida Keys have been charted.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 13:57   #21

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Many of the places most affected by Irma rely on tourism as their source of income. Once they are back on their feet, visiting and spending your dollars there will be a help to them.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 14:29   #22

There is another thread, "bought her&himself" directly in the middle of Irma and lost a one week old cat. I am superstitious enough that I don't blame them but please, do some learning what you are getting into. There are many do's and don'ts, if you do the 'do's and avoid the don'ts you'll enjoy a wonderful cruising life like many on these forums.

BTW I am optimistic on the reconstruction, BVI is a world leader offshore center they don't rely on Uncle Sam to rebuild. Other areas might be unluckier though.
Old 25-09-2017, 14:41   #23

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Hi, You are the more cautious one in your relationship. That was one of most nasty hurricane seasons in a long long time. I won't weigh in on climate change. But this season not only were the storms more intense, i.e. Category 5's...Harvey, Irma, and several category 4's....but scientists feels they were also bigger. Irma was certainly one of the bigger (diameter) ones I can remember. I understand perfectly your apprehension.

Relationships are based on compromise and trust. Without either one of those there will be deep rooted problems. You and Hal went out and found an idea that you both bought into. Your dreams got dashed on the rocks. You weren't hurt financially. But you have second thoughts about the feasibility of cruising now.

Sit down with Hal and explain your fears. The Caribbean peoples are very friendly and open people. They depend on tourism and cash for their livelihoods. I would think they would be so grateful to have good people come and spend money they will surely need to rebuild. Don't feel guilty that your life hasn't been destroyed by a storm. They won't look at you as an invader. It is good that you have a social conscious. It is good that you feel sympathy for what mother nature did to them. Your dollars can help fix them. Staying away is the worst thing tourists can do to them.

Your husband has a good lady...and I am sure he is a good guy also. Work it out. As always...life always a compromise...and marriage...without compromise and intelligent conversations is the breeding ground of discontent. Maybe you need to just charter for another year till you get a better feel for big arse cats...find a way to move forward.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 15:50   #24

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
That was one of most nasty hurricane seasons in a long long time. I won't weigh in on climate change. But this season not only were the storms more intense, i.e. Category 5's...Harvey, Irma, and several category 4's....but scientists feels they were also bigger. Irma was certainly one of the bigger (diameter) ones I can remember. I understand perfectly your apprehension.
Well it's best to not count your chickens before they hatch; the 2017 season is still going - but it is looking to be an average to slightly above average season. Harvey was a cat 4; and hardly "several", there was 1 other - Jose. Irma and Maria were the cat 5s. Irma was about 300 miles across, which doesn't even rank in the big 5 - remember Sandy; she was 950 miles across.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 18:14   #25

Thank you all very much for these words of wisdom!! It gave me a lot to think about and was also so encouraging...
Thanks!!!
All is found is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 21:29   #26

Boat: Bristol 32

I am in Bokeelia during. With proper planning and anchorage. Things are back to normal already. The Gulf is beautiful too.
Captain Parry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 22:38   #27

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Feel the fear and do it anyway.

If you don't like hurricanes in the Caribbean, simply sail south to Trinidad for hurricane season. It's just a short distance from Grenada.

The Caribbean has been too crowded with too many boats for many years. I would consider destinations that are less crowded and that keep me out of areas where hurricanes occur on a regular basis. We sailed around the world on an eleven year circumnavigation, and we saw winds to fifty knots on only three occasions. The seasons dictated our destinations - when hurricane/cyclone season comes, you get out of harms way. It's not rocket science.

Sailing across the South Pacific to Australia is awesome.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, oil