Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2021, 14:58   #46

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: State of Living Aboard in Florida

Does this right wing/wrong wing diatribe have to invade every thread?
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 21:22   #47

Boat: Proactively waiting to find out!

Wow! What have I started?

So I'll jump into the deep end. I'm a warm-hearted guy and take sunshine everywhere I go. LOL

And like-minded and welcoming marina operators, even in frigid Jacksonville, would make me feel warm. No state income tax would make me feel warmer still!

But dang, if memory serves, there are palm trees swaying in Jacksonville...and Spanish moss in the trees. How cold could it really be there? I've been to Fairbanks in February...voluntarily. Didn't see any palm trees there...or where I live now in Atlanta for that matter. (It seems I'm a palmaphile.) So I guess desirability is in the eye of the beholder. I appreciate the clarification. But I'm not hearing anything really scary about "up north". And I suspect it would be an improvement over where I live now. Thanks for sharing though.

Also, it sounds like the northern end has fewer legal restrictions. Or in other words, is freer. I thought free and liberal were synonyms. The English language seems to have jumped the rails.
ScottyMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 04:50   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyMR;3374980

But dang, if memory serves, there are palm trees swaying in Jacksonville...and Spanish moss in the trees. How cold could it really be there? [COLOR="Red"
I havent worn long pants in 27 months. The last time was in Jax when it was 30 degrees. That is about as cold as it gets.[/COLOR]

Also, it sounds like the northern end has fewer legal restrictions. The “legal restriction” in Florida apply to the whole State. There is just less rich/boater population in NE FL so that means more chances at finding a marina.
This thread is making the subject way too complex. If you get a nice boat in the 35+ range, maintain it, aren’t boat scum, can afford the slip fees, then you will be able to find a slip that allows you to liveaboard pretty much easy as finding a slip in an region in general. If you instead get a old 30’ that is always dirty, collect a lot of trash on it, become a pita boat scum person, well no one will want you are you will be on the Florida derelict boat path.
Old 28-03-2021, 06:42   #49

Hmmm. I think it was Gord that share some municipal code/restrictions from Ft Lauderdale. (thanks for that Gord!) Someone said there are local restrictions in the keys. And some cities are restricting anchoring on the west coast down south, it sounds like. So it SOUNDS like the state may be restricting things, but different areas may be more or less strict. Do I have that wrong?

And oh, btw...for me, I don't mind having one pair of jeans, a sweatshirt, and a light jackect on my boat. (I don't think I will anyway.) But I spent the summer of '79 in Miami. OMG! The heat! The gates of hell seemed to be somewhere in the vacinity. Trade-offs! LOL

And, thank you to everyone for your inut. I appreciate it!
Old 28-03-2021, 09:30   #50
CLOD

No city in Florida has and can legally restrict anchoring. They could restrict what happens in a marina. Its a big place and forums are full of bah bah bah about it from people not even here posting google sound bites.

Btw - if all i wanted to do is l eon a boat i could definitely find better places than Florida.
Old 28-03-2021, 10:08   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Maybe a group of Canadians will suffer your company. If they are feeling like slumming a little.
Hey! No need to be nasty, SB.

If in majority French-speaking company, we always appreciate when someone tries to utilize what French they have.

(Then you can get into these weird scenarios where the English person is attempting French and the French person is speaking English because they declare that they need to practise their English!)

Always makes me laugh.
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 10:56   #52
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyMR View Post
But dang, if memory serves, there are palm trees swaying in Jacksonville...and Spanish moss in the trees. How cold could it really be there?

it gets windy and cold in NE Florida .. northeasters can be tough .. but generally there is never ice on the docks
Old 28-03-2021, 13:23   #53
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Hey! No need to be nasty, SB.

If in majority French-speaking company, we always appreciate when someone tries to utilize what French they have.

(Then you can get into these weird scenarios where the English person is attempting French and the French person is speaking English because they declare that they need to practise their English!)

Always makes me laugh.
LittleWing77
In my real life experience along the east coast and Bahamas it is rare for the French-Canadians to hang out with any others. Sure it does happen, but it is rare and even the other Canadian cruisers tell me this.

So i wasn't being nasty I was just pasting along the majority reality as experienced.
Old 29-03-2021, 04:05   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
In my real life experience along the east coast and Bahamas it is rare for the French-Canadians to hang out with any others. Sure it does happen, but it is rare and even the other Canadian cruisers tell me this.

So i wasn't being nasty I was just pasting along the majority reality as experienced.
Of course, you know best.

But then, I do speak French and am happy to hang out with my fellow French Canadian sailors.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 04:25   #55
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Of course, you know best.
Well that was nasty
Old 29-03-2021, 05:19   #56
cdy

In Florida - boats are easy to find - its the slips that are difficult - find the slip first - then the boat

Liveaboard possibilties:
Ortega River - Jacksonville
St Augustine - several marinas
Green Cove - Reynolds Marina
Daytona- several
Titusville- Municipal Marina _ waiting list
Merritt Island ( Harbortown)
Ft Pierce - a couple
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 18:32   #57

OK, so, ready for a laugh?

A new good friend on this thread asked me privately why I was on PAROLE...and why I needed to change my parole residency.

I was puzzled by the question. "Parole? I've never seen the inside of a jail cell", I said.

Turns out I did say that. See the quoted response below to SailorBoy.

That's what happens when an idiot misspells PAYROLL, and Grammarly doesn't see any problem with it whatsoever.

So...Please help me spread the word. To quote Tricky Dick Nixon, "I AM NOT A CROOK!" ...peace!

Quote:
Sailorboy, Thanks for your comment.

I am curious about the legalities. I have an established land job with a large company that will transfer my parole residency to Florida. And my intention is to reside in Florida as a resident.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29-03-2021, 18:42   #58

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:

A new good friend on this thread asked me privately why I was on PAROLE...and why I needed to change my parole residency.

I was puzzled by the question. "Parole? I've never seen the inside of a jail cell", I said.

That's what happens when an idiot misspells PAYROLL, and Grammarly doesn't see any problem with it whatsoever.

So...Please help me spread the word. To quote Tricky Dick Nixon, "I AM NOT A CROOK!" ...peace!
That’s a testament to this community. It wasn’t missed, but we all did our best to let it be. Drop that same line over on the other big sailing forum and see how that plays out!

The fact that you aren’t on parole is really going to help you if you ever need to interview at a marina like Twin Dolphin! (Oddly enough, I’ve seen plenty of things at these live aboard marinas that would warrant parole sentences, but that’s another discussion.)
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 08:59   #59
CLOD

Quote:

I saw that and just decided not to ask. But I was thinkng that it was time for me to change sides and tell people how sucky FL is so thet would just stay away
Old 30-03-2021, 12:01   #60

Thanks SB!

So the Bahamas are your version of paradise? I'm looking forward to cruising there...part of the reason I want to be on the East Coast of Florida. But with my job, I'll be kinda tethered to "sucky" Florida when I get my boat...based on my overarching priorities. Too bad I'm not as free and breezy as you are. Happy you're living your dream life though!

I know the Bahamas is a bit off topic. So start a new thread and tell me all about the Bahamas.

Tags
florida, living aboard