Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2022, 08:50   #46

Re: Survey for Liveaboard Slip--Really!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
A somewhat callous remark Kd9truck in my view, but perhaps not intended as such?

But as someone living outside the US, the scenes I see of Skid Row and Venice bench remind of a visit to Mumbai. But India is awash in poverty, a far far more difficult lack of resource problem than in the USofA. What I just can't get my head around is how, the richest, most powerful nation that has ever existed can have such a callous attitude to it's under privileged and not use some of that wealth and might to fix the problem.

What must it be like to live, presumably, very comfortably in a 1, or 2 or 3 million dollar home on Venice Boulevard with people living right in front of you (the more affluent people in tents), prostituting, shooting up and sh#$%ing in the street? How does this not motivate people to do something?
I live in Venice California. If you lived here you would understand why. They are not out there because they have no other option or are suffering from poverty, 98% of them are out there because they want to be there, and/or are addicts that have burned every bridge and double crossed everyone that has offered to help. They have an F*#K Y*U attitude. When you see enough elderly or disabled people have to risk walking in a busy street just to get around these imbiciles, you begin to understand. They are not broken people, they just dont care. There is a very tiny minority that are truly broken and need help. I do feel for them. They are easy to spot.

Dont get me wrong...they are not all bad people. I have met some of them and genuinly like them, but at some point, a man needs to help himself and conquer his own demons, no one else can do that for you...

Sorry for going astray and off topic...
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 13:27   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
I live in Venice California. If you lived here you would understand why. They are not out there because they have no other option or are suffering from poverty, 98% of them are out there because they want to be there, and/or are addicts that have burned every bridge and double crossed everyone that has offered to help. They have an F*#K Y*U attitude. When you see enough elderly or disabled people have to risk walking in a busy street just to get around these imbiciles, you begin to understand. They are not broken people, they just dont care. There is a very tiny minority that are truly broken and need help. I do feel for them. They are easy to spot.

Dont get me wrong...they are not all bad people. I have met some of them and genuinly like them, but at some point, a man needs to help himself and conquer his own demons, no one else can do that for you...

Sorry for going astray and off topic...
100% Dead on. I’ll stay off topic for a second. I spent 35+ years working public safety. While homeless advocates like to hold up the homeless mother with children, and yes, some exist… the majority I’ve encountered are there by choice. Going back a century, you’ll find “hobos and bums”. Why work when you can spend your life camping, imbibing or doing your favorite drug, and panhandling for the few bucks you need to support your lifestyle?

What I found most irritating is the number of people that piously point their fingers at California - say it’s a cost of living problem. Bullsh!t! What they don’t know is that the MAJORITY of ID’s I pulled on transients revealed that they were NOT from California. It’s the weather stupid! Coastal California has some of the most temperate weather in the US. Where better to be an “Urban outdoorsman”? Iowa? Florida? There’s no ice nor dripping wet stifling heat in these coastal cities. I can’t tell you the numbers we’ve offered shelter services that they turned it down. The second part of the problem is the numbers of bleeding hearts that have bought into the “poor homeless” story and hand them money. But that happens everywhere. They just lack the nice weather.

Now… back to survey’s!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 16:09   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
I'd sure like to know where exactly this happened since I live aboard in SoCal and would like to be aware of which marinas to avoid. Which marina was this and where? Thanks
LA's Cabrillo Marina in San Padro.
Paradise1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, liveaboard slip, survey