Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 10:42   #1

Boat: Beneteau 41S5
Skeeters and Citronella

Sitting in the cockpit in the evening sipping on a drink, watching the sunset, nibbling on a snack, and here they come. Skeets sure know how to ruin peace and quiet. Citronella candles help somewhat but with a breeze....... ?? Anyone ever find the magic potion/elixir??
97fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:46   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
we swear by the old fashioned mosquito coils. only trick in the tropics is to keep them dry so they burn. and unbroken makes it easier, but you can prop up the broken bits and burn them as well. On a bad night in Panama we would have 3 pieces burning in the brazier to keep them away.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:02   #3

What's in those coil things?

Some people have good luck with B-vitamins. You have to take them regularly so you have a ready supply in your system, it's not a short-response thing. They're water-soluble, so when you pee you lose any excess (turns it bright yellow too), which means you're less likely to OD. But it makes you smell bad (from a skeeter point of view, I don't think humans can tell) and they don't want your blood. Can probably find dosage info through Google.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Citronella candles and smoking coils repel mosquitoes, but you have to stay in the smoky plume to be protected.
Citronella is an essential oil of citrus plants.
The smoking coils contain pesticides.

Dr. Robert Novak, of the University of Illinois, tested these products for ABC News.
He reported that when smoke from a coil covered a human test subject's shin, the mosquitoes flew around the subject's leg and bit them on the calf!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:15   #5

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I've seen Avon, skin so soft, work pretty well on maine black flies, if you're not into using more potent chemical sprays.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:28   #6

Thanks for the feedback. I've used SKinSoSoft and it's a lot less nasty than Cutter's but it would be nice to not smell like.. chemicals before turning in.

I've heard of the B-12 thing but never tried it. I guess I will though. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:36   #7

Being new to sailing I often feel like I have very little to contribute to this forum. However, on this topic, I'm an expert. A former adventure guide and Louisiana bog native my entire life, I know a thing or two about skeeters.

Not all species respond similarly. So find what works for you. Let me go through my basic checklist. Some might be impractical for you or might not agree with the atmosphere, but just know there are a lot of tools in the toolbox. Not one will win every time.

1) Wear protective clothing with mesh
2) Erect a net over the cockpit.
3) Citronella is pretty ineffective overall in my findings. You have just as good odds with cigarette/cigar/pipe smoke.
4) Drink a cup of vinegar in the morning. You'll sweat it out and they don't like it. (most people gag at this, but in the swamp you'll do anything)
5) Use deet. Its the best overall though you might not like the feel of it. Deep Woods OFF! has always been great for us. They also make the newer rub on kinds combined with lotion or sun screen that are okay.
6) Your diet and what you wear on your person can make a difference. Diets with high garlic intake and vitamin B seem to be less attractive to the skeeters. Also avoid perfumes or anything floral. If you have access to lady finger bananas, eat lots of them, they hate that too.

Good luck!
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:42   #8

I put a whiskey and grenadine, or a rum and grenadine, in a stainless steel goblet near by. In a few hours there's usually a few dead bugs in it that would have otherwise been bothering us in the cabin.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 13:17   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
we swear by the old fashioned mosquito coils. only trick in the tropics is to keep them dry so they burn. and unbroken makes it easier, but you can prop up the broken bits and burn them as well. ---
We're with sarafina. Attacked at dusk one day by mosquitoes anchored off cape Sable, Fl., one coil under the cockpit table allowed us to dine in comfort. We keep
ours in ziplock bags.
We find Skin So Soft 50-50 with water in a spray bottle great for no-see-ems, not so hot for mosquitoes.
Old 04-05-2010, 14:03   #10

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
There's skeeters and then there's skeeters in high risk malaria areas. I travel a lot in Africa and when malaria is a risk (people die from malaria it is no joke) I use a combination of two things

1. a repellent with a high concentration of DEET. It is very bad for you but less bad than malaria

2, Avoid exposure at high risk times of day. Mosquitoes feed at night so the highest risk time is dusk when they come out hungry. Unfortunately that is when the sun sets but trying to cover up and/or be in a windy spot is a good plan.

When I am in a plain old mosquito area I use citronella. They arent perfect but they help a lot. Screens are pretty high on the list too.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 14:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I put a whiskey and grenadine, or a rum and grenadine, in a stainless steel goblet near by. In a few hours there's usually a few dead bugs in it that would have otherwise been bothering us in the cabin.
Bad enough inviting them in but now you want to buy a round of drinks for them.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 15:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSail View Post
Bad enough inviting them in but now you want to buy a round of drinks for them.
Well to be honest I've had good luck with this brand of coil as well. I've only been able to find them online but they're cheap. I think the rum just works for fruit flies which is the most common thing to annoy us here in San Diego.

Amazon.com: Mosquito Repellent Coils, 8 pack: Home Improvement
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 17:55   #13

Boat: Island Packet 27, BLISS
In Campeche on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula the mosquitos are savage. But you can buy a little bottle of something called "Ya!" locally that is simply amazing. And it's herbal and non-toxic (except to the skeeters).

Mosquitos generally leave me alone, but a friend I was travelling with was being eaten alive by them as we were trying to have our dinner at a lovely outdoor restaurant -- to the point where she was nearly in tears. The restaurant manager brought a bottle of "Ya!" and my friend sprayed it all over herself. Not only did it stop the little monsters from biting her, it made the many bites she already had stop itching and burning.

I've not been able to find it anywhere else, but if you happen to be anywhere in the Yucatan, look for it -- and stock up!
Gracias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 19:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracias View Post
In Campeche on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula the mosquitos are savage. But you can buy a little bottle of something called "Ya!" locally that is simply amazing. And it's herbal and non-toxic (except to the skeeters).

Mosquitos generally leave me alone, but a friend I was travelling with was being eaten alive by them as we were trying to have our dinner at a lovely outdoor restaurant -- to the point where she was nearly in tears. The restaurant manager brought a bottle of "Ya!" and my friend sprayed it all over herself. Not only did it stop the little monsters from biting her, it made the many bites she already had stop itching and burning.

I've not been able to find it anywhere else, but if you happen to be anywhere in the Yucatan, look for it -- and stock up!
Ya Mate natural & organic insect repellent - products and services from Ya Mate natural/organic insect repellent

Does this look like da kine?

And thanks to ALL of you.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:11   #15

Boat: 30ft-Acen
amazing trick is burning coconut husks, works as good as the candles and what not but free and all over the place. but its like everything only good if you're in the smoke, deet is stil the greatest, and it seems even if you're waring pants the little monsters can get you.
ShadowRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote