Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 15:50   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Hi If your bike is carbon then I guess the seat post and stuff will be aluminium so no corrosion worries there, I would suggest quick release wheels again aluminium and a can of maintanence spray, if you can get some heavy duty plastic sacks (The sort farmers get fertiliser in) and put some bags of silica gel in the bottom, and as long as you use the bikes on a regular basis and check, clean and lube regularly you wont have any problems.
Old 04-12-2008, 16:07   #47

YES... what Chuck said! Soft case for sure. Sounds like you need to decide if you're a sailor or a biker! I used a folding bike for years... until the rust was just too much to deal with. It was indespensible for running errands up to 10 miles or so. But it was simply a "tool" not a work of art.... or maybe you have one of those titanium tool sets too?
Actually .... I'm just jerking your chain.... bikes are cool and a fun time in a new place. But you will be destroying your nice bike... salt and sand.... of course the new owner in Timbuktu will love having a carbon fiber bike! after he steals yours!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:33   #48
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Hey grun,

Two things.

There is a product called Salt Terminator that I have used on used fishing tackle that seems to work. It is a blue liquid that one can put into a pump sprayer.

Salt Terminator Just one place I found. Google has umpteen hits.

And.

Maybe you have seen this but they are cruising on a Gemini. They are to be at the boat show at St. Pete this week. Maybe I will try to "run into them". I assume they will be checking in on the Gemini on display. I will ask Brian.

"Today, Friday, I am going to get the bikes out so we can explore the small town."

From Cruising Log Jim and Deb Faughn
Home Cruising with Jim and Deb Faughn
Looks like that stuff may be good for dive gear too...especially since it will be tough to rinse it after every dive.

I'll have to shoot them an email and see where they keep them on their Gem.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:39   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
YES... what Chuck said! Soft case for sure. Sounds like you need to decide if you're a sailor or a biker! I used a folding bike for years... until the rust was just too much to deal with. It was indespensible for running errands up to 10 miles or so. But it was simply a "tool" not a work of art.... or maybe you have one of those titanium tool sets too?
Actually .... I'm just jerking your chain.... bikes are cool and a fun time in a new place. But you will be destroying your nice bike... salt and sand.... of course the new owner in Timbuktu will love having a carbon fiber bike! after he steals yours!
What is it with everyone and the comments about steeling bikes?

I understand theft can be a problem in some locations, but as long as it's chained up or I don't let it out of my site, I really don't see it going anywhere. And I'm not going to leave it out in the open on deck, so unless someone breaks into my boat they're not taking it, and in that instance I'll have bigger problems to worry about.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:26   #50

Grunzster:

I pop the wheels off and stow my bike in the cockpit locker. I don't use a bag, but I wish I had one sometimes. I ride centuries, but I carry a rather inexpensive roadbike with carbon forks and seatpost, but cheap components. It's the smallest frame I can comfortably ride, and I've had to piece together bits to stretch the cockpit a bit, but that makes it lighter and easier to fit on the boat.

The bike is mostly used for running to the store, sometimes on gravel roads. It fits in the dinghy, and at the dock it blocks the side deck. So far no serious corrosion, 3 years in, but the chain has a red tinge and I'm beginning to hear it.

I could carry an anorexic race frame, but what's the point? I'm not racing, I'm not even trying to stay in race trim. And nice components die fast splashing in salt water.

Actually, I did switch pedals. I had cheapo shimano (don't remember which model), and switched to a generic eggbeater when one side of one of the pedals started sticking, probably due to rust.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 15:29   #51

Grunzster,

I have a cheap Schwinn mountain bike and take it to the island to trek the roads and paths. The bike rides nicely on the deck strapped either to the mast pulpit ot just under my pinrails to the lifelines. If there is a concern the handlebars will foul the jib sheet, I remove them. The bike will probably not do weel housed inside a "water tight" container as it won't let the bike dry out and moisture will always find it's way inside the container (either from the bike being put away with some moisture still on it or through the natural breathing action of the container). I think it's best to let it remain topside where it can "breath". A well oiled bike should be able to last quite some time with this treatment.
S/V Sonrisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 17:52   #52
Marine Service Provider

Well I guess I'll put some of these ideas to the test soon enough. Probably going to drive down to the boat end of next month. If I do, I'm going to bring at least one of my bikes with me. And I'm going to try to stay on the hook as much as possible for the move home.
Old 16-01-2009, 16:57   #53

Boat: Gemini Cat Hull #100
Bikes

During my journey I made the mistake of bringing my big buck bike... After a few thefts and multiple rust issues I went to a Walmart in Cancun and bought a bike for the equivalant of $40 Every year the bike would rust out or a wheel would warp and I would buy another good cheap bike. Most people who are getting ready to cruise do not understand that the world is a place of products no matter where you go you can find what you need or get it brought to you providing you know how to relax and wait..
If you think you will have enough time and space to keep everything metal in a bag, oiled up and shined up you are kidding you are going to be much more busy keeping your boat operating, seeing the sights, ducking out of the way of storms, dealing with corrupt officials.. Just my two cents.
Ativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 17:42   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Grunzster, We haven't had a car since 2002 and use our bikes regularly. We have inexpensive K-Mart Schwinns (Chinese built now) that we store in the aft cabin while underway. The front wheels, seats & baskets are quickly released. I clean and oil them when I put them away,- a little white lithium greade on the chain, oil the cables,etc. We used to have the folding Dahons, but they don't perform as well as the biles with the 26" wheels and they are important to us for groceries, laundry, entertainment, exercise... My cheap K-mart bikes have held up well for five years and I won't mind buying similar ones when they expire. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote