Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 09:56   #46
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Someone keeps adjusting my dockline

Quote:
. There is no such crime as sabotage. If, and only if damage rises from them touching your lines would it be illegal. Otherwise there is no law covering this.
obviously damage can and will occur if somebody keeps untying your dock lines.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:10   #47

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
I recommend one of these 3 options:
1) Get a webcam and set it up so you can see who's doing it, and you'll have proof. Get them tossed from the marina.
2) Get a motion detector water sprayer (used to repel animals safely). Hook it up to your hose and wait until you hear them get sprayed (be sure to disarm it when coming and going)
3) Do both, and submit the video here afterwards for a good laugh.
I second #3!!!

Or......and I really dont mean this as an insult but.......you could grow a pair and say Hi, what are you doing? Life is full of uncomfortable situations, you cant hide from them all. If you are worried about safety when confronting them then keep a can of wasp spray near by. It will take the fight out of anybody. If youre just worried about offending them well thats on you and learning to have a thicker skin.

Definitely let us know how it turns out and hopefully it goes over easily.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:18   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I do believe and I'm not a lawyer but I do believe the act of messing with you via adjusting your lines without any form of convent would most likely come under the heading of malicious mischief which is a misdomener here in Washington
Old 08-02-2015, 10:24   #49

Boat: Bristol 29

Why look for trouble that isn't there? If someone is adjusting your dock lines they probably are trying to help. Find out who and why and thank them for their interest. But more likely its wind, tide, current and stretch.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:26   #50

It's the NSA... you need to line your hat with tin foil..... they ARE watching........

Seriously though, I like the idea of keeping a water hose at the ready laying in the cockpit. As soon as you see the shadow, get ready, when he touches your dockline douse him good.
"Oh... sorry fella, just washing my cockpit! WTF are you doing?"

Old 08-02-2015, 10:41   #51

Boat: Coronado 23

Cheap trail camera will answer your question of who? But speak with your marina staff as well, they may be the culprit thinking your idea of taught is damaging their dock cleats. Remember any act to a person could be twisted into assault against them; depending on the laws in your area. (Jail Time).
Old 08-02-2015, 10:42   #52

Buy a $50 game camera and aim it at that cleat. If someone's messing with your line, it should be obvious on the memory card.

Or, you could save $50 and just sprinkle some tacks in that area. It worked for Joshua Slocum.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:50   #53

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

What about a mechanisms that is hooked up to the line that when touched the dock will lift up and toss him like one of those stunt person boards into the water on the other side of the docks. Yep.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-02-2015, 10:51   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Cameras, water spray, tacks...... ? Doesn't polite conversation always come first? Huge mistakes often start with a lack of civil communication.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:27   #55
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, Sassy, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't anyone out to get you. Or something like that.

You could try an old Southern post-civil-war tactic that is still used by moonshiners. String up some monofilament line with rusty fishhooks, wait to see who shows up with red infected cuts on their face (yes, string it high up) the next day.

Or lay out a bag full of cheap marbles (ornamental glass "pebbles" by the bag, any craft store or WalMart) and see what goes Thump! Splash! [Censored] in the night.

Once you realize that crabs and other bottomfeeders have to be fed Someone, ergh, something...it doesn't seem so merciless after all, does it? As we said when racing, if you leave no survivors, you spend less time in the protest room. The protest committee ain't gonna complain about that.

"My name is Ming, Ming The Merciless. But you may call me MISTER Merciless."
[Flash Gordon, unabridged version]
Old 08-02-2015, 11:31   #56
CLOD

Boat: none

What an amazing thread!

I assumed the whole thing was a joke originally. Who would have thought that common sense was so uncommon, and that the most obvious was not obvious at all?
Old 08-02-2015, 11:39   #57

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What an amazing thread!

I assumed the whole thing was a joke originally. Who would have thought that common sense was so uncommon, and that the most obvious was not obvious at all?
But why waste the time of people that mean to be helpful?
Even if helpful is not!
Old 08-02-2015, 12:07   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I know who is loosening your dock lines. Its that sneaky mother nature. No matter how tight I tie the boat up, its always looser by the next day.
I wish it was. I spent probably an hour adjusting my boat for an upcoming storm and thru the 50 MPH gusts, I did fine and hardly moved. The storm lasted a couple of days and no adjustments were necessary. A couple of weeks later the stern was poking out after enough time goes by no matter how I MYSELF adjust it. That's because someone else is undoing what I'm doing.

To address other concerns:

There is nothing wrong with the clete on the dock.

The harbormaster has said nothing to me. If I was doing something wrong why would they need to come back several times a week to adjust my lines when I haven't touched the lines myself at all? Is one adjustment not enough?

Even if it was a neighbor "seeing something wrong and fixing it"... why my farthest dock line from the main walkway? If I did something wrong with that line, why not my many others? Why "fixing it" several times a week when again, I haven't touched the lines? Why wouldn't they tell me when they saw me?

I'm in a protected marina. It's not even windy here on most days. I never rock to and fro, so the degree that my boat position keeps changing is undoubtedly due to some(one).

None of these possibilities make sense to me although I see why any of these would be a legitimate concern.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:12   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What an amazing thread!

A joke it is not, and as a single female who has had issues with stalkers yes ok I'm not comfortable confronting someone who is messing with my stuff on purpose. Doesn't mean I'm a coward or have no common sense. It means I've been in some frightening situations, and someone coming into my space and messing with my stuff is something I do not know how to address. Hence why I came here. Glad you are getting a good laugh.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:17   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's the NSA... you need to line your hat with tin foil..... they ARE watching........

Seriously though, I like the idea of keeping a water hose at the ready laying in the cockpit. As soon as you see the shadow, get ready, when he touches your dockline douse him good.
"Oh... sorry fella, just washing my cockpit! WTF are you doing?"
I could easily hide out behind my dodger, but if I had my hose in the cockpit that would be very obvious. Perhaps I'll wait with a bucket full of water instead
Closed Thread

Tags
dock