Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2012, 10:45   #61

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1057286060.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	37433

Name:	image-3444035029.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	37434
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 04:40   #62

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: Show Me Your V-Berth

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Might need a new G/f...........

Full disclosure: This is where the dollars go when you click on DOJ's beer fund. Jes sayin'.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 04:58   #63
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Full disclosure: This is where the dollars go when you click on DOJ's beer fund. Jes sayin'.
Lol

Actually it doesn't - the head not worked for 3 years (frozen seacock )

I wanted to finish painting / varnishing in the forepeak before splashing WD40 etc around (and removing / rebedding the seacock)....and time just marches on ...during which one gets used to the advantages of being tied to the dock (and not living aboard) - harbour wall or bucket....plan B is no curries and plan C is shore facilities.

But it's on the list - I am allowing 5 minutes for that job
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 16:13   #64

Boat: Hunter 33

Name:	ForumRunner_20120219_191325.png
Views:	512
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	37669

Name:	ForumRunner_20120219_191325.png
Views:	512
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	37669
rileydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 16:39   #65
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

My theory about v-births is this: most americans are used to having a seoerate room from the rest of the house to sleep in so the marketing powers that be build boats with a dedicated sleeping area,. Considering how little time you spend sleeping along with the v-birth being one of the worst places to sleep at sea...the v-birth is a very inefficient use of space. When my boat was designed in 1936 the foreward cabin consisted of a head, work area, storage and a fold down pipe birth, the second owner took that out and replaced the birth with storage locker. In my cabin refit my forward cabin will have a head, work bench on the port side with such things as band saw, drill press, table saw, routing table, vise etc all of which can be stowed on the starboard and the workbench used for a 30" wide bunk with plenty of storage on the other side. The bunk in the main cabin pulls out to the center of the boat making a bunk wide enough for two and still allowing passage while open. My point being every space on the boat should be used as efficiently and for as many purposes as possible. My cabin space on my boat is about 16' and is 8' at the widest, 3' at the narrowest, the original cabin was very poorly thought out and I have spent the last couple of years rebuilding it.
Old 19-02-2012, 17:35   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Our V is about queen size with the corners knocked off. I installed two mast steps to get up and some hand holds. 4" open cell antifungal treated foam and custom covering. There is an add-in section at the aft center. The long port & starboard sides are sectioned to get into the lockers below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2140008.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	37674   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6110005.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	37675  

Name:	DSCF1277.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	37676   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6080060.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	37677  

Name:	P6110006.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	37678  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 19:03   #67

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling View Post
Ah ha! Unfortunately (or fortunately with two kids!) I have lots of storage under the v-berth. Most if it is stuff that doesn't need to be gotten to everyday, but with that much room something can always be put there.
Hello Gelfling. While I do have access to the stuff via a hatch under the mattress, one of my most used improvements was to have a locker door cut into the front of the bunk support panel. Well, first we added a shelf under the bunk from port to starboard so that the cavern now has a "bottom" (versus the bilge) ... That made storage so much more tidy. Still, a couple of hinges and a beautiful seahorse (thanks Josh!) handle.... it's a great USEFUL storage area.

Eventually I might go ahead and finish off the edges with some teak and make it look real pretty, but for now it serves the purpose well. I've got a little piece of ebony wood that latches the door shut at the top corner though if I had little people I'd go with a more substantial closure.

Good luck!
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 03:58   #68
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
My theory about v-births is this: most americans are used to having a seoerate room from the rest of the house to sleep in so the marketing powers that be build boats with a dedicated sleeping area,.
Much as I would like to .....I don't think fair to blame either Marketeers or Americans.

I just see it as boat design evolving to meet the changing requirements / needs of Owners.

Time was that working / recreational sailing boats had to be fitted out for extended time at sea (No or small engine), boat required a number of sails and an ability to fix or replace stuff on the hoof. IMO the first recreational sailors were more about the sailing side than the sitting in port and simply enjoying life part (no criticism meant by that!).

But as the world moved on, accomadation in port became more important to an Owner than it had been, and especially with the advent of longer life sails (Mainsail can be kept on boom season long, under a sail cover) and then the foresail reefing meant that the sail locker could become even smaller - or eliminated completely?!.....couple that with ever more reliable equipment (less need for storage and working space) and better engines that meant voyages could be completed quickly, even when the wind did not play ball together meant that the forepeak could become a forecabin - even if doubling as sail storage (the plus to that, above adding more berths for family, who likely traditionally would have stayed onshore - is that provides a double bed, for in port jiggy jiggy ....without having to alter the Saloon layout).

Obviously it is a layout that works for many (albeit mine is still a forepeak and will be staying that way - on 30' I don't need 7 berths ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 14:00   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
...... In my cabin refit my forward cabin will have a head, work bench on the port side with such things as band saw, drill press, table saw, routing table, vise etc all of which can be stowed on the starboard and the workbench used for a 30" wide bunk with plenty of storage on the other side........
Geeez! I don't have that much in my garage! You have a shop in your V berth?
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 14:47   #70

Boat: Cape George 36

I've also started a remodeling effort, I'm still in the destruction phase. There was a "work bench" set of bins located down the starboard side. Problem is it made the berth too narrow and the forward corner kept digging into my leg all night.

Just getting started:

a bit later:

The plan is to rebuild it to match the original plans although mirror imaged since the rest of the boat is built left-handed as well.

I'm wrestling with exactly how to partition the space under the berth but I am considering avoiding the plywood decking that is usually done and instead put in euro-bed style birch slats which I will scavenge from Ikea beds. The theory being to allow better air circulation under the mattress. Something like this:
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 18:10   #71
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Geeez! I don't have that much in my garage! You have a shop in your V berth?
That's the whole idea. I will be able to continue to make stuff for my boat and doing stuff for other people will add to my cruising fund. Granted I don't have enough room to be able to have everything set up at once, but I can only fit one person in the shop at a time.
Old 25-05-2016, 19:29   #72

I know this is an old thread but found it on a search. I really like the shelves with the oval doors. What kind of wood did you use and where can I find some. Thanks
DYFLWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 19:31   #73

I know this is an old thread but found it on a search. I really like the shelves with the oval doors. What kind of wood did you use and where can I find some. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
Here is the improvements I made
Attachment 35434

I added the upper side storage under the deck on each side with the oval doors to match the existing cabinet doors. The fill board and cushion are on a bracket step up for easy removal. Although it looks close to your feet I almost never hit it. The TV is a small under counter unit made to install under a kitchen cabinet the screen folds up when not in use. I also installed led overhead lights in several locations. Good lighting helps the place look less like a cave. Hope 1 or 2 of these ideas will help
DYFLWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 09:27   #74

Boat: Irwin 40

I used Teak to match the existing woodwork. Teak is getting harder and harder to come by and as a result more expensive. Not sure where you can get but an option is to use teak veneer on plywood to get the same results for less money.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 09:58   #75

Those propane heaters are humidity factories. I know they are vented but propane is a poor choice not withstanding the fact that they use lots of fuel. A diesel heater is much dryer and cheaper to operate. Our bodies produce a lot of moisture so a small fan really helps move air in small spaces and keeps it dryer. Insulation can really help as well as putting your bed on something that will vent moisture. Good luck
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote