Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2024, 16:20   #1

T-Fal Ingenio Nesting Cookware - any good?

Fairly few options in space-saving cookware. I've been eyeing SmartSpace (New Zealand - HERE) for a couple years. But recently saw T-Fal Ingenio in a department store in Mazatlan MX that looked interesting. Wondering if anyone has experience? Induction ready which is great - decent Amazon reviews, but looking for real-life experience.

https://a.co/d/0hLUacuA
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 19:18   #2

Location: Salish Sea in summer/Puerto Vallarta in the winter - no boat just sun and beaches!
Boat: Benford 34 Junk Schooner
Re: T-Fal Ingenio Nesting Cookware - any good?

I have not used the model you are considering with the removable handles. But t-fal is is a common brand in Mexico - we use frying pans made by them on both an induction cooker and a propane cooktop at our home in Puerto Vallarta. The seem very similar to other brands with nonstick coatings that we find in teh US. Not better - not worse
PaulSommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 21:37   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This isn't quite the same either, Peter. We had the use of a 14" T-fal frying pan at one of our house-sits, and it seemed quite good. But like Paul wrote, nowadays there are a lot of really quite good non-stick induction cooker type cooking things to choose among. Nesting stuff with only one handle, though, doesn't appeal to me. We need to shift pans to smaller burners.

With much less space total than the mvweebles, I'm wondering if it is a re-thinking of stowage in the galley that is needed? Our skillets nest; our cooking pots nest, and the lids are separate, in the same locker, because almost all of them have lids, too. Does your stove have an 8" drawer under its width? Our stowage for the pans is under the cooker. Does your boat have a place for platters or cookie sheets? it's a possible place for lids, too.

Ann
Old 08-07-2024, 04:10   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I never pay attention to brands, but we bought a large t-fal frying pan (non stick) and it has been best one I remember using.

All I cook is scrambled eggs and grilled cheese, so take my comment with huge dose of salt…
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 04:22   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Can't tell about those, but I can mention the quality of the detachable handles will be something to look at specifically.

Our nesting set was originally from "Welcome Aboard" (or some such), at one time available to the household market direct from Cuisinart, and now available from Magma. The removable handle thingy started from a separate patent, so far bullet-proof (over the last 25 years or so), and there are both non-stick and induction options available, and we have extra handles.

-Chris
Old 08-07-2024, 04:42   #6

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
This isn't quite the same either, Peter. We had the use of a 14" T-fal frying pan at one of our house-sits, and it seemed quite good. But like Paul wrote, nowadays there are a lot of really quite good non-stick induction cooker type cooking things to choose among. Nesting stuff with only one handle, though, doesn't appeal to me. We need to shift pans to smaller burners.

With much less space total than the mvweebles, I'm wondering if it is a re-thinking of stowage in the galley that is needed? Our skillets nest; our cooking pots nest, and the lids are separate, in the same locker, because almost all of them have lids, too. Does your stove have an 8" drawer under its width? Our stowage for the pans is under the cooker. Does your boat have a place for platters or cookie sheets? it's a possible place for lids, too.

Ann
The larger set comes with two handles and you can buy an extra one.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 11:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann
Thanks Ann. Weebles is a relatively small 36-foot trawler (old-school: 1950's design from Bill Garden) and doesn't have much more space than a 40-foot sailboat or so. The biggest storage issue I have are the long handles on skillets and sauce pans. I was in a Liverpool dept store in Mazatlan and saw these on display and was intrigued so I thought I'd ping the CF Bigger Brain.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 16:46   #8

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I have cooked with T-fal on a friends induction hob on his boat, several years in a row and think they are great. My last view of them was 6 months ago and they were still in great shape. I was a chef in a past career, I would recommend them for consolidating and cooking.
Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2024, 20:15   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Take a look at what Carolyn shack recommends on boat galley.com. Great source and I have found her tests to be spot on.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2024, 05:02   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

MVWeebles we have been using Smart Space pots for six years plus without an issue. The removable handle has been excellent and still clamps like the first day we purchased them.
We got the pots on Facebook market place for some crazy low price still in the box. The lady selling them had arthritis and couldn't comfortably squeeze the handle shut.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2024, 06:41   #11

I swear by my Lagostina Salvaspazio pots and pans. On special years ago at the French department store Galerie Lafayette. Came with stainless lids rather than glass and I've both the long and short removable handles. They all stack nicely inside one another, including the steamer.

Like the boat, I expect they'll outlive me.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote