Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2021, 09:53   #1

Boat: Searching
Starting my life as a liveaboard and cruiser

Hello

Im currently saving up money to buy a 38 to 45ft cat and liveaboard cruising the world.
Hopefully i can explain some of my plan good enough and can get some feedback or tips.

I curently work at a 83meter filet trawler in norway and work 5 weeks on and have 5 weeks off after.

The plan is to take 2 trips at work and work for 10 weeks straight then cruise the rest of the year.

10 weeks work wil get me arround 55,000usd and hopefully thats enough for 9 months of cruising, if not i can take one more trip to work for more money.

Im 33 years old and single so i wil be sailing solo most of the time but for longer trips i wil get a crew.

As for sailing experience i have allmost zero but i have lived and worked at sea since i was 16 years old so im defenetly not a landcrab. im going to start sailing courses when i get home from work and im getting all the licences i need and wil sail with a experienced sailor when i start out.

Sorry for my bad english and thank you so much if you take the time to read and give some feedback 😁
tonyj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 10:13   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Starting my life as a liveaboard and cruiser

Cruising costs will depend on your area and how much money you have to put into boat repairs. Scandanavia is expensive, but $6,000 usd a month should be more than enough for 1-2 people without major repairs.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 10:19   #3

Should have mentioned that i wil be far away from scandinavia and the cold weather here ��
Where i start out wil depend on where i buy the boat, im currently looking at leopards and lagoons 2015 and up so most likely i wil start out in the bahamas or bvi where there are the most boats for sale ��
Old 18-07-2021, 10:26   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-213259-2.html
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 10:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Cruising costs will depend on your area and how much money you have to put into boat repairs. Scandanavia is expensive, but $6,000 usd a month should be more than enough for 1-2 people without major repairs.
6000usd is for everything from boat to food and fees so with a 2015 model or above i hopefully can keep the maintenance and repair on a manageble level and also put littlebit away every month for unaxpected surprises (that wil come) and for upgrades and comfort and still have a few dollars for beer ��
Old 18-07-2021, 10:52   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyj88 View Post
6000usd is for everything from boat to food and fees so with a 2015 model or above i hopefully can keep the maintenance and repair on a manageble level and also put littlebit away every month for unaxpected surprises (that wil come) and for upgrades and comfort and still have a few dollars for beer ��
There will be numerous unexpected expenses…
I did almost the same as you: Came from Norway back in the 80s, bought a 44’ monohull in the USVI and cruised the Caribbean for 3 years as a full time liveaboard. Boats have teeth and they are always hungry, plan on feeding them money and work constantly.

That being said, it was worth every penny..

Since then I bought a smaller CSY 33 and cruised the Bahamas and Florida for 14 years. All good, but lots of maintenance and expenses if you want the boat in Bristol Shape at all times.
(Maybe that is where I went wrong, wanted the boat to be perfect always and there is no such thing, perfect boat.)

At any rate, good luck and always follow the dream.
Old 18-07-2021, 12:11   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyj88 View Post
Hello

Im currently saving up money to buy a 38 to 45ft cat and liveaboard cruising the world.

I curently work at a 83meter filet trawler in norway and work 5 weeks on and have 5 weeks off after.
You are a young,good hard worker. But your plan is not 100% good. catamaran in caribian almost all is under huge stress,damaged from storm, rain, UV, coral underwater growth and finally charter crew from US.

i suggest saving 150000 + € take a loan on your salary 200-300 000€ open small company for VAT return and charter this catamaran in Croatia,turkey or Greece ask this greece company https://www.kiriacoulis.com/sales/yacht-ownership/

best location for charter is of corse Croatia becouse wind is not strong,distance from island to island is 5-10 nm boat is ussualy in marina or mooring in bay and Croatia dont have corral reef. Greece is huge distance betwen island and wind is stronger lot boat is damaged in port. After 3 year you have booat in relative good condition.
i suggest nautitech 40 because is more quality bulit for private use,not charter except 46 fly. have foam core, not balsa and is light. outremer, balance is to expensive. in winter you can use boat ,you are from norway mediteranean winter is for you just whether not hot not cold
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 07:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
There will be numerous unexpected expenses…
I did almost the same as you: Came from Norway back in the 80s, bought a 44’ monohull in the USVI and cruised the Caribbean for 3 years as a full time liveaboard. Boats have teeth and they are always hungry, plan on feeding them money and work constantly.

That being said, it was worth every penny..

Since then I bought a smaller CSY 33 and cruised the Bahamas and Florida for 14 years. All good, but lots of maintenance and expenses if you want the boat in Bristol Shape at all times.
(Maybe that is where I went wrong, wanted the boat to be perfect always and there is no such thing, perfect boat.)

At any rate, good luck and always follow the dream.
Thats so good to hear then my plan might just work.

I know it wil be alot of maintanance and money that wil go into this but im exited about it and really cant wait to get started and maintanance in tropical locations is right down my ally ��

To keep the boat at bristol condition maybe over the top but knowing myself i wil do the same, i like taking good care of my belongings, especially the expensive stuff and a boat demands alot of love and care but wil give the same back if you get it right and then it wil be worth it all.

Hope to see you out there and thank you for taking the time to reply ��⛵️��
Old 19-07-2021, 07:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
You are a young,good hard worker. But your plan is not 100% good. catamaran in caribian almost all is under huge stress,damaged from storm, rain, UV, coral underwater growth and finally charter crew from US.

i suggest saving 150000 + € take a loan on your salary 200-300 000€ open small company for VAT return and charter this catamaran in Croatia,turkey or Greece ask this greece company https://www.kiriacoulis.com/sales/yacht-ownership/

best location for charter is of corse Croatia becouse wind is not strong,distance from island to island is 5-10 nm boat is ussualy in marina or mooring in bay and Croatia dont have corral reef. Greece is huge distance betwen island and wind is stronger lot boat is damaged in port. After 3 year you have booat in relative good condition.
i suggest nautitech 40 because is more quality bulit for private use,not charter except 46 fly. have foam core, not balsa and is light. outremer, balance is to expensive. in winter you can use boat ,you are from norway mediteranean winter is for you just whether not hot not cold
When i buy the boat i wil change my work routine and just do 10 weeks straight working in the north sea then sail the rest of the year and the boat wil be my home so to charter it out is not for me ��

Even with those challanges in the caribbean i wil go there, just have to be extra careful and put some extra time in maintanance and i think it wil be ok ��

You are spot on in price range, 2-300 000€ is what im hoping to get my cat for but to charter it out wil only make me wait longer to start cruising and in a more worn out boat. Maybe im way off here or misunderstand but if i can afford it is it not better to buy the boat and just get out there? To charter out the boat i feel is for people who want a boat they cant afford or they dont have time to cruise all that much and want to keep cost down.

Thank you for the feedback, allways good to hear what other people think and more information to take under consideration ��
Old 19-07-2021, 08:22   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. Hope to see you out there and thank you for taking the time to reply
Yeah, you may see me out there, but not in the Caribe these days, Florida Keys and the Bahamas.
Joined the dark side and got a power boat:
OdinCharters| WireFrame Home

Send me a private message if you have any questions.
Old 19-07-2021, 09:46   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post

I can't comment on your opinions regarding Croatia and Greece, since I haven't sailed or chartered or lived there. But, I have extensive experience in the Caribbean, in the charter industry and privately, and I think you are waaaaay off here. Perhaps your experience throughout the Caribbean is similar to my (non) experience in the Med?

To the OP, your idea is totally doable. One of the better cruising plans I have seen. Don't wait....do it. I started living aboard almost 40 years ago, and should have started earlier!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 10:02   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

you are 33 and solo now, but I'll take a bet you'll soon meet some girl...and all your plans will get thrown out the window...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 10:51   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
you are 33 and solo now, but I'll take a bet you'll soon meet some girl...and all your plans will get thrown out the window...
Hopefully he will find one with salt water in her blood.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 11:00   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Starting my life as a liveaboard and cruiser

Awesome plan and perfectly doable.. my only comment would be keep to the lower end of your size scale and only buy an owners version.
Caribe is a great choice and much better than the Med for what you want.. year round good sailing, sunshine and during hurricane season just stay mobile.
You get ample warning of hurricane tracks so a 48hr run N or S will get you into a safe zone no problem.. and its beam reaching..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 13:09   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

Don’t worry about the English, a large minority here are not native speakers.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, liveaboard