Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2021, 05:49   #121

Re: State of Living Aboard in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
I dont believe you have to pay the state sales tax when registering the boat in FL if you have proof that you paid another state the sales tax when you bought the boat.
You get a credit against whatever Florida sales tax you might have owed, for anything that you paid to another state.

Probably more important for most people, if you have owned and used your boat in another state for more than six months, then you owe Florida no sales/use tax -- none at all! -- when you bring your boat here. And that is completely regardless of any tax you may, or may not, have paid elsewhere.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:09   #122

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
That's funny.........

Since you seem to be on a motor vessel, will you still be flying your Biden/Harris flag when fuel is over $5.00 a gallon???

He probably will and say "but the roads are needing repaired." LOL
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:16   #123

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeFerg View Post
Halifax Harbor marina in Daytona Beach has many live-aboards AND has at-slip pumpouts, which is a terrific service and is free to dock holders.We've lived here off-and-on since 2002 and always happy to return from cruising. It's always been a friendly marina to us.
We also stayed for varying lengths of time in Jax Beach and liked it and Titusville, not quite as much.
+1 on this comment. I've been at HHM for 3 years and it's perfect for liveaboards....and since the new memorial Bridge is finally complete, its very quiet
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:28   #124

Boat: Gallart 13.50 MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon King View Post
He probably will and say "but the roads are needing repaired." LOL
Oh no, the roads are fixed, electric cars, and mass transit are the most affordable ways to get around. The horror!
Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:30   #125

GEEZ! Can't we leave the politics out of just ONE thread!?!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:30   #126

Boat: 42' Chung Wua Trawler

I have found that many marinas that claim no liveaboards actually do allow it. It is their official stance probably for insurance and political reasons, but they will just overlook it. There is nobody going around and keeping track of how many days you stay on your boat. As long as your boat is upkept and clean you often will not have a problem. Claiming no liveaboards allows marinas to kick you out of your boat is undesirable. My girlfriend lived aboard for two years at such a marina that did not allow liveaboards. I can think of at least three in my area that will just overlook it if your boat is clean.
cpisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 16:06   #127

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One of the other moderators has removed a number of political posts.
Political issues may be discussed ONLY when they are related to the topic of the thread.
Please try to keep your personal politics out of this discussion. Laws relating to liveaboards affect cruisers, regardless of their partisanship.

Thank you.

JPA Cate
Old 13-04-2021, 05:49   #128

Boat: Proactively waiting to find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommee View Post
Hey Scotty, glad to have you on board. I have lived on board my Hans Christian 43 for 30 years & as a single handed Lass, sometimes life is challenging. BUT, I wouldn't change the lifestyle for anything!! I bought her in Fort Lauderdale & even in those days Liveaboards seemed to be frowned upon. I have been in New Zealand for over 20 years & even here, a yachting mega centre, the marinas are increasingly shutting out "nasty vagrant liveaboards!!" However, If you can buy that yacht & make your life on the Ocean, do it while you can. The adventures to be had, the challenges which crop up & test our abilities & sanity, but when overcome (hopefully!) make everything well worth the effort. Personally. I believe that all those who criticise us & treat us like vagrants are in essence jealous of our freedom. We are doing something they would love to do, but can't.
Very good luck to you.
Thanks Tommee, for the encouragement...truly inspiring! And I suspect you're right about the criticism.
ScottyMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 05:57   #129
CLOD

Boat: none

I doubt someone in a nice house along the water is jealous of anyone living on a ratty anchored out boat. Maybe if if it was a 150’+ plus yacht with crew etc.i have lived on my boat 4.5 years now and have never felt I had life better that the mansion people.
Old 13-04-2021, 06:25   #130
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Find a marina with a boatyard attached and arrange to have them make a weekly check of your boat. You can have marina staff do this too, but boat mechanics from the yard have more skill, training and experience. I suggest Cedar Point and Lamb’s in the Ortega river at Jacksonville.

that's only if you can get under the fixed 45 foot bridge
Old 13-04-2021, 06:41   #131

Boat: Proactively waiting to find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpisz View Post
I have found that many marinas that claim no liveaboards actually do allow it. It is their official stance probably for insurance and political reasons, but they will just overlook it. There is nobody going around and keeping track of how many days you stay on your boat. As long as your boat is upkept and clean you often will not have a problem. Claiming no liveaboards allows marinas to kick you out of your boat is undesirable. My girlfriend lived aboard for two years at such a marina that did not allow liveaboards. I can think of at least three in my area that will just overlook it if your boat is clean.
Cpisz,
Thanks for you views. I've come to the same general conclusion.

I just spent last week visiting marinas along the NE Florida coast, talking to dockmasters, their assistants, dock boys, and cruisers. The reactions I received from marina staff was as diverse as the opinions on this thread. Some were extremely welcoming. Some were dismissive. Some were cool. On a few occasions, when I could engage the dockmaster in a friendly conversation, they warmed up to me. One of them initially was very cool to me, but 15 minutes later handed me his card and said, "You seem like a pretty cool guy. When you get your boat, give me a call."

So to your point Cpisz, Marina's have a difficult task. To minimize headaches, it's clear they need to be selective in what boats and tenants tie-up. When they would talk to me, and most would, I was interviewed. They wanted to know what kind of boat I was planning to buy, and what whether I might cause them problems. I would often acknowledge this concern that they all share. In return I would receive wry smiles. On a couple of occasions, I received state code and local ordinance cites about liveaboard restrictions right off the bat. By the end of the conversations, I would hear things like, "we can work around some of those issues, when it makes sense."

When I could walk the docks, I chatted up cruisers in their cockpits. Virtually all of them were very welcoming. I got a number of offers to board and tour their boats...and I was even offered a few beers. Very nice group of folks! And they were a wealth of knowledge and experience.

With all of this, I've come to the conclusion that once dockmasters get to know you as a good citizen, and your boat is kept up, they probably won't want you to leave. It just makes their lives easier.

So thanks again for your input. It's good to hear my conclusions confirmed when I'm on the doorstep of investing in a boat.

Scotty
ScottyMR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, living aboard