Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 10:55   #61

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi
Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
Good lord that Unity is perfect!
Yup, that Unity RV is a sexy, sexy thing... might be just what you need. The women folk will love it. And you are right, there is such a balance that you can have by exploring the land, and have a great RV to make life comfortable. I was at a music festival recently and the man pulled up next to me with his new mercedes van, no interior yet. He got divorced and decided to hit the road traveling to music festivals. I think he was planning on fixing up the interior. But in the meantime, he figured out how to strap his tent to the roof (very high roof on those mercedes vans) and he built a ladder to get up there. Did all that figuring out stuff while sober, yes indeed... but what he did not factor in was how he would climb that ladder at night after the booze and drugs. He did not get to spend one night in his rooftop penthouse tent during that festival.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:59   #62

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Can you not tell when your leg is being pulled? No one's going to change this guy's mind in any way. Stop encouraging him. He's just bored.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:01   #63

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Can you not tell when your leg is being pulled? No one's going to change this guy's mind in any way. Stop encouraging him. He's just bored.
What if I am bored too?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:02   #64

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
"Do what you love and they will find you."

Truer words have never been spoken.

I love to travel, not to muck around with fiberglass, epoxy, paint and other hazardous crap.

Always viewed boats as a great way to travel. Just not building one.

Box trucks don't affect my dating, though. I did the same with my last one as I do right now.

This is going to sound terrible, but im baring all here...

I meet about 1 new girl a day, narrow that down to 2 or 3 new dates a week. I narrow that down to only really cool ones who don't mind my van for example that I already did this in to a limited extent.

(keep in mind nobody knows anything about this until 3 rd date or so)

After all that narrowing, I still have a new girl every week or 2. They haven't been compatible or haven't been down with boats.

Several have been down for traveling in a custom RV, but the boat project prevented me from doing that.

Literally lost 3 to other dudes with RVs. No joke. They do want road trips and international travel. They care nothing foir boats, in my experience.
That just sounds like a lot of work! All those 1st through 3rd-4th dates that is. No wonder the boat project consumes whatever time you may have remaining!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:02   #65

Quote:
...and lonely, and licking wounds, and somewhat delusional.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:04   #66

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

I love this forum--where else can you get so much incredible information ensconced in so much entertainment?

On the other side of this discussion, a real sailor lass who loves everything about boats/boating, long passages, improvising, periods of comfort deprivation, long watches, etc., it is a challenge to find good single men who have realistic assessments of themselves as sailors, craftsmen, etc. Example:
a good friend of mine did a fabulous job rebuilding the engine on his great sailboat that he had fully refit. We went for a sail, and yes, that engine purred when leaving and then returning to the slip. Upon looking at the beautiful job reinstalling the engine-- "ooing and ahhhing" at the installation, I noticed that the non-metal gas tank was deformed and looking dangerously old and decrepit. It was trapped in its perch behind the newly rebuilt and installed engine and certainly would require removing the engine again to get it out. I was stupified that he had not thoroughly gone through the whole engine compartment/area before reinstalling the engine to have reevaluated the viability of this old gas tank, (gas, not diesel). I made a mental note not to go sailing on his boat again with that sketchy tank. He seemed mortified that he hadn't thought of looking at the tank. (I was mortified that he hadn't taken advantage of the engine being out to thoroughly go through the whole compartment). It left me wondering what else needed closer attention on his boat--i.e. through-hull valves, dripless gland, electrical., batteries, etc.--things that keep the boat afloat and going--safely.

I have sailed with many couples to many distant places and the most harmonious experiences on their boats were not necessarily the "lap of comfort", but the mutual ongoing consideration of each other and appreciation/regard for each other--good solid people that are not necessarily the "hottie" couple, but with a mutual love of adventure and exploration.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:05   #67

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sell it and get something smaller and ready to go..
Face it.. your a single guy and getting older.. time to give up the fantasy's of filling those staterooms with nubile, willing hotties and face facts..
1% of women love boats.. the other 99% view them as something to sip cocktails on in a calm sea anchored by a white beach fringed with palm trees.. then after sunset go home to the big bathroom and air conditioning..
The 'Headless Chicken Dance' is a waste of time..

why??? I expect do that... if my wife allow me...
Old 06-09-2015, 11:08   #68

Nice post, OS2Dude. I love this forum.
2hullvenus, your post re burning man is a lot more real than the hottie chick stuff.You've been sounding really shallow and needy. So do yourself a favor and listen to the advice given here, not about which RV to get, but about listening to real self first, not that frantic panicky ugly voice that screams at you.
Road trip time. I spent decades solo camping in the north and west, and it will heal you. Follow the weather: Big Bend, Chaco, Escalante, Death Valley, then up next spring to Wind River, Whitehorse, Kluane and Denali. By the time you hit Burning man next year, you'll be so much closer to being whole.
Good luck -
Talelajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:19   #69

More great advice. Thank you.

And the humor is much appreciated. ha ha ha
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:21   #70

Quote:
Wish I was bored.

Want to drive over to meet me?

Less than 2 hours from Melbourne this weekend. Flying out Wednesday.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:23   #71

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

This thread is filling with some really great posts--real heart and soul!
C Lady
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:24   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Good point... and I'm tempted, but... I actually do like/enjoy creating things that don't take half a decade to do.

I can whip out a box truck systems/interior in 3 mos by myself. I like the satisfaction of doing it myself. Have done ot multiple times before. I don't even have to think. Just do.

Also, the exterior of RVs are (trying not to use offensive words to homosexuals or mentally challenged folks).... really poorly decorated. I want it to look cool like these do.
Those Sprinters are expensive, and a homemade RV resale value is virtually zilch. Think ferro boat.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:25   #73

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

We seem to like and do similar things, so let me just say that my opinion on that "do what you love and you'll find the woman" line is that it is crap and a worthless platitude.
I can count on two fingers the number of women I know who like to sail, surf, white water kayak, camp, hike, climb gnarly walls, live for months at a time in a style not far above camping, etc. Both are already married.
I can't count high enough to list the number of guy friends I have who are looking for a partner that does all that stuff. Bottom line, the odds are not in your favor.
That said, every girl is interested in the guy with cool stories that can entertain and spark dreams, and you make for great first dates and cocktail party conversations. But that doesn't last long until the wanderlust seizes you again and the girl you've been with isn't ready to go. It sounds like you've discovered that. Maybe try your luck in Colorado or a state full of similar outdoorsy people.
You've got two options finding the girl you want to be with while doing the things you love: hope it all works out (probably a 1:25 chance) or spark a dream in just the right lady where she'll do it with you (be prepared to cast a huge net to snare the one). The other route is compromise, and I don't think you're there yet, and for those of us who love being out there more than watching Netflix, compromise is a tough thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:28   #74

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

But yeah, second doing what you want to do, right now. It may burn it out of your system, and then you'll be willing to slow down a bit or reorient. For instance, I'm almost over extended months-long solo sailing-that was my chance to recoup and it worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:36   #75

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

The thing about doing what you love..and meeting someone, is that...if you don't meet someone, you're still doing what you love. I suppose, one could always try loving something else, that attracts more like-minded females. Which could be end up being just as hit or miss.

Tags
cruising, living aboard, men, single