Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2010, 23:14   #1

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Taking the Big Step?

After a perfect morning ominous grey clouds came over as I headed out the back door of my rented terrace for a surf. I should have known something was wrong as confirmed when I got home to a rental termination notice. I could probably argue it and my property manager is very understanding, but really after things have been so stale for so long, especially employment wise, I think I want to go.

I have a really pretty little H 28 Ketch that might be a bit small for some, but to date I have found it livable on a few extended cruises. The thing is when I get on the boat I just don’t want to get off.

Likewise, if I accept the termination I should be able to sell a few things off to cover a few necessary repairs and modifications. I am also a chef and expect the job opportunities traveling to be better than working around the same old “traps”. Then I have studied maritime law, which might also come in handy?

The biggest negative about moving onto the boat is that I have a young daughter who needs my guidance. Still, it is not hard to keep in contact and airline tickets are reasonable. Maybe too it might be better for her if I get out there and see what the world has to offer?

So what I am probably really asking all those dedicated liveaboards out there is it worth just accepting fate and permanently moving on board?
Old 29-08-2010, 23:46   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Tough one Shane, the only advice I could offer…. is not to take any emotional baggage with you onboard.

So making things right with your daughter about your plans would seem to be the critical issue…… and if you can include her in them from time to time…even better
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 00:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Tough one Shane, the only advice I could offer…. is not to take any emotional baggage with you onboard.

So making things right with your daughter about your plans would seem to be the critical issue…… and if you can include her in them from time to time…even better
Thanks - I am honestly a bit more worried that I will end up with more “emotional baggage” hanging around here in the same rut. On the other hand, my head is a lot clear and my outlook on life has been brighter on recent cruises.

Then my daughter really does like it when I send her things from far a field and tell her about the wildlife and adventures. I am definitely looking at ways of involving her in future plans including somewhere in the distant future upgrading to a bigger boat with another private cabin.

A bit off skew, but if I ever did get the opportunity to upgrade these are the kind of boats I would consider. Well at least I have been doing my research and giving it a lot of thought!

Gozzard 30/6,

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2073045&ybw=&units=F eet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=42024&ur l=

Hans Christian 33

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1992/Hans-Christian-33T-2150565/Deltaville/VA/United-States
Old 30-08-2010, 04:29   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Nice choices
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 04:46   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
I have no experience with the Gozzard, but I've spent a lot of time on a HC33. Good friends lived aboard and cruised one for several years. Great boat to live on with a big pullman berth and lots of room below.

Shane, the one in Deltaville is just down the road from us and 'll be there in a week, shall I check it out for you?
Old 30-08-2010, 16:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I have no experience with the Gozzard, but I've spent a lot of time on a HC33. Good friends lived aboard and cruised one for several years. Great boat to live on with a big pullman berth and lots of room below.

Shane, the one in Deltaville is just down the road from us and 'll be there in a week, shall I check it out for you?
Doodles,

Thanks for the offer, but I am more than happy with my boat for the time being. The good thing is that the main mast on the ketch is well forward and divides the V berth so the daughter can have one side and me the other. Bit of a romance spoiler on other occasions, but nonetheless presently convenient. Then I need to head out and find that extra $80,000 US before she starts hitting the age where she will need her own cabin. (Noting I have at least five years before this becomes a concern.)

Still, it is great to know I have contacts that offer such services and really appreciate your suggestion. Had I met you earlier there were seriously some boats at bargain prices in America when I bought mine during the recent economic crisis. Hopefully some other needy cruiser will pick this one up at a good price.