Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2023, 15:43   #31

Boat: 2018 Jeanneau 419
Re: Solar system questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
I AM SOLAR INDEPENDENT .
Nice!!!

what brand solar and power?

I lived in Bora Bora for a year. Tell my friends Iaorana!
Xavierp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 00:55   #32

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavierp View Post
even the solar panels? Do they have panels?
If not, what panels do you have?

And thx for the answer.

Seems like you have a great set up

Tell me more about the small washing machine... Seems like it's only in Europe that we can find one
Go to any RV store - they have 3-4kg machines. Our boat came with a Camec 4kg front loader purchased in 2014. We had to replace the control panel board a couple of years ago. Uses between 30-50 litres of water depending on wash cycle. Power draw (AC) is minimal. We often double spin as articles hang dry faster. We don’t miss having a dryer, though you can buy more expensive dual mode machines.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:35   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Go to any RV store - they have 3-4kg machines. Our boat came with a Camec 4kg front loader purchased in 2014. We had to replace the control panel board a couple of years ago. Uses between 30-50 litres of water depending on wash cycle. Power draw (AC) is minimal. We often double spin as articles hang dry faster. We don’t miss having a dryer, though you can buy more expensive dual mode machines.
Thx a lot
Old 06-12-2023, 16:29   #34

Boat: Privilege 37

What kind of Liveaboard do you plan on being?

My wife and I lived aboard for 3.5 years. 2 of those years were cruising, 1.5 years were in a marina.

Solar/wind/fuel were essential when we were cruising. Heavy emphasis on solar as it was the most carefree, cost effective approach.

While we were in the marina, the emphasis changed drastically. Shore power was the most cost effective. Pickled the Watermaker as a dock hose provided all water. Stored the water and fuel jugs. Still did the propane tanks, used a portable indoor propane heater when it got cold.

So, what kind of liveaboard, or did I miss that?
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 17:36   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
What kind of Liveaboard do you plan on being?

So, what kind of liveaboard, or did I miss that?
Off shore.
1200W solar
viltron set up
Old 06-12-2023, 18:01   #36

Boat: Privilege 37

A/C significantly shifts the power requirements. If you're offshore, I think you'll need a bigger inverter, something closer to 3500 or more watts, I'd probably do 5k. You'll probably need closer to 2400 watts of solar or count more on fuel/wind. Fuel may not be practical if you're completely offshore for extended periods. That leaves wind, or towed. Nobody really like wind after a while, so back to solar, you'll be glad you did.

With that much solar you'll probably have three or so clusters. Each cluster should have its own MPPT (Victron) controller. Lithium (LifPOE) batteries are desired. Scale these to match your charging source.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 07:25   #37
CLOD

Boat: none

I use 150-200ah in anchor out mode, which includes 2-4 hours of watching streaming shows via my Starlink. I have 640W of solar and 400ah of LFP batteries.

This time year in Florida and the Bahamas I can normally count on 100-150ah of solar on a good day. But come April can count on 200ah. So I need to make that up.

I used to have a small 4KW diesel generator. I hated that thing for the noise and maintenance. Right before it last broke I had gotten a Honda EU2200 and liked it so much better that the DG that I didn't fix it AGAIN.

Unless you have a boat that can handle installing 1000W or more solar, space for 1000ah of batteries to get past the cloudy days etc. , you really need a generator. Yeah life can be lived without one, but the boat joy really improves with just an hour/day of generator run time.

Tags
solar