Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 17:02   #31

Boat: None yet
Re: Stuart Island WA San Juan Island area

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
We work remotely from our boat and were able to do so from Reid by running our hotspot up the mast on a halyard (ATT, Verizon is better for that area).

Today's cell plans are sized to accommodate streaming and we have 100GB for $100. per month, which is more than we need to work all day on the internet. I recommend getting a good cell booster until reachable satellite plans are available, which shouldn't be that long.

We use T-mobile Binge On for streaming video for entertainment, which did not work at Reid Harbor, but we could have made it work if important to get work done.

Our electronics whiz recommended the Cradlepoint 900 for us, which is also used by trucking and shipping fleets, and this model has two SIM card slots so we have ATT in one and T-Mobile in the other. The build is amazing, this is a very high quality device that will stand up in mobile and marine environments very well.

Our guy insisted that we did not need a mast mount antenna, but having used it in remote areas I think that would be best.

At Reid, my sense is that a good cell booster with a high antenna will be just fine, especially with Verizon.

Fun fact: my electronics whiz tells me that Verizon is the only provider that aims their antennas horizontally for distance, which is whey they work well over the water. The other providers aim their antennas down to provide stronger signals on land, leaning on multiple networked antennas for coverage, which isn't as preferable for a signal on the water.
That was huge help, 100GB is kind of what I was thinking about. I work for 8 hrs on the internet then turn it off, if a driver needs me at 4am in the morning, They call and then all I have to do is wake the computer up. I figured I might have to by some equipment but I had not even thought about running the hot spot up the mast. Thank you.
gent48dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 18:39   #32

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Yes, running your hotspot or booster up a halyard while at anchor really helps. Much better than running an antenna (avoids the cable loss).

You’ll need a good waterproof case and add a good one way vent (goretex or other) for keeping it dry.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:49   #33

Boat: Symbol 55 Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Check out Steve's site. He's from the area and pretty passionate about the tech: https://seabits.com/recommended-systems-plans/
Thanks for the call out!

I spend most of my time cruising the San Juans and Puget Sound, and even more this last year with the working remotely craze.

Stuart Island is one of the toughest places in the San Juans to get internet while afloat. Reid Harbor, on the south side of the island, is one of the top 3 worst spots in all of the islands, especially the further in you go. Prevost on the north side is much better, but still requires good equipment.

The best solution for the islands is a good outdoor antenna (or more than one depending on your router) from the likes of Poynting, Peplink, or Wilson. This combined with high quality LMR-400 cable to whatever the router is will get you service in most areas. Another alternative are products like the Peplink dome which move the radios for the cellular connection outside (but are pricey) or the last resort would be a booster, which will help in many places, but cause challenges in most others.

T-Mobile is the best carrier in the islands mainly because they are also providing local short-distanced LTE service to homes and the tower infrastructure is much better. If you look at a coverage map (I do a presentation for yacht clubs that is pretty dramatic) of the three main carriers, you'll see Verizon and AT&T have one or two towers in the islands, whereas T-Mobile has many.

One thing to consider is having multiple providers. I always recommend this to people who require connectivity most or all of the time. That way you can switch to whomever is better in the particular anchorage you're in.

Reid Harbor is one that I try to avoid, even with all of my crazy antennas and domes and other things. It works, but it is about as slow as you get, and sometimes even I am disconnected!

I have Iridium and several other satellite solutions as well. They're all an option, but most of the basic services that are under $200 a month aren't going to give you unrestricted access to the internet. They're only for specific purposes like downloading weather or sending emails through their service. To get a more traditional access experience, you'll have to invest in an expensive dome/dish and pay a lot more per month for a pretty slow system, plus have a decent amount of power to run it.

I've spent weeks on end in various spots up in the islands, and as long as you invest in a good antenna and router you should have pretty good connectivity in most places. I've learned those to avoid, and only head there on weekends or when I don't have much to do on a particular day!
notz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:03   #34

Boat: Fjiord Pilot House Sloop 33ft

We are out of Friday Harbor and use T-Mobile for our cell phones with great service throughout the San Juan’s and into Canada. With T-Mobile’s unlimited data plan we have access to the internet using our phones as hot spots. They have a local office in Friday Harbor.
sailor sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:08   #35

We spent multiple days in Reid last summer. We tied up to the floating dock as the shore side dock was full. Our cell reception to Verizon was decent. As others mention you do have to be careful if you end up connecting to a cell tower in Sidney BC. We were charged $140 roaming charge which I was able to get reversed by convincing Verizon that we never left the country because the border was closed and we had phone logs and AIS data to prove we were only in the U.S. They suggested turning off roaming to avoid the Canadian connection. Verizon charges $5 per day if you want the Canadian plan. Your total data doesn't change. A cell phone booster would probably make a hot spot a viable option for you. Roche Harbor does have a small but surprisingly good grocery store covering the basics. Everything about Roche is expensive. For our 35 foot boat last summer, one day of moorage cost $90.
Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 06:45   #36

Boat: Tartan 42

I sailed the San Juans and Gulf Islands each summer for the past 8 years. Cell coverage in the outer islands is very poor. From Stuart Island you will not be able to provide 24/7 support to your clients if it requires internet. I run a small business myself, and when I am sailing in the San Juans I have to got to Roche, Rosario, or Friday Harbor to poach the marina/resort wifi in order to run payroll every two weeks. This is the situation as it stands now. I have no idea what the future holds, but most of the islands are sparsely populated, so the cell companies have little incentive to bring high-speed connectivity out there.

Sorry to wet towel your idea, but you should reconsider.
wjessendear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 19:56   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gent48dd View Post
I don't even own a boat yet, I am 2 years out from that. But I am looking to talk with folks that have experience in and around Stuart Island, Roche Harbor. I am thinking about semi-retirement, living at anchor Reid Harbor. The very first thing I need to know is what is the internet like.

I said semi-retirement, I am going to need 24/7 internet to continue to work, and I mean 24/7 people contact me at via internet, whenever they need me. That is the most important thing. Doesn't have to be super fast internet, I am not streaming video. If I have to spend 10k up front for super dooper equipment to achieve what I want, I need to know that up front because it affects what I can spend on the boat and I have to look for a boat that can support that kind of power usage or at least look at up grading so that my boat can do it.

I have tons of questions about this area 1) because I can visit a friend in Duncan BC just 25 miles away and 2) I can spend time with my granddaughter 60 miles away in Tacoma.

I know for a fact I can get solid internet from Iridium because I used Iridium when I was in Iraq in the middle of know where, but it is extremely expensive and if I had to use the same system for what I am doing now, it wouldn't work. Cost would over ride profit. Iridium does have Iridium GO for sailors, I have never used it and will be writing Iridium. But generally people who are in the area should know just how good is the internet in the area and I am not talking about living at the marina at Roche, but anchored at Reid Harbor which is only 5 miles away.

I can't even consider Reid harbor unless I know what the internet is like right now. Then there maybe others out there that know a place you can live at anchor in the general area that already has good internet.

I am a custom load broker for independent truck drivers, in other words I am guy who has done what they are doing, and I know each person, what they like, what they don't like, that means they have to be able to reach me 24/7 and I have to be able to look at loads and negotiate any time day or night. That is why it is called custom you won't have to sit around waiting I will find something for you now. And that is why I need 24/7 internet.

I don't mind spending 10K for equipment, I can write that off as long as I have good connection. I know I can go through Iridium and get exactly what I want but it is more than 40K and and you are charged by the min, that does not work for me. It worked in Iraq because you the tax payer paid for it, ( I don't like when people say the government paid for it, it was your tax dollars)

Anyway anyone who can help here ???

Take a look at INMARSTAT, they have good capability all in 3k for the system, 200 a month for near costal unlimited, SAT based, faster than IRIDIUM. If you are only in the sound you may want to look at GLOMAX, looks promising to me. It has the ability to have 2 operational SIM cards, one of the challenges is Lopez Island does not have good Verizon service as the rest of the Islands do.
jimellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 15:50   #38

Thank you, I started this thread, and there are so many people helping, and I have to look into each suggestion, thank you for your help and I will be looking it up.
Old 08-04-2021, 18:30   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by notz View Post
Thanks for the call out!

I spend most of my time cruising the San Juans and Puget Sound, and even more this last year with the working remotely craze.

Stuart Island is one of the toughest places in the San Juans to get internet while afloat. Reid Harbor, on the south side of the island, is one of the top 3 worst spots in all of the islands, especially the further in you go. Prevost on the north side is much better, but still requires good equipment.

The best solution for the islands is a good outdoor antenna (or more than one depending on your router) from the likes of Poynting, Peplink, or Wilson. This combined with high quality LMR-400 cable to whatever the router is will get you service in most areas. Another alternative are products like the Peplink dome which move the radios for the cellular connection outside (but are pricey) or the last resort would be a booster, which will help in many places, but cause challenges in most others.

T-Mobile is the best carrier in the islands mainly because they are also providing local short-distanced LTE service to homes and the tower infrastructure is much better. If you look at a coverage map (I do a presentation for yacht clubs that is pretty dramatic) of the three main carriers, you'll see Verizon and AT&T have one or two towers in the islands, whereas T-Mobile has many.

One thing to consider is having multiple providers. I always recommend this to people who require connectivity most or all of the time. That way you can switch to whomever is better in the particular anchorage you're in.

Reid Harbor is one that I try to avoid, even with all of my crazy antennas and domes and other things. It works, but it is about as slow as you get, and sometimes even I am disconnected!

I have Iridium and several other satellite solutions as well. They're all an option, but most of the basic services that are under $200 a month aren't going to give you unrestricted access to the internet. They're only for specific purposes like downloading weather or sending emails through their service. To get a more traditional access experience, you'll have to invest in an expensive dome/dish and pay a lot more per month for a pretty slow system, plus have a decent amount of power to run it.

I've spent weeks on end in various spots up in the islands, and as long as you invest in a good antenna and router you should have pretty good connectivity in most places. I've learned those to avoid, and only head there on weekends or when I don't have much to do on a particular day!
Thank you, best way to figure out what I have to do is talking with folks that have already been there done that. Truck drivers have to be able to contact me 24/7. Now one solution is Iridium Sat pager where they can send a msg, "need load", "broke down can't make delivery". I have to follow the loads 24/7, the one thing that I will offer is 24/7 access me. Big Load brokers like JB Hunt, Schneider Transport, other all offer this. The big difference between and the big guys is personal support. Big guys don't know, don't care who you are, we have a load it's going here do you want it or not. Very impersonal. It's what you get if you are a company driver. Company driver needs a load, his dispatch does not have one , his dispatch call big load broker takes what ever, tells driver here is your load ... driver forced to take it, it's what they pay him or her to do. I am different ... I know who you are, I know what kind of equipment you drive, I know what you like , what you don't like, and I take less money, to give you the load as a matter of fact I will give drivers loads when I don't make any money just because there is not much margin, I know the driver needs to make x amount of dollars. What do I get back for that understand I am working for them, what I get back are loyal drivers ... that means i need to be there 24/7. I am trying to create my own market, very small niche of drivers, I am talking 10 drivers who count on me. That means technologically I have to be connected to make the service work.

I could easily do this from where I live now Albuquerque NM from the house easy peezy. I want to go to the NW for a whole of reasons, one is my granddaughter who is in Tacoma and a dear friend that lives in Duncan BC. I could make it work from an RV, that's not what I want. I want to wake up at anchor in beautiful surroundings make my coffee and go to work.

Doing that at Roche Harbor can be difficult much less Reid Harbor, if it means i have to get onto Stuart Island and erect my own pole strapped to a tree, or find a spot to establish my own sat dish or a combination of the both

I did this in Iraq established my own internet Network which I provided access for other people for a nominal fee of 10 bucks a month, that did not even cover 10% of the cost, it was just me providing a service that people needed.

I really appreciate your knowledge, it help me think about the $$$ I will need to put out to make it happen. I still have two years to figure out how to make it happen. Thank you very much for your comments.
Old 08-04-2021, 18:41   #40

Thanks, it takes time to work through all this, people who have knowledge about certain things I have not thought about is always welcome. People might laugh at this ... I don't even have a boat yet, I am still working at going back to work as a truck driver for I company I love in ND, almost there. I should leave NM in 3 more weeks, be back driving in 4 weeks. In one years time I can be debt free. Which allows me to bank full paychecks for two more years (I will be living off of SS retirement, so banking what I make as a driver) Take that money and buy my boat. I am reading a lot and watching a lot about people who live at anchor. I am learning, taking in what others had to give that will help me make the best decisions.

Tags
san juan