Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2010, 17:35   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Summer Bedding

On a recent trip to Maine I was ill prepared for the unusually high night time temperatures and humidity. What are my options for cool blankets? I seem to need something over me to sleep.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 17:45   #2

A cotton sheet. Or two.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 18:08   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
what was said above--and at wally world there are some nice soft blankets that dont overheat ye---those work with the sheet well on a cooler night...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 18:37   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
sleep naked - works

been in the 90s+ ever since we got to cheaspeake and we use a satin sheet when it cools off to high 70s in early am - but clothes capture heat

chuck patty and svsoulmates
on the hook st marys city md
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 19:07   #5

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
We have air-conditioning but we try not to use it. Despite the generator being supposedly 'silenced' I worry about it disturbing people in the anchorage. Here in Europe, there is seldom enough power available even when we are in a marina so the generator would still need to be run. We use summer weight duvets and if it get too warm for that, we just use the cover. If it gets too warm for that, then it's naked without a cover, but I too have a problem getting to sleep with nothing to tuck around me. The next time I might try a satin sheet as mentioned above. The problem with satin, it slips around too much. In the past I've found that to be irritating. At sea, we make our own breeze

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:38   #6
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Travel catalogs sell silk sleeping "bags" for finicky people who don't trust hotel sheets. Just just wave it over the bunk and climb in. You can also make your own using cotton, linen or muslin. If you have a tuck-in problem, a sleeping bag won't come apart during the night. Just don't make it too tight. Janet Groene, Janet Groene's BoatCook
JanetGroene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:16   #7

i find that while i am sailing a passage and i am too hot--i kick off the covers --i cannot use a sleeping bag, as is the case with certain individuals--i use regular bedding -same as in houses. isnt any magic to boats--many folks think ye need special overpriced stuff on a boat--isnt the case--i reside aboard--there is no way i am going to place my toesies into a sleeping bag of any kind. i dont camp out, rather, i sail in comfort, without the 40 percent markup and froo froo stuffies that clutter and end up in goodwill......i know some folks do sleep in bags--is camping out--they do not live on their boats--only use them for camping out in other places on the water...catalina, keys,-- wherever---but is still camping out. when one lives on boat, makes a difference as to what is used ---comfort vs transiency. use own choices and enjoy the boat--doesnt need the expensive trendy stuff--unless you like spending lots of money on froo-froo thingies and bling.....
as far as not trusting hotel sheets--couldbe a charter quirk--isnt the case in personally owned boats...unless you have weird friends...

is all a matter of choices and personal comfort--easy care stuff does much better than items needing dry cleaning, as boats get wet inside. even big ones do---btdt.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:20   #8

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
Hemp sheets

Now, this may sound weird, but it's very true.

Back in 1983 I was hit by a car and ended up in hospital for a couple of months, all this while laying on my back as I could not move. Now, this hospital being in a country where there was no air conditioning and it being summer, being hot is an understatement.

All attempts to keep me cool and dry failed, until grandma came from her tiny village and brought me two sheets made of hemp (hemp apparently is processed and then weaved just like cotton or wool). You have to lay on one and cover yourself with the other, but you will feel comfortable during the hot and sticky nights.

If only I knew where to get them nowadays...
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:25   #9
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonica View Post

If only I knew where to get them nowadays...
I love my hemp sheets...

Let me google that for you

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:26   #10

Boat: Brewer 44
Hi there - I just bought our boat the Travasak sleep system - they have two "settings" withing them - they have a summer sheet, and then a liner for the winter months...plus they lay right over the bunks (but have "hook and loop" strips so that they stay in place) which eliminates the need to "make the bed" (which is a real pain in the 'a' on a boat) and the best part, you can just roll it up like a sleeping bag when your finished.

We got two sets of 'twins' for the aft cabin of our boat, and one 'v-berth' set (shaped like a 'v', specifically made for a boat).

They are a little pricey and you might need to poke around the internet to find them, but they're supposedly are heaven on a boat. Antimicrobial, water resistent, cozy, easy to clean...and all that good stuff.

Sweet dreams!

Brittany
Old 10-08-2010, 11:42   #11

travasak=sleeping bag with large markup and weird shaping--no difference. is camping out. saw them at boat shows many years ago..nuice concept for those who enjoy caming out. cute too. but pricey.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:02   #12

Boat: SJ23 1988
If you "require" something over you to sleep. A very light down comforter, I find doesn't hurt. You can find them at BBB and such. I would suggest a duvet cover though, so if you sweat you can take it off and wash it.

Personaly... i have a duvet with 2 medium down comforters stuffed in it for winter and then take one out for summer sleeping. When it get's realy hot... everything gets kicked off and el-natural is the only way to go.
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:33   #13

feathers are wonderful year round!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 13:20   #14

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Mosquito netting would give you the feel of a sheet over you but wouldn't actually hold any heat ...
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote