Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 16:26   #1

Storage Space Defined.

Hello all and thanks in advance. i am one of those folks still reading books and forums trying to get my head around everything before take off. My head is swimming of all the different possible combinations of things to consider when choosing a boat. One of the key characteristics often reported by seasoned types is the need for storage space. I see examples of how Beth Leonard converted her latest boat for more storage and a workshop. I see all the criticisms of "boat show" boats pushing their interiors out to feel bigger and sacrificing storage space.

Then.... I start to think..... maybe i can out smart the system. Surely that Stupid pilot berth that no one is gonna use at anchor can be used for storage. While i'm on my big ocean passage, ill just move everything to the V-berth and sleep in the pilot berth. Still I feel like i am missing something. People who have done this and written about it say an ocean going passage-maker has storage. Does that mean that everything has to have its place because your world is so small that things like that start to really matter. Does it mean that the boat must be able to handle the weight. just get it in and tied down and off you go. Is it one of those things that you are always going to want more no matter how much you have.

maybe this is a way to frame the question....... if you and your partner want to cruise around the world you need space for:

X gallons/liters of diesel
Y gallons/liters of water
and..........

Z cubic feet to put your stuff.

please solve for Z. show your work.
davehallboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 19:50   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Storage Space defined.

We move everything to the V-berth when on passage and use the pilot berth. It changes the weight balance of the boat but in our case, in a good way.

There are lots of reference materials for the X/Y questions you have, including Beth's great book. However, as far as diesel goes, think more about range and gallons per hour because, depending on a few factors, two boats of the same type might have very different ranges even though they have the same gallon storage. For example, Prop size and type can make a big difference.

The water is really a question of how much you need per person per day plus a reserve. We carry 150 gallons but I know many circumnavigators that carry half as much, don't have water makers, and say they get along fine. We are planning on 1 gallon per person per day. For example (and not to be taken seriously), if you take the longest trip on the milk run, which is about 2900 nautical miles on the rhumb line, about 30 days at four knots, then add 50% for reserve, for two people you would need about 90 gallons of water (without water maker).

z cubic feet: take only as much personal stuff (clothes and all) from land as you can in a large duffle per person - you won't need anything else, and the rest of the space on your boat is for food and spare parts.

On our 38 foot boat, we have enough food stored to last two of us 4 months, beer for 3 months, liquor for the year, and we don't have that much food storage at all! When we got rid of all the crap we brought with us from land life (honestly thinking we would need is a black and decker air pump), we now have more room for spares than we need.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 20:45   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

This is where chartering and short trips in your own boat can really help.

Range is a function of space.

I have only provisioned for up to 5 days and I am crap at it - but learning...

There is also the consideration of "liveablility" and "surviveability" - I might "overstock" the boat to make a passage at the limits of range and all usable space is consumed by stores.

I wouldn't necessarily want to live that way.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 22:15   #4

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Storage space: where people needn't occupy.
Old 06-07-2014, 23:37   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we sail a jeanneau ds40 and she has lots of space - BUT - you got to know where the stuff is -- we have stuff under the fwd berth, wet locker shelves, under the settee, ect --
we have a 2 cabin version and the rear berth is the garage - but on ocean passages the garage is moved to the forward berth -

we did add a 2nd 50 gal fuel tank and a water maker - but we still carry a few jerry cans in cockpit lockers

one of the problems is where is the stuff -- when you want an xyz part where is it
we made up a spreadsheet on where everything is and that includes food - that way we can find stuff quicky without tearing the entire boat around - we try to keep it updated but sometimes miss or forget or whatever - so about once a year we take a few days off and go from area to area and pull everything out go thru each box and inventory what we have and then print out new spreadsheets and put them in a binder

if you want our inventory list and food list pm me and i will send them to you
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 00:47   #6

wow, very helpful comments. thanks all.

@chuckr. system would not let me pm you due to my newness. I absolutely would love to see a list of what you carry. i think that would be huge insight. please send.

davehallboat@gmail.com
davehallboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dave.

Just remember: "Stuff expands to fill the space allotted."*

* A corollary to Parkinson's Law.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:26   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Storage Space Defined.

Good storage requires compromise. My wife keeps an accordian in the galley!
Old 10-07-2014, 13:48   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

z cubic feet: take only as much personal stuff (clothes and all) from land as you can in a large duffle per person - you won't need anything else, and the rest of the space on your boat is for food and spare parts.

On our 38 foot boat, we have enough food stored to last two of us 4 months, beer for 3 months, liquor for the year, and we don't have that much food storage at all! When we got rid of all the crap we brought with us from land life (honestly thinking we would need is a black and decker air pump), we now have more room for spares than we need.
Man... zboss has solved for Z space perfectly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post

one of the problems is where is the stuff -- when you want an xyz part where is it
we made up a spreadsheet on where everything is and that includes food - that way we can find stuff quicky without tearing the entire boat around - we try to keep it updated but sometimes miss or forget or whatever - so about once a year we take a few days off and go from area to area and pull everything out go thru each box and inventory what we have and then print out new spreadsheets and put them in a binder
Chuck has got it goin' on here.... We have a binder/lists too.... Stuff still gets lost/squirreled in unknown corners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Good storage requires compromise. My wife keeps an accordian in the galley!
Capn'F ... I see the compromise.... galley-accordion...
surely it's stored in the collapsed position no???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 13:56   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
.......... surely it's stored in the collapsed position no?
Certainly -collasped & in it's case!
Old 10-07-2014, 14:16   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Certainly -collasped & in it's case!
See... Prime example of compromise people! That's what makes it work!

You understand though... That if I ever step foot on Aythya ...

That bad boy is comin' out!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage