Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2010, 21:21   #31

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
That Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I agree with talking to the Harbormaster and letting it become his or her problem. Its not right to have a foul smelling boat that makes life miserable for the surrounding berthers.
I would hate to be surrounded by foul smelling birthers.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 18:25   #32

Boat: Catalina 27
Harbor patrol high pressure sprayed it down, so its a lot better now. l guess it was sea lions. Didn't know they could make it smell that bad.
KateJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 20:52   #33

Boat: Jeanneua 36
I flew to fiji to prepare my mates boat(60ft glass cutter)for delivery back to kiwi,it being tied up for 4months(in 30 odd deg.)She looked pretty good,a few spiders & what have u.Down below i opened the frige(bluddy closed)MY GOD!!!!!!! the pong,some body had left some i dont no what it was but it could walk now;looked like something out of the alliens Alot of scrubbing and disinfectent finnally got rid of IT.Did i tell u about the cockroashes.......
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 19:31   #34

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
You want a pong, the second Grampian I bought had been abandoned by the owner for about 4 years when the marina listed it for sail to get the storage out of it. When we went aboard with the surveyor, he opened up the ice box and we found 4 year old eggs.

Nuff said.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 20:48   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Ok, since we're sharing bad smell stories, I used to have a 36' sport fish that I chartered out. A group took it over to the Bahamas for a 2 week trip and dropped it back at the marina in West Palm Beach. The charter party neglected to tell me the head had stopped up for the last 2-3 days of the trip. Then coming back to FL it got rough in the Gulf Stream and a couple of the guys got sea sick which they added to the mix.

I was traveling and couldn't get back to the back for almost a month, mid summer in south Florida, the boat closed up the whole time, cooking. The cleanup was not fun.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 21:00   #36

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySt View Post
Probably not a good idea... (could not find a smiley of a puking man, surprising for a cruisers forum).

and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 23:08   #37

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
My mate, Big Al had an aluminum skiff with a day cabin and a Mink moved aboard, eating anythink mildly organic like oilskins, hoseline, rope etc.

Mink are part of the polecat family and have the nastiest habit of lifting their tail and dumping on vertical surfaces like trees, but in this case, all up the walls.

The stench was all pervading and took Al weeks and weeks to trap and dispose of the little bugger, and shortly after, another moved in. (Prob the mate of the first)
Old 29-06-2010, 09:12   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I was walking down the dock to the boat one day and smelled an aweful stench. I was feeling pretty sorry for the poor schmuck who had to deal with it. When I opened the hatch I found out I was the poor schmuck. The portapotty had leaked and had run all over leaving this gel I had to clean. Mid August on the Chesapeake can really cook the stuff.

Ugh.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 07:59   #39

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
My mate, Big Al had an aluminum skiff with a day cabin and a Mink moved aboard, eating anythink mildly organic like oilskins, hoseline, rope etc.

Mink are part of the polecat family and have the nastiest habit of lifting their tail and dumping on vertical surfaces like trees, but in this case, all up the walls.

The stench was all pervading and took Al weeks and weeks to trap and dispose of the little bugger, and shortly after, another moved in. (Prob the mate of the first)
I can't imagine! Have trapped a few that were eating the chickens years ago and it was hard to get near them...In a boat, ...probably a heck of a "deal' for sombody....And to think, if maddam so and so only knew what she was wearing around her neck..Mink stink!
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 15:30   #40

Worst I've smelled wasn't on a boat. When our high school's home-ec teacher quit a few years ago, I took over her class for the last 6 weeks of the year. Wondering the whole time why the kids flatly refused to use one of the lab stations (kitchens) on cooking days, complaining about "a smell". Sure enough, get close to it, started to smell pretty bad. After last final exam was over, started pulling things out of cabinets to try to find the source. I know I'm getting closer when the smell takes on the unmistakable reek of Death. Finally, all the way in the back of the very bottom cabinet I find: A chicken breast, carefully pounded flat and spread out on the shelf! No idea why it didn't grow mold, just sort of turned to jelly that had to be scraped off. Took over half an hour because I had to keep crawling out for fresh air.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:36   #41

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'
another live aboard with a dog boat anchored near me, he never takes his big dog to shore and it craps all over the deck and (I assume) the cabin. When the wind blew from his direction the smell was awful. My dog is trained to the "poop deck" too but I keep it clean, she's getting to the "direct deposit" method pretty well.
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 22:45   #42

Boat: trojan,sportfisherman,36
my dog holds it till I let her either jump in the bay or take her to the grass lol
barryfish is offline   Reply With Quote