Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2013, 11:12   #46

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Smart Move,

It's lovely to read your joy in beginning cruising. You wrote, "The comment about the space by your stove got me thinking, I have about a foot of space open under my stove. With some minor modifications at the front, it would be the perfect place for foil, baggies, etc. So thanks again!" While that may work for you, we use that space for heavy things, pots, lids, skillets, more lids. It really depends on how much room there is there, and whether you can create a "door" for it that you can latch, so stuff doesn't go awry when heeled. The basic rule of thumb is heavy stuff low, lighter stuff higher. It's not possible for everything, of course, but we've found it a useful guideline, the past 25 yrs.

Enjoy!

Ann
Your point about keeping heavy stuff low is well taken. I have not yet done anything with this space under the stove, I'm still am still moving stuff around for a more logical and user friendly storage. I'm not sure we could easily fit a latching door in the area. One thought I had for the space, was to cut holes in the top of the shelf, so we could recess the cats food and water bowls (we have a small storage cabinet below that creates a shelf below the stove).

Thanks, Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 11:18   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post

Hello! I've relay enjoyed your thread. For the kitty sloshing might I suggest a bowl that can help? I use a Buddy Bowl but there are many out there with the similar design.

http://www.amazon.com/Buddy-Bowl-44o.../dp/B0044M0FIM

This one has more a cat size:
http://www.roadrefresher.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Jolly-Pets-Ref...road+refresher

One of mine will turn on faucets if I'm not careful. All the more reason for a foot pump.
SC
I have looked at these bowls, I'm not sure my cats would like it but you never know. I will take a look at them again.

Wow, you have to love a smart kitty, I hope our cats don't figure out how to turn on the faucet, lol!

Thanks, Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 28-05-2013, 12:14   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Six Months In & Here Is What I Have Learned

Be careful Robyn, my cat has learned how to reach up in the automatic feeder and jimmy the mechanism, causing more food to roll out. He has been obese most of his life and he doesn't like the diet we have put him on. He can also turn door handles. He could easily turn a faucet, but being a guy he prefers the toilet.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 12:32   #49
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Be careful Robyn, my cat has learned how to reach up in the automatic feeder and jimmy the mechanism, causing more food to roll out. He has been obese most of his life and he doesn't like the diet we have put him on. He can also turn door handles. He could easily turn a faucet, but being a guy he prefers the toilet.

sounds that with the right kitty treats you teach that cat to sail, or "cat" the helm at the least
Old 28-05-2013, 20:44   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

He doesn't like to leave the home, but if I ever find a kitty like him- maybe a dangly piece of rope so he steers to keep it (and the boom it is attached to) in the cockpit so he can play with it.
Now before the gaffas start, the cat is creepy smart. It would just take some time to teach him steering and have something that would make him want to steer a certain course. The problem is motivation, if he doesn't see anything in it for him (immediately) he looses interest. And I am not going to stand out there it the cockpit with kitty treats, even if he would steer. This is my boat not his!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 23:58   #51

Quote:
SM, It sounds like your doing great. If it makes you feel any better, the first two years of my boat I felt like I was just plugging leaks. Now that I have had it 4 years, all the "doing the job right" is paying off and I feel like I really am just putting on pretty stuff now, with the every other year haul out and paint (which I just completed myself, thank you very much )
Thanks, we are. Congrats on your boat projects, we haven't even talked about boat projects that involve pretty stuff yet (and our boat interior definitely needs a little TLC). I really have enjoyed the sense of accomplishment that comes from completing each boat project.
Old 29-05-2013, 00:03   #52

Quote:
Our old cat (17 years) is really smart, but being old she isn't able to jump as high as she once could so that drastically reduces the amount of mischief she can get into. At home she preferred drinking out of the faucet when she was younger, for the last few years she prefers the toilet (not very lady like!) -- even though we had the best cat fountain around.
Old 29-05-2013, 00:18   #53

Quote:
He doesn't like to leave the home, but if I ever find a kitty like him- maybe a dangly piece of rope so he steers to keep it (and the boom it is attached to) in the cockpit so he can play with it.
Now before the gaffas start, the cat is creepy smart. It would just take some time to teach him steering and have something that would make him want to steer a certain course. The problem is motivation, if he doesn't see anything in it for him (immediately) he looses interest. And I am not going to stand out there it the cockpit with kitty treats, even if he would steer. This is my boat not his!
I think you missed the part in 'Cats 101' that states you are there to serve the cat (not vice versa). I believe the boat belongs to the cat and he just lets you come along to steer! LOL