Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2020, 10:23   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
living aboard is fundamentally camping on the water regardless of size. It can be fun for a while but it’s still camping
I've been living aboard for thirty years. I'm not camping. Those who say I am are voicing an opinion based on ignorance.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:31   #17

Quote:
living aboard is fundamentally camping on the water regardless of size. It can be fun for a while but it’s still camping
That is such a ignorant statement to make, it can only be trolling...

Everything you ever posted just became worthless to me.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:37   #18

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I lived on the boat for a summer. Best year of my life in many ways. Stopped to check the house now and then. Grilled every evening, watched the sun set, watched the sun rise, took a swim before work. Somehow I didn’t feel underprivileged.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:44   #19

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

A former (and quite well-to-do) girlfriend once made the following comment when I mentioned I like camping: "To me, roughing it is when room service is late."

Needless to say, the relationship didn't last.

The longest I've lived aboard so far is 3 months. On the last day, we cruised past our home marina and went to anchor out for a couple more days. Looking forward to moving aboard full-time soon, if all goes well.

Camping? Call it what you want. I feel very fortunate to be able to do this. Very few can, and many more dream of it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:48   #20

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
As humans, we make up artificial constructs and then self determine the importance of those constructs/ labels. In this example, the sub 35 foot boat is has been labeled no good compared to the two story motor yacht, which is less good than the 150 foot yacht with crew.

What if the discussion became those folks on that 35 foot boat are having a great time and living the life they want? Or, the people who own the 150 foot boat must be very successful, we are happy for them.

We must strive to understand our true nature, then contentment will follow (santosha).

Namaste
You missed the point entirely. No one asked if one size of boat was better than another and no one answered that unasked question. The OP proposed that boats were substandard housing, not that one boat was “better” than another and people replied to that proposal. IMHO, the “best” size boat is the one you can afford since it gets you onto the water now and not later.

Perhaps we must strive to understand the true nature of this thread, then contentment will follow?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:57   #21

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I've been living aboard for thirty years. I'm not camping. Those who say I am are voicing an opinion based on ignorance.
You are entitled to your opinion; apparently I am not. Adorable!
As to your experience, I once worked with a guy who declared his Ford Pinto was "the best car he ever had". Subsequently it was clear that was the ONLY car he ever had
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:57   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

During our decades living aboard in Florida we were well recognized as being home owners aboard our vessel. When we sent our children to the public schools the student placement office entered an address for our children as #1 St. Johns River and this was on their report cards until their High School graduation. They recognized our home as being mobile and our interest in not having our children change schools when we changed marina slips. We were also counted among households during the US Census. I don't recall any time when we were thought of as homeless or any time when we considered our boats of 30', 33', or 41' as being substandard. In contrast to many families within larger homes, I believe we enjoyed an advantage of close communication, cooperation and reliance that was not expected when we first moved aboard 48 years ago.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:08   #23

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Rubbish.

We have more liveable space on our twin decked 60fter than we did in a dirt house costing 5X more
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:11   #24

Boat: Freedom 38

I'm a liveaboard. The boat is my home. Ummm. What was the question again?
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:13   #25

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
That’s why ocean front property exists.
Don't get any more ocean front than this
And no noisy neighbours, passing traffic, yards to maintain or rates/taxes to pay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_15489315468611692.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	208381  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:14   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion; apparently I am not. Adorable!
As to your experience, I once worked with a guy who declared his Ford Pinto was "the best car he ever had". Subsequently it was clear that was the ONLY car he ever had
I gave up an 8,000sq.ft stone house on 10 acres to move on to my boat.
I know what camping is and I don't like it.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:20   #27

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

I suppose it depends on who is setting the standards.
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:35   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I don't think I agree on those general terms.

If your boat has a hot shower, a watermaker, heating, a fridge, 110v or 220v electrics, jeeezz sometimes even air conditioning, I simply fail to see the camping element. Same standarts as a wealthy home on solid ground.

There are small boats where I'd agree it's more like camping, but in many cases it's not camping at all. It's just a different way of living.
An RV generally has most or all of those features, and I think most people would consider living in one of those as "camping". Camping in style, perhaps, but still camping.

It's sort of odd, but when you say someone is living in a trailer or a doublewide, there is some judgment involved. A bit less so for someone living in an RV, as that lifestyle is often chosen out of adventure and for a limited amount of time, but the judgment could still be there vs someone living in a house.

I could see the same type of judgment from someone who is assessing someone living on a boat from a distance.

On a forum such as this, however, there might be some judgment towards a person living on a small boat vs a larger liveaboard. The smaller the boat, the more like camping it is. But even the largest of boats have some element of the camping lifestyle - limited storage capacity for water and electricity, for example.

In spite of all of this, I don't suppose one would say that someone living on a large motoryacht with a helicopter on board is camping.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:54   #29

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
As humans, we make up artificial constructs and then self determine the importance of those constructs/ labels. In this example, the sub 35 foot boat is has been labeled no good compared to the two story motor yacht, which is less good than the 150 foot yacht with crew.

What if the discussion became those folks on that 35 foot boat are having a great time and living the life they want? Or, the people who own the 150 foot boat must be very successful, we are happy for them.

We must strive to understand our true nature, then contentment will follow (santosha).

Namaste

Good opportunity to read ‘Sapiens’, but be aware that it may introduce uncomfortable information that will not easily go away. Nevertheless, is a good reading
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1581278056.077968.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	208382
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:00   #30

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
An RV generally has most or all of those features, and I think most people would consider living in one of those as "camping". Camping in style, perhaps, but still camping.

It's sort of odd, but when you say someone is living in a trailer or a doublewide, there is some judgment involved. A bit less so for someone living in an RV, as that lifestyle is often chosen out of adventure and for a limited amount of time, but the judgment could still be there vs someone living in a house.

I could see the same type of judgment from someone who is assessing someone living on a boat from a distance.

On a forum such as this, however, there might be some judgment towards a person living on a small boat vs a larger liveaboard. The smaller the boat, the more like camping it is. But even the largest of boats have some element of the camping lifestyle - limited storage capacity for water and electricity, for example.

In spite of all of this, I don't suppose one would say that someone living on a large motoryacht with a helicopter on board is camping.

I agree that is individual dependent, but also time or Era dependent. 500 years ago most people lived in a one room feeling, even the children of the well to do slept in communal rooms.
Is funny that a week ago we were arguing on sailboats with yulohs. now is what makes a bot a home or not.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote