Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2019, 17:43   #1

Step one buy boat...step two??? Step three sailing

Hello everyone, my name is Paul and after a few years dreaming I happened into a situation where I now have a sailboat. This just happened and I am super excited about being able to be able to start cruising. Here’s my problem, I’ve done my asa101 class , but, I’m just smart enough to know that I don’t know anything. I’d love to hear from you guys about some steps I need to take and some things to think about. I’m going to take a marine diesel course at my local community college as well as marine electric. I plan to haul the boat out next week and get a survey done (it turns out wandering docks for two years introduces you to many helpful people), but as far as experience I have basically none. Thanks to everyone for any help.
Lotus Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 17:52   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Step one buy boat...step two??? Step three sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Eater View Post
Hello everyone, my name is Paul and after a few years dreaming I happened into a situation where I now have a sailboat. This just happened and I am super excited about being able to be able to start cruising. Here’s my problem, I’ve done my asa101 class , but, I’m just smart enough to know that I don’t know anything. I’d love to hear from you guys about some steps I need to take and some things to think about. I’m going to take a marine diesel course at my local community college as well as marine electric. I plan to haul the boat out next week and get a survey done (it turns out wandering docks for two years introduces you to many helpful people), but as far as experience I have basically none. Thanks to everyone for any help.
You gotta start somewhere.

It won’t be long before you are comfortable taking the boat for a sail.

I would focus on navigation and charts because until you know how to use the charts and understand their limitations, you will be handicapped. Electronic charts can be tricky to use and they breed overconfidence.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 19:49   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Paul, and congratulations! First question, are you now a liveaboard? What kind of boat did you get and what condition is it in? Good luck in your new adventure!
BTW, where are you located?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 02:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Paul.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 05:17   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Welcome to the community, Lotus Eater. Your location can be an important factor for gaining experience. Ideally, it would be best to have a location with protected sailing within a lagoon, bay or estuary while learning and gaining experience. Gain skill with anticipating local weather patterns.
Old 26-04-2019, 05:40   #6

Morning all, pleasure to meet you. I’ll be moving aboard a cal 2-29 in May. I’m moving down to me here in key west from marathon that time frame. I am lucky enough to have met a captain who has taken me out numerous times and has offered to brave this shakedown cruise with me. I plan to move it to Key west and then put it on the hard while I have a survey done.
Old 26-04-2019, 09:07   #7

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Paul

You are very astute and understand that sailing 101 is very basic, but that is
Good that you have done that ! Also, good on ya for the marine Diesel and Electrical courses.

You wanted some suggestions.

1. Practice all of the basic 101 course training, Get out there sailing, and know
all of your boats systems and rigging.

2. Sail your boat, and perhaps get some additional training

* Reefing at sea, anchoring, mooring pick up, departing and docking under sail from slips and side to docks. Engines and electrical systems can and will fail.

3. Practice man overboard drills in harbors , the quick stop method and heaving to,
and then expand that to M.O.B at sea . Learn how difficult it might be to get
a M.O.B back on board. Procedures for those situations.

4. Jib sail, reducing sail and changing the sheet block placement to get proper
shape on the jib. Reefing, reefing and more reefing.

5. Coastal Piloting and Navigation. Using paper charts , and back that up with
GPS, and all of those electronic wonders. know how to use nav tools, plotter or
parallel rules, dividers, hand bearing compass, of course an accurate time piece.

Also a good Marine Weather Class is important as well.

6. Knot tying, rolling hitches, bowlines, sheet bends, figure 8's and stopper knots. etc. etc.

And, how to tie a Proper Cleat Hitch, for dock lines, and a slippery cleat for
jib sheets ( especially when short tacking.

You seem to be preparing to go cruising, strongly suggest you get plenty of experience
Coastal sailing, familiar and un familiar harbors, and anchorages. Short and long
passages as well.

You are doing great with your training, and the above is just part of what you
might want to have mastered before shoving off to the Caribbean and beyond.

Please understand, that no matter all the classes and all of the experience that you
will never know it all. None of us will.

However, getting instruction from an experienced qualified sailor or instructor is a
great way to start out. You are doing the right thing.

Good on ya !
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 09:19   #8

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Congratulations!

I think that by going out with your friend the captain you're on the right track. Watching him sail and then having him watch you sail, that's the way I learned. Go out in all conditions - light air, gusty, the boat and the capt will teach you. Learn how to dock and "un"dock with the current and wind against you - you will look like a champ! The ASA course is a great start, but hands on is the best way to learn it in your bones.

Thing is if you love it - learning won't be a chore. Nobody told me I could have this much fun as a grownup!
Old 26-04-2019, 09:36   #9

Boat: Morris Justine 36'

My advice is to sign up for some races. Not to be competitive, but as a great way to learn. When you have to sail according to someone else's plan rather than wherever you want, you are forced to learn. And the other racers will be a fountain of pertinent advice because they will see what you are actually doing. Most races also have people looking to be crew and some of them can teach you stuff.

A J/27 was my first keel boat, purchased spontaneously when I found a deal. At first I was intimidated. Now I have made all the mistakes and lived through them. Then I moved up to a bigger boat and a whole new learning curve. You'll never know it all, but I have come a long way chasing down unfamiliar topics. Congrats on getting your boat.
Old 26-04-2019, 10:01   #10

Step Two??

Step 2: Keep the water out of the boat.

Then go sailing.
T37-NewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 12:48   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You make your acquisition of your boat sound quite mysterious! Who did you kill? LOL!

Every time you go down to your boat, make sure the dock lines are secure. Then start the engine, put it in gear, and give it a little rpm (so it has some load on it). Your lines will hold the boat in place. Not only will this keep your batteries charged, and engine lubricated, but it will give you confidence that the engine will start and run...every time. And if it doesn't, you are still safe at the dock. Listen to the engine. Get to know its sounds, and the feel beneath your feet.

Also, go over the entire boat. Take EVERYTHING OFF. Only put back what you really need on the boat, and only after you clean/sort/fix it all. An empty boat is also the best time to CLEAN all those corners and lockers. Cleaning the boat will help you know the boat.

Do some DOCK SAILING. While safely tied to the dock, preferable with a light wind forward of the beam, set all sail. This gives you practice and the feel. You should be able to do this easily and almost blindfolded. I assure you, its much easier at the dock than in a swell or waves. Even if you are just unrolling the jib...sheet it in. Get the feel of your boat.

Congrats on your new boat. I'm still searching. And don't forget to post some pictures for us couch potatoes, so we can live vicariously through your adventures.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 13:09   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

You'll be well suited for some great sailing in the Key West area. We always enjoyed a day sail out to Sand Key and an overnight up to Newfound Harbor. It a beautiful ride out to the Dry Tortugas with some easy anchorages at the lee of Marquesas Key or the little bight at Boca Grande. Plenty of easy little steps for those that take advantage of knowing at least three days of reliable weather between secure layovers.
Old 26-04-2019, 13:23   #13

The first thing I do when ever I get on a "new to me" boat is to find all of the "thru hulls" and exercise them. ( open and close )
georgeg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 15:01   #14

Thank you all for the info. As far as the thru hulls that’s something I’ll do tomorrow. I’ve never seen a boat race but that’s a good idea. I hate to ruin the mystery but I purchased it, there was very little blood involved. It’s awesome to find such a helpful community, and I’m sure you’ll hear much more from me as I get things sorted out and have more specific questions.
Old 26-04-2019, 15:44   #15

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Step 2?
As suggested, go through everything onboard in lockers, drawers, bilges, etc - organize and clean everything, paying attention to getting rid of mold. If there's any old food, spices, you are probably best off tossing it. Make sure you have an adequate set of tools so you can at least replace a water pump/alt drive belt, a DVM and some electrical tools (inc tape) to take care of an electrical problem. Get some spare drive belts.
Check your starting battery/house bank. Check your ground tackle, winch. Check your steering gear.
Make sure you have a minimum to navigate with - working compass, paper charts, a fathometer. Use an existing laptop or Ipad with GPS and some freeware or inexpensive nav software. I like Navx on my Ipad as one of my backup systems. Buy a usb GPS for your laptop. Eventually you will probably buy a dedicated nav system, but what you have now (or can buy inexpensively) will end up as system backups.
Make sure you have adequate fresh water on board, both in tanks and a case or two of bottles.
Buy a tow package (BoatUS) and at least liability insurance.
Dive on the boat and inspect the prop, rudder, hull.

Go sailing.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailing