Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2012, 18:42   #31

Boat: Marshall 22
Re: Taser

Well, no need to go too far in this off-topic discussion, so I'll only respond to a couple of points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
phiwum, the dynastic ban on metal implements was a snippet of history I picked up a long time ago. I have no idea which dynasty. Then again, I can't tell you which European court (royal court, not legal) also banned forks for a while, as folks thought the cute little tridents were for spearing at each other instead of the meat. And I can't tell you exactly who ordered the lethal blankets from European smallpox victims be sold to US natives, knowing full well that it would kill them. Nevertheless, someone did sell them and they were remarkably effective, with a 90% kill rate recorded in at least one instance.
I was going to tell you that modern historians regard the smallpox blankets story as a folktale. Evidently, however, it did happen at least once, if we trust wikipedia! See Siege of Fort Pitt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Whaddya know? I was wrong on that one!

Quote:
If you were banned from having metal implements of any kind, what would you use to eat with? Wooden forks don't work (literally) even if you have the time and good wood to make them, so you've got shallow spoons, and chopsticks, and not much else to invent. Chopsticks are even better because there's little work (time, money, luxuries) needed to "make" them, and they can be used for fuel (a luxury) tomorrow.
Yes, chopsticks are cheap and don't require metal. But that doesn't show that chopsticks were invented or first popularized by a ban on metals. It's just plausible (more so to me) that chopsticks were already widely used prior to any such ban.

But never mind. It's really not a big deal. I was just curious if you had a cite at hand, so that I could learn more.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 19:02   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.

HelloSailor, I like the homemade bear spray idea. Once you have the hardware, you can get the spray ingredients in virtually any grocery store in the world. Any specific recommendations on a Granger spray can that gives you some decent range? How do you pressurize them? What ammonia/tobasco ratio? And when you say "fresh", how fresh is fresh? IE, when should you proactively change out the contents?

Geoff
Old 29-05-2012, 19:02   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
(Wikipedia doesn't agree with that story either, but it's a slim authority compared to two wives.)
If I was married I wouldn't suggest anything was a "thinner" authority then her.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 04:07   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay

COUNTRIES IN WHICH STUN GUNS ARE RESTRICTED:
AUSTRALIA
BELGIUM
CANADA
DENMARK
HONG KONG
INDIA (POLICE USE ONLY)
ITALY
JAPAN
NEW ZEALAND
NORWAY
SWEDEN
SWITERLAND
UNITED KINGDOM

Tasers are not restricted in the UK , they are banned. - period. They are also banned in Sweden.

I don't no where you get this information from Gord, but you regularly put up mistaken information specifically in relation to European firearms legislation.

Most european countries have a complete ban on "self defense" weaponry , like sprays, tasters etc as they have no sporting purpose. Self defense is not ( in general) a reason to own a lethal or stun weapon.

not getting into any gun debate here

Dave
Old 30-05-2012, 04:31   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Tasers are not restricted in the UK , they are banned. - period. They are also banned in Sweden.

I don't no where you get this information from Gord, but you regularly put up mistaken information specifically in relation to European firearms legislation.

Most european countries have a complete ban on "self defense" weaponry , like sprays, tasters etc as they have no sporting purpose. Self defense is not ( in general) a reason to own a lethal or stun weapon...
A “ban” is a restriction.
I suppose, I should have said “somehow” restricted (to some degree).

Some sources for Stun Guns Laws and Restrictions:
Stun Gun Laws - Are Stun Guns Legal?
Stun Gun Information law by Stun Gun Direct
SC IMPORTS - STUN GUN LAWS
Stun Gun Laws
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 someone is wrong on the internet.png
Views:	197
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	41643  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 04:53   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Gord, I fully support your intent.

In Europe a restricted firearm is in general ( as outlined in the European Firearms passport) a firearm available to be licensed but generally under significant extra conditions. The term restricted doesn't generally mean a ban per say.

The correct term for tasers is "prohibited".

I have said before, Internet general sources on firearms legislation , especially European legislation can be very misleading. My club regularly takes firearms around Europe to competitions and the rules are complex, byzantine and often difficult to fathom. Rules which apply to citizens may be different to visitors, importing is different to just visiting, and then completely different rules apply to visiting by ship.( then there are transit rules etc).

All that can be generalized is to say , that such devices are generally prohibited in many countries but that ones needs to appraise oneself as to the relevant legislation that applis to the specific situation.

Dave
Old 30-05-2012, 05:28   #37
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
If I was married I wouldn't suggest anything was a "thinner" authority then her.

Wise adivce as old Confucius himself would have agreed with.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 18:13   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff S. View Post
HelloSailor, I like the homemade bear spray idea. Once you have the hardware, you can get the spray ingredients in virtually any grocery store in the world. Any specific recommendations on a Granger spray can that gives you some decent range? How do you pressurize them? What ammonia/tobasco ratio? And when you say "fresh", how fresh is fresh? IE, when should you proactively change out the contents?

Geoff
Hi, I'm a biochemist. The pressurized spray can is a great idea. However, it would be more effective if ammonia and tabasco were not mixed. Spraying straight ammonia or straight Tabasco would each be stronger in their own way.

Ammonia is basic, and tabasco is acidic. When mixed, they neutralize each other. So if the solution is mostly ammonia, adding a little Tabasco will just neutralize a little bit of the ammonia, making the ammonia a little less strong.

Here's to mixing cocktails - cheers!
sethpool is offline   Reply With Quote