Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 16:54   #91

Re: Someone keeps adjusting my dockline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf70 View Post
Wow! 76 responses in 12 hours! I'm in the "just talk to them" camp. Or set the lines the way you want them and sieze the docklines at that point. It is very convenient to be able to come into the slip and drop the lines in place.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I've dreamed of doing something like this, but I have no idea how. It would be lovely to not have to fiddle with it after every time.
Old 08-02-2015, 16:57   #92

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Ex Ca's post 85!

Take control of the situation. This can be done safely and discreetly. Talk to the marina manager. It may be the same person. Don't hide from shadows.
If you know when it is happening a picture of the person. You can do it!
Old 08-02-2015, 16:59   #93

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmattiola View Post
Thinking this through though....several concerns immediately arise. 1- We're talking about a substance that would have to administer it's toxicity via skin contact alone ... <snip>
Or perhaps he pointed some really big speakers at his burlap cash sack and played "Talk Dirty to Me" over and over again at wine-glass-shattering volume.

Ain't nothing but a good time, no?

Really BIG speakers.

So big.
Old 08-02-2015, 17:04   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Killam View Post
My Dockmaster will move my boat if he thinks my bow is hanging too far over the dock. He will pull it back and send me a nasty note telling me how dangerous it is. Are you backed into a slip? Do you have a neighbor who might think you're impeding on his space?
Whatever this guy is doing is letting my stern into the fairway. I'm not backed into the slip, and there's only one boat next to me and he's rarely there (and is very friendly).
Old 08-02-2015, 17:10   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Here is my "real thought...

Typical of CF we have gone from a completely benign situation where a 2 minute conversation would suffice to setting poison traps and setting up machine guns on the boat.

No offence Sassy but you are way over thinking this thing - Just ask the person...

If the following example of overthink seems sexist blame Dave Barry...

Let's say a guy named Roger is attracted to a woman named Elaine. He asks her out to a movie; she accepts; they have a pretty good time. A few nights later he asks her out to dinner, and again they enjoy themselves. They continue to see each other regularly, and after a while neither one of them is seeing anybody else.

And then, one evening when they're driving home, a thought occurs to Elaine, and, without really thinking, she says it aloud: "Do you realize that, as of tonight, we've been seeing each other for exactly six months?"
Read full entry
And then there is silence in the car. To Elaine, it seems like a very loud silence. She thinks to herself: Geez, I wonder if it bothers him that I said that. Maybe he's been feeling confined by our relationship; maybe he thinks I'm trying to push him into some kind of obligation that he doesn't want, or isn't sure of.

And Roger is thinking: Gosh. Six months.

And Elaine is thinking: But, hey, I'm not so sure I want this kind of relationship, either. Sometimes I wish I had a little more space, so I'd have time to think about whether I really want us to keep going the way we are, moving steadily toward . . . I mean, where are we going? Are we just going to keep seeing each other at this level of intimacy? Are we heading toward marriage? Toward children? Toward a lifetime together? Am I ready for that level of commitment? Do I really even know this person?

And Roger is thinking: . . . so that means it was . . . let's see . . February when we started going out, which was right after I had the car at the dealer's, which means . . . lemme check the odometer . . . Whoa! I am way overdue for an oil change here.

And Elaine is thinking: He's upset. I can see it on his face. Maybe I'm reading this completely wrong. Maybe he wants more from our relationship, more intimacy, more commitment; maybe he has sensed -- even before I sensed it -- that I was feeling some reservations. Yes, I bet that's it. That's why he's so reluctant to say anything about his own feelings. He's afraid of being rejected.

And Roger is thinking: And I'm gonna have them look at the transmission again. I don't care what those morons say, it's still not shifting right. And they better not try to blame it on the cold weather this time. What cold weather? It's 87 degrees out, and this thing is shifting like a garbage truck, and I paid those incompetent thieves $600.

And Elaine is thinking: He's angry. And I don't blame him. I'd be angry, too. I feel so guilty, putting him through this, but I can't help the way I feel. I'm just not sure.

And Roger is thinking: They'll probably say it's only a 90- day warranty. That's exactly what they're gonna say, the scumballs.

And Elaine is thinking: maybe I'm just too idealistic, waiting for a knight to come riding up on his white horse, when I'm sitting right next to a perfectly good person, a person I enjoy being with, a person I truly do care about, a person who seems to truly care about me. A person who is in pain because of my self-centered, schoolgirl romantic fantasy.

And Roger is thinking: Warranty? They want a warranty? I'll give them a warranty. I'll take their warranty and stick it right up their ......

"Roger," Elaine says aloud.

"What?" says Roger, startled.

"Please don't torture yourself like this," she says, her eyes beginning to brim with tears. "Maybe I should never have . . Oh, I feel so......"

(She breaks down, sobbing.)

"What?" says Roger.

"I'm such a fool," Elaine sobs. "I mean, I know there's no knight. I really know that. It's silly. There's no knight, and there's no horse."

"There's no horse?" says Roger.

"You think I'm a fool, don't you?" Elaine says.

"No!" says Roger, glad to finally know the correct answer.

"It's just that . . . It's that I . . . I need some time," Elaine says.

(There is a 15-second pause while Roger, thinking as fast as he can, tries to come up with a safe response. Finally he comes up with one that he thinks might work.)

"Yes," he says.

(Elaine, deeply moved, touches his hand.)

"Oh, Roger, do you really feel that way?" she says.

"What way?" says Roger.

"That way about time," says Elaine.

"Oh," says Roger. "Yes."

(Elaine turns to face him and gazes deeply into his eyes, causing him to become very nervous about what she might say next, especially if it involves a horse. At last she speaks.)

"Thank you, Roger," she says.

"Thank you," says Roger.

Then he takes her home, and she lies on her bed, a conflicted, tortured soul, and weeps until dawn, whereas when Roger gets back to his place, he opens a bag of Doritos, turns on the TV, and immediately becomes deeply involved in a rerun of a tennis match between two Czechoslovakians he never heard of. A tiny voice in the far recesses of his mind tells him that something major was going on back there in the car, but he is pretty sure there is no way he would ever understand what, and so he figures it's better if he doesn't think about it.

The next day Elaine will call her closest friend, or perhaps two of them, and they will talk about this situation for six straight hours. In painstaking detail, they will analyze everything she said and everything he said, going over it time and time again, exploring every word, expression, and gesture for nuances of meaning, considering every possible ramification. They will continue to discuss this subject, off and on, for weeks, maybe months, never reaching any definite conclusions, but never getting bored with it, either.

Meanwhile, Roger, while playing racquetball one day with a mutual friend of his and Elaine's, will pause just before serving, frown, and say:

"Norm, did Elaine ever own a horse?"
I've read this online before, and yes it is so true! I didn't expect this to be so popular. I was just unable to sleep last night and a lightbulb clicked. I wasn't sure what to do. I'm trying to think of as many things as people are suggesting, but in the end I know something just isn't right. It's just a feeling in my gut, all I can say.
Old 08-02-2015, 17:16   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
This was my initial thought - non-floating finger and some weird good Samaritan.

But I know Sassy is smarter than that and knows how to tie a boat.
I didn't realize there were fingers that didn't float... but I guess that's more for a lake? I'm definitely in some salty water. And I am not always the brightest, but after three years I haven't had a problem tying boat up so I hope I know a little of something!
Old 08-02-2015, 17:36   #97

Boat: Camano Troll

SassySailor, You have been given a few different suggestions of how to set your docklines so they cannot be easily tampered with. You haven't acknowledged these suggestions and the thread keeps going on and on with some really idiotic posts.

To make things simple, why don't you follow the suggestions to make it so people can't readjust the lines. If you do this, the problem will either go away or the person who is supposedly adjusting them will come to you and tell you why he or she is doing it.

End of drama.
Old 08-02-2015, 17:38   #98

Boat: 1980 Hunter 30' , 1983 Islander a Freeport 41

During the summer we dock dwellers, have been known to shorten supposedly permanent length lines of our more experienced sailing comrades and sit patiently swilling cold drinks and watching the show as they return to their dock and puzzle over the delima. Our laughter and the offering of cold beverages assuages their embarrassment and their pride.
Old 08-02-2015, 17:48   #99
cruiser

Just leave a note explaining that you prefer to adjust your own dock lines. I believe I suggested this in the first several posts before paranoia took hold of the thread. Apparently most of the folks frequenting this thread don't live in a city where this kind of stuff happens all the time. Geez... nearly every person living near us looks suspicious here in Whoville, but nearly all of them are pretty harmless.

Probably and most likely a Good Samaritan just trying to lend a hand. If you're worried about a stalker... Get a gun and sleep tight, but don't accidentally shoot some guy who's just trying to help out.
Old 08-02-2015, 18:03   #100

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Ex-Calif, LMAO. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2015, 18:10   #101

Lordy! Lordy! just don't leave us hanging. I read this whole thing and I can't imagine this, and the ending has to be something astounding. Mac, who waits with baited breath and tingles running up and down my spine.
Old 08-02-2015, 18:16   #102

Boat: Cape Dory 31

If you are timid call 911 the next time you catch the perp in the act. Let the authorities handle the situation. If you are willing to confront the perp there is no need to be confrontational. Be firm and stick to the facts, show no emotion. Inform the perp that they are never to touch your lines in the future, period, and walk away.
Old 08-02-2015, 18:28   #103

Boat: Ranger 33'

I have figured it out< you are sleep walking
Old 08-02-2015, 18:32   #104

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
I've dreamed of doing something like this, but I have no idea how. It would be lovely to not have to fiddle with it after every time.
Here's a video as good as any I have seen.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...85464276,d.dGY

Just try to get the lengths right before you splice, and remember to add about two inches to the lines for each spliced end for lost length from the splicing, it bunches up quite a bit, even when you get it nice and neat.

A good fid makes the job a lot easier on the hands, but even with the fid, your hands will be tired after one or two ends.

Swedish Fid - Large - Splicing Tools

I love splicing though, very relaxing and there's something very satisfying about perfectly spliced docking lines.

Matt
Old 08-02-2015, 18:45   #105

Instead of speculating about it on the internet, why don't you just ask them why they are doing it, and /or to stop it? A sign would do.

Tags
dock