Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 18:17   #2176

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
She does not have to love the sailing and I could be content exploring life through other means be it road trips in my jeep, hiking mountains, playing jazz, going to museums, riding bikes on the blueridge parkway, etc.etc
What about bowling ?
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 19:14   #2177

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
If a more famous, wealthy and/or powerful person uses those advantages to pressure or force an **unwilling** subordinate into sex,

that is very different from an attractive person **seeking** to gain benefits in exchange for sex.
If the subordinate is "unwilling," then by defn. there is no consent and the sex would be coerced. Or are you suggesting that the mere presence of a "wealthy and/or powerful person" renders a woman incapable of refusing consent? Sounds more than a little patronizing if not absurd.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 19:48   #2178

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
She does not have to love the sailing and I could be content exploring life through other means be it road trips in my jeep, hiking mountains, playing jazz, going to museums, riding bikes on the blueridge parkway, etc.etc Sailing is just one means of experiencing life and to get a full value of an experience....it must be shared.
My wife had never boated and I was thrilled when she did love it. However, had she not, we would have found ways to love life together doing plenty of other things. We love plenty of other things in life. Music. Tennis. Basketball. Art. Travel. Friends. Working with kids. We share so much, not just the love of boating. We don't have enough time for all we love as it is.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 20:23   #2179

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
In the early 1980's I spent a lot of time exploring the mostly unvisited atolls of the newly founded Federation of Micronesia.

Those days the women were bare breasted, but covered their thighs as that was seen as an open invitation to have sex with them. (We had to warn our female passengers and crew to cover up the legs)

There was no word in their language for Rape and the young men would carve out their own "love stick", that they used to ensnare the girl's hair at night in the huts.

She would feel the carving and recognise who the owner was
.... if she did not pull it out...the guy came in and climbed on top.

Seems that we have developed a very complicated and inefficient way of doing what just comes natural.
Where can I get one of those sticks?
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 20:32   #2180
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Despite a gentle encouragement to keep this thread boating related, Its disappointing to see that the reality is that the advice has been overlooked or ignored. It seems I cant help the helpless. Unless you heed the advice, you will turn up here and find a mod has put the closed forever sign on the door. The choice is yours.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 20:37   #2181
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Sorry again Weavis, will get back on track...but FYI, the love stick is a popular tourist item that doesn't take up much space on a boat

You can probable get online these days

https://www.visit-chuuk.com/index.php/chuuk-handicrafts
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 20:43   #2182

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Despite a gentle encouragement to keep this thread boating related, Its disappointing to see that the reality is that the advice has been overlooked or ignored. It seems I cant help the helpless. Unless you heed the advice, you will turn up here and find a mod has put the closed forever sign on the door. The choice is yours.
Thought this thread was about an old guy living in an RV hustling young broads.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:55   #2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Sorry Mellisa, I just don't understand ?
Around here they mean "I work undercover for Israel".
Old 05-02-2018, 03:21   #2184

Boat: seems it wasn't in the cards

i've been super busy crew, swamped by work mostly.... have it on my list to get back to quite a few on here... but only have a moment

in keeping things boat-related, i really enjoyed Pelagic's account of his sweetheart squeezing in behind the engine, taking pictures of places he's never seen. who was it who found a girl who helped with the hull? i enjoyed this story too...

i'm not ready for a relationship, guys, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not write me sweet private messages (thank you), but i want you guys to know that there are those girls who really and truly LOVE everything about sailboats. there are those who are good at squeezing in around greasy corners with tools and a clear view of what bolt to turn and why. there are those who know how to prep the butyl tape (temperature-wise) for the job at hand. there are those gals who whip out the notepad to write the needed piece in the right place, just to pull it out again once in the hardware store. there are those gals who love adventure and the sea and sailing.

Gamayun, who os clearly an adventurous sailor-chic told us how she was a wild thing when she was young. i was too. i was that kid who had to climb to the very top of every tree. i tied palm leaves to my arms and jumped from high places in an attempt to fly. i talked to animals, rode horses across frills and in forests. i charged toward spooky things my imagination had taken a hold of in the night.

how about you other salty girls on here? were you playing with dolls and wearing pink or were you a wild thing?
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:07   #2185
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

I think men have problems finding women to sail with them because they don't think or look outside the box.. they're scared to step outside their socioeconomic circle/environment so end up with the same results time after time.
Go to the islands, the Costa's, Algarve etc.. what do you see.. huddles of ex-pats grouped together drinking and bitching about the heat, the food and the damn foreigners..
I am lucky.. I came from a 'privileged' background but always preferred the other side of the tracks.. could be the fact there were non my age or race to keep me on the straight and narrow as a kid..
My female 'crew/companions' over the years have ranged from barmaid, carpenter (Shaker/Canoes), dressmaker, personnel manager for a city bank, blood analyst, assistant to Black Rod, shop lifter, beautician amongst one or two others.. with a lot more rejected for various reasons..
The above have sailed with me on boats as small as 23ft and as large as 39ft.. the lady from Westminster lived and sailed with me on the 23 and then the Med on a 30ftr for 4 years, her daughter giving birth brought that to an end.. women love babies..
The City banker in the Caribe and the S coast UK..
Maybe look inwards for the problem.. and switch off the neon sign.
Is that better Weavis..
PS: And.. I have only ever owned what some on here call 'piece of crap' boats.. apart from my 331 Bene..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:28   #2186
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We have a great bunch of mods. The one thing we have to do unilaterally is keep the rules. Whilst I might be the one making the suggestions, (trying to keep it open) Im just one of many who have the onerous job of keeping the topics boating related, pleasant and helpful.

This one has crossed the line with language, with totally off topic discussions and moved away from the central theme several times. I have enjoyed most of the thread but am reminded that if it strays too far... then the thread has no relevance to boating and the admins will shut the door. Look at the title of this thread and try and keep within the concept. Help yourselves. The original poster has long gone and several posts of his era were removed to keep it on topic...
Old 05-02-2018, 04:41   #2187
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

PS: And.. I have only ever owned what some on here call 'piece of crap' boats.. apart from my 331 Bene..
SOME.... all boats have their own beauty and abilities. There is a huge difference in viewpoint regarding boats from the English point of view and other countries. Somehow with good skippering these less appreciated vessels end up where they are going..
Old 05-02-2018, 04:51   #2188
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
We have a great bunch of mods. The one thing we have to do unilaterally is keep the rules. Whilst I might be the one making the suggestions, (trying to keep it open) Im just one of many who have the onerous job of keeping the topics boating related, pleasant and helpful.

This one has crossed the line with language, with totally off topic discussions and moved away from the central theme several times. I have enjoyed most of the thread but am reminded that if it strays too far... then the thread has no relevance to boating and the admins will shut the door. Look at the title of this thread and try and keep within the concept. Help yourselves. The original poster has long gone and several posts of his era were removed to keep it on topic...
That's like asking a sailor to move on coz the Rums finished..
Usually they just switch to Gin or Tequila and stay..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:01   #2189

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
If the subordinate is "unwilling," then by defn. there is no consent and the sex would be coerced. Or are you suggesting that the mere presence of a "wealthy and/or powerful person" renders a woman incapable of refusing consent? Sounds more than a little patronizing if not absurd.
Hi Exile, complex issue at best! A young starlet trying to get a role in Hollywood against thousand of other beautiful and talented women is not a job for the weak hearted. Cecile DeMille ( Spelling??) was infamous for his interviews. Guys like Harvey Weinstein are what can be termed "gate keepers". They exact a toll. What we are seeing now, almost daily, is the end of generations of 'business as usual'.

For a woman in her prime to make her reputation with just one solid movie... she goes from a barista to a celebrity status overnight. Is it not a huge dilemma for her? Did u see La La Land? The risks and disappointments that young starlets go through are ball breakers. You just have to hit one good script and your mark is made. Now u r known and it gets easier. Women and men have been selling themselves for less for Millenium. At least it is a known quantity and a certain amount of time. I ain't sayin it is right. Obviously 'the business as usual model' time has passed.

When u r young and beautiful woman ... confronted with the dilemma of getting hinkky with Weinstein to get a role that will make u millions of dollars... is it worth the worth the money? If I was in her place ... a bottle of vodka and multiple lines of cocaine would be required.

I have worked for 40 years as a scientist. That is close to 100,000 hours of work with all of the overtime I've done. A young starlet on a good movie makes more than I did in a lifetime of work with just one movie. How long was her interview ?
People in power have the capacity to exact a toll. In won't stop with the Harvey Weinsteins of the world. How did Monica Lewinsky get face time with Prez Clinton? She showed her willingness.

So, is it patronizing? I can say that I believe that when a person is trying to climb the ladder that they are faced with huge dilemmas of people who are gate keepers who control their destiny.

Here is an example. There was a movie Years ago with Meryl Streep as the top dog in a fashion magazine like Vogue. She gets a new assistant. Girls would kill each other to get this position. You get to go to all the prime shows in Italy, France, and NYC. You get fashion cast offs that are worth a years salary for the common working class girl. Because Meryl is the boss she uses her position weight to exact her toll. Buy me a steak and deliver it here. Pick me up a latte with xxx!!! You say nothing. U just do it.

Exile, this isn't gender based. It is power based. For the assistant to refuse to pick up the coffee would be an affront to the boss. U pay your dues or u r out on your ear. So, yes, I can see ( doesn't mean I agree with it) how women or men can be "incapable" of refusing to do what people in power bid them to do. To do otherwise... in many situations would end their job. Let's be perfectly clear. I am not saying it is right. But there are hundreds of situations all of us could collectively remember... not sexually related.... where people in power exact a toll and it would be imprudent to refuse.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:23   #2190
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Especially on a boat.

(Just trying to keep it On Topic)
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single