Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 09:01   #61

Boat: Nauticat 32
Re: Size is important ....or is it?

A large boat may not fit in some harbour, or its draft is too deep, or mast too tall. But the tender of that large boat is also large, and can therefore take you there safely and comfortably. In most natural harbours even small sailing boats need a dinghy for landing.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:06   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It's funny that in all of these boat size discussions, people with small ones consistently say big boats are terrifying/uneconomical/unnecessary, and people with big ones always say that we would never want a smaller one

But none of this is relevant to the OP's question so why are we rehashing it here? He's going to have professional crew, which is a very smart decision. With professional crew and no budget problems, there is really no even wrong argument against a bigger boat

With those parameters, make mine about 90'
You really really really want that garage don't you?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-09-2015, 09:07   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
That's already taken care of... ;-)

Hmmm, appears that you may have had a bit of a reading comprehension problem, with that one...

Anyway, good luck with your search... It's gotta be nice to go boat shopping, with cost being no object... And, may all the brokers you visit have airfields nearby large enough to accommodate your 3+ tonnes aeroplane...

;-)
Actually they do...the aeroplane is 5.699 tonnes as there is another silly limitation at 5.7 tonnes...... but the weight statement wasn't made to be a smartarse, merely as an example of the unintended aggravation that an arbitrarily imposed limit sometimes introduces to a user...... my size inquiry was merely if that same situation exists with boat length....my financial position is non of your, or anyone else's concern, nor is my - or my employee's skill level.

I hope that you continue to enjoy your perfectly sized boat and never have to wrestle with a fallen mast.
No boat yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:23   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by No boat yet View Post
Who are the Pardeys?
They are simply among the less than handful of great sailors who have written about everything one needs to know about sailing.

Among others: The Hiscocks, Jimmy Cornell, Beth Leonard & Evans Starzinger, John Letcher and Richard Henderson.

They were the first to coin the phrase "Go small, go now," but they wrote some very helpful sailing books about storm tactics, feeding crew, and sailing among other lands that apply to every kind and size of sailboat. They got around.

Google is your friend when you ask a question like this.

I'm sure others can chime in with some other great writers.

No need for you two to reinvent the wheel. Not these days.

While you're at it (for books) Sailing for Dummies is quite a good read, too. 'Specially since you're just starting out.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:29   #65
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No boat yet View Post

I hope that you continue to enjoy your perfectly sized boat and never have to wrestle with a fallen mast.
Thanks, but my boat is far from being "perfectly sized", for me... No question, I'd prefer she was a bit larger, but even if cost were no object, somewhere around 40-42' would be about as large as I'd ever care to go...

Seriously, I thought my suggestion to try to get a ride on a bigger boat in the ARC was not a bad one... Or, you might consider trying to get a berth on a leg or two in the Clipper Race. That would definitely give you a pretty good idea if sailing the world as a cruising couple on a yacht approaching the size and power of those boats is something you might be really up to...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:45   #66

Boat: Oyster 55

[QUOTE=Stu Jackson;1909287]They (thePardeys)are simply among the less than handful of great sailors who have written about everything one needs to know about sailing.

Among others: The Hiscocks, Jimmy Cornell, Beth Leonard & Evans Starzinger, John Letcher and Richard Henderson.

They were the first to coin the phrase "Go small, go now," but they wrote some very helpful sailing books about storm tactics, feeding crew, and sailing among other lands that apply to every kind and size of sailboat. They got around.]

I have learned a lot from reading the Pardeys, Cornell, Leonard & Starzinger, and others, but just as important as the particular bits of advice and tips and techniques they have offered is their perspectives and philosophies. After you have read some writers who are coming from different perspectives with different philosophies and circumstances, you realize that each one has a fairly well defined audience in mind, often an audience that is similar to the writer. So you have to ask yourself, "Are they writing to me?" Clearly the Pardeys' advice to "go small, go now" was not written with this OP in mind, so while it is good advice for many people, it is irrelevant and useless in this case.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:50   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Clearly the Pardeys' advice to "go small, go now" was not written with this OP in mind, so while it is good advice for many people, it is irrelevant and useless in this case.
Not sure how their book "Care & Feeding of the Cruising Crew" or something like that can be irrelevant and useless.

Everybody's gotta eat, regardless of the size of the vessel.

Your points about each author having their own perspective are valid, but what's new about that?

They won't be singlehanding, but Henderson has some very important issues that he discusses about how to sail a boat. Eventually they'll be just the two of them, and I think most of us agree that with only two on a boat, one of 'em's singlehanding while the other is off watch.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:58   #68

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
It's funny that in all of these boat size discussions, people with small ones consistently say big boats are terrifying/uneconomical/unnecessary, and people with big ones always say that we would never want a smaller one

But none of this is relevant to the OP's question so why are we rehashing it here? He's going to have professional crew, which is a very smart decision. With professional crew and no budget problems, there is really no even wrong argument against a bigger boat

With those parameters, make mine about 90'
Actually, I thought the OP also said that he & his wife may opt to sail the boat themselves after a stint with professional crew. I also read his opening post as predisposed towards a larger boat, but specifically asking for any downsides, whether it be dockage, handling, or overall 'PITA' as he put it. I agree that, with the issue of added costs eliminated, a larger boat looks mostly upside. But also considering a larger boat's need for electrical/hydraulic sail handling & anchor windlass systems -- to name but a couple of the more critical examples -- seems reasonable and responsive to the OP's questions/concerns.

I appreciate threads like this since I often single & short-hand my 47'er with electric windlass and electric furling for both the main & headsail. The boat is accordingly easy to manage by myself, but I'm always concerned about being able to deploy the manual backups if something fails in rough conditions. So when much more experienced posters like Jon E. says he personally wouldn't want to own more than 40-42', I'm not looking to bail on my bigger boat but it does give me reason to pause . . . .

Not really a big vs. small boat debate imho, Dock, more like some of those inevitable trade-offs that the admittedly inexperienced OP, as well as somewhat more experienced guys like me, might appreciate reading.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:58   #69
Eternal Member

Quote:
Well, I'm the Odd Man Out around here, no doubt about it... ;-)

Every time I somehow manage to get a sailing yacht over 50' to its destination in one piece, I breathe a heavy sigh of relief...

The toast at dinner that night is always one of thanks, and the hope that the next one is aboard a smaller boat...

I must be getting old...

;-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:07   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
You really really really want that garage don't you
Indeed I do.

I also want one professional full time crewman. Someone to do all the boat repairs and maintenance which I spend so many port days doing myself, and to take the odd watch.

Of course, one might say, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:15   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Well, I'm the Odd Man Out around here, no doubt about it... ;-)

Every time I somehow manage to get a sailing yacht over 50' to its destination in one piece, I breathe a heavy sigh of relief...

The toast at dinner that night is always one of thanks, and the hope that the next one is aboard a smaller boat...

I must be getting old...

;-)
Just the same as me

Except for me it also applies to yachts under 50', and probably more so
Old 07-09-2015, 10:24   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Actually, I thought the OP also said that he & his wife may opt to sail the boat themselves after a stint with professional crew. I also read his opening post as predisposed towards a larger boat, but specifically asking for any downsides, whether it be dockage, handling, or overall 'PITA' as he put it. I agree that, with the issue of added costs eliminated, a larger boat looks mostly upside. But also considering a larger boat's need for electrical/hydraulic sail handling & anchor windlass systems -- to name but a couple of the more critical examples -- seems reasonable and responsive to the OP's questions/concerns.

I appreciate threads like this since I often single & short-hand my 47'er with electric windlass and electric furling for both the main & headsail. The boat is accordingly easy to manage by myself, but I'm always concerned about being able to deploy the manual backups if something fails in rough conditions. So when much more experienced posters like Jon E. says he personally wouldn't want to own more than 40-42', I'm not looking to bail on my bigger boat but it does give me reason to pause . . . .

Not really a big vs. small boat debate imho, Dock, more like some of those inevitable trade-offs that the admittedly inexperienced OP, as well as somewhat more experienced guys like me, might appreciate reading.
Fair enough And certainly I value John E's opinions

But I rather discount the idea that the OP will be sailing without crew once he's tried it. You never go back, methinks
Old 07-09-2015, 10:28   #73

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Fair enough And certainly I value John E's opinions

But I rather discount the idea that the OP will be sailing without crew once he's tried it. You never go back, methinks
Crew on the boat would ruin it for me.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:30   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
They are simply among the less than handful of great sailors who have written about everything one needs to know about sailing.

They were the first to coin the phrase "Go small, go now," but they wrote some very helpful sailing books about storm tactics, feeding crew, and sailing among other lands that apply to every kind and size of sailboat. They got around.

Google is your friend when you ask a question like this.

I'm sure others can chime in with some other great writers.

No need for you two to reinvent the wheel. Not these days.

While you're at it (for books) Sailing for Dummies is quite a good read, too. 'Specially since you're just starting out.
Pardys are very much worth reading, and for the reasons you state, but the furthest from the OP's specific interests. For that, Starzingers and Morgan's Cloud would be the place to start.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:32   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
......Starzingers and Morgan's Cloud would be the place to start.
Or Dashew's Cruising Encyclopedia
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import, size