Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2015, 18:28   #46

Boat: csy 37
Re: The £200 Millionaire: Buy a boat for 4738 € + live on board with monthly 375 €

Sailorchic, I found an old gallon can of Trinidad at my sailing club, must have been at least four years old, according to the Commodore. Sure, you can have it. I spent about an hour with an electric drill paddle and a stir stick and adding a little paint thinner. Looked as good as the two gallons I bought and went on just as well.
Just to be safe I used it on the second coat, not the first.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 18:25   #47

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler
Re: The £200 Millionaire: Buy a boat for 4738 € + live on board with monthly 375 €

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Of course I need to get the bottom painted sometime real soon now. It's 6 years now since the last haul out. I'm hoping to haul next spring, assuming the money fairy pays me a visit sometime.
Have yet to do this to either of my yachts, but then I've only been aboard for a little over 4 years. I go around them in the dinghy every 6 months with a paint scraper on a broomstick, it seems to get the worst off. If I were actually on the move nothing much would accumulate under there.

Considering the efficiacy of the new "environmentally friendly" antifouls - which need to be redone annually - it seems to me to be a waste of time and money anyhow. The only effective ones left have copper in them, which I can't use on a ferro due to electrolysis. Maybe for a cruiser it's irrelevant, we're in no hurry and can afford a little hull drag.

I also resent having to pay some yard to haul me out, then gouge me for pressure wash &/or soda blasting services that I don't want, in the name of "environmental protection." This crap came from the ocean, so returning it there can't cause any issues. One yacht is a bilge keeler that will sit happily upright on a beach, but woe betide me if I pull out a scraper and give it a once over. Careening is a lost art, and even New Zealand - which has free tidal cleaning bays all over the place - has now stopped their use.

Madness I tell you, utter madness.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 20:03   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Have yet to do this to either of my yachts, but then I've only been aboard for a little over 4 years. I go around them in the dinghy every 6 months with a paint scraper on a broomstick, it seems to get the worst off. If I were actually on the move nothing much would accumulate under there.

Considering the efficiacy of the new "environmentally friendly" antifouls - which need to be redone annually - it seems to me to be a waste of time and money anyhow. The only effective ones left have copper in them, which I can't use on a ferro due to electrolysis. Maybe for a cruiser it's irrelevant, we're in no hurry and can afford a little hull drag.
In the summer months I swim and pretty much every day will hit a spot here or there on the boat. I'm down to the old paint in places but as no major hard growth, I call it pretty good.

Yes more and more restrictions and costs everywhere.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote