Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 08:36   #16

Re: The Geriatric Vessel

French canadian boats are prefaced by "La".... La Cannal boat.....

Did I hear mention of a houseboat? LOL

I have heard of the Barracuda having a bow wrap and going into the gulf....batton down the sliding door!

I think they are a great choice for rivers. Lots of room for deck chairs!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 08:37   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
Capt you lost me with the comment on the "french canadian canal boat". Is there really such a thing??
It's unlikely there is such a boat, but I have met cruisers from Quebec on two different ocassions in Florida who were on big portlight, low freeboard, single level boats around 40' that I favored, but could not identify. They looked somewhat like the "Bluewater Yachts" which are pretty much houseboats, but these were different. My conversation was limited to smiles and nods and "bon batteau" said with the inflection of those born in the Ozarks, like me.
Old 31-12-2012, 09:31   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

You are a few years ahead of us but we have already made a decision for when that time comes. We are in the process of a long rebuild of this boat using the West System. We see her ready to go in about 3 years, though we will still be sailing our trimaran at that time but we are able to have her in a 'Boat House' till we are ready to do the Great Loop

Great Loop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is our final boat

Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club - View Boat

She is a 31' the last of 19 that were built and is 100% original. I do like the boats you are considering. Good luck in your search.

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
My wife and I have been living aboard fulltime and cruising sailboats for more than forty years. Now in our mid-sixties we are planning ahead for a new phase.
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 09:41   #19

A trawler with an easy access from a big swim step sounds good for you. I wouldnt worry too much about the "roll factor" for your stated cruising area.
Another economical option is a small -ish catamaran, just store the sailing rig and off you go at trawler speed. Nice thing is very easy water access and economical powering.... as well as no rolling at all.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 10:25   #20

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

We are talking thread title vessels here, right?
The last thing I want to do when coming alongside, with my starboard aft trick knee, and port forward torn rotator cuff, is to have to climb down from a flying bridge, or dash thru a cabin, and along a skinny sidedeck to secure the bow and stern.
One advantage of the sailboat is that I can easily lead bow and stern lines to a central point on the linelines, and step ashore to tie up. The constant (close to) height of a flush deck is very appealing, ergo, CaptForce's comment about a single level. Am I correct Capt.

BTW pat --a beauty. I ran a 48 ft version with twin M6 in the 70s
Old 31-12-2012, 10:39   #21

Hmmm.... think about it... how often do you tie up vs go into the cabin? on a sailboat, you will be going up and down the ladder constantly, as opposed to occassionally coming down from the flybridge.... and if docking, use the lower helm.

Old 31-12-2012, 11:05   #22

Hmmm--think about it. Traversing the companionway stairs in a sailboat is not usually an action predicated with some necessity for speed. Being immediately adjacent to your handy dock lines at the same level as the cockpit, is considerately less fraught with potential injury than doing the same thing on a trawler, for instance.
I sometimes run a Monk 34 and find it much more work compared to my Reliant 41.
Your experience may differ from mine.
Old 31-12-2012, 11:20   #23

I guess we differ on that. The lower helm on my trawler was easy to access the outside and one small maybe 8" step. Stepping over the coaming in a hurry on any of my sailboats was more trip prone (watch the head on th boom also!). But I was thinking more about the wear and tear on the body during the 95% of the time you are not docking. A cat or a trawler is significantly easier on the body in that situation.... JMHO.

Old 31-12-2012, 11:31   #24

OUCH!!--forgot the damn boom again Happy new year Cheech.
Old 31-12-2012, 11:41   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Our custom for docking has always been most successful with Nancie at the helm and me doing the more physical tasks with lines and pilings. This will likely remain the same and a helm at the deck level will be essential. Considering the post polio syndrome that seems to be taking away a fair amount of leg strength, particularly steps, we will be looking for something that has the galley, main salon & master berth on one level or minimal steps. I will not be disappointed at this stage to limit our cruising to ICW and river locales. The biggest block to my search has been finding something that suits without gas inboard/outboards. I'm very determined to find something with a small inboard direct drive diesel. The '36 ChrisCraft posted above is a prize, but I will not do well with wood.
Old 31-12-2012, 13:36   #26

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I prefer boats that are pointy on 1 end & squared off on the other. That said there are a lot of houseboats on the inland lakes & rivers where I've boated. Gibsons have been in the majority, they have 1 model the Executive that is all 1 level, they do have a bridge & a lower cuddy. The main berth, solon, galley, dinning & lower helm are 1 level. In the last few years they have offered yanmar diesels as a option, none would be old enough to be at your price point. There was & it still may be for sale a 55' Kings Craft (aluminum boats) around Redwing, Minnesota that has 6 cylinder Perkins, it's a mid 70s. That's the only older diesel powered HB I've seen or heard of. I saw 1 Gibson offshoot with a single inboard gas GM & bow thruster, house boaters & sailors have one thing in common all of them I've seen bow in to a slip. Good luck with what ever your choice.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 14:00   #27

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Since this is not my "first rodeo", closer to my fifth, I will not be attracted to new or expensive. I won't spend more than 20K over what I can make by selling my Morgan 41' OI which will bring me about 50K at best. I can appreciate the Nordhaven & Krogen that DeepFrz suggests or the Great Harbor thought from Sailmonkey, but I know that I can pick up the geriatric vessel I need for well under 70K. Donradcliffe's note about engine access will remain high on my list of needs. I'm not as worried about roll, but I'll need to keep Nancie's needs in mind. I should add that the one-level plan and the whole change is largely due to Nancie's post-polio syndrome which is taking away her ability to climb steps easily. Actually, Blue Stocking's Mainship Pilot recommendation is one that I've been looking at. In addition, there are a few Grand Banks that have fit, but I should add that I will not accept anything with a teak deck or excessive brightwork. ......and then I'll go ahead and mention the darkest side. Nancie was very impressed with the Holiday Mansion Coastal Barracuda that she visited. There is no way I can accept the two big gasoline inborad/outboards, so as long as they are not producing these with a single diesel, I'll remain safe. I must be honest though, I would accept the "houseboat" if it meets all my criteria. I think we'll find a 35-40', one level, low maintenance, single diesel (or two small diesel), fiberglass hull fore under 70K. My best leverage is that I know want I want; I've five years to find it; and I will not be lured by a pretty facade.
What about the Lund version of the maine ship... similar. Older I think and much cheaper. Or a converted trawler?
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 14:16   #28

Might be a little longer than you want, but check out the Pearson Portsmouth 43. They were only made for a few years. 1973 and then again in 1985 I believe. It's somewhat of a houseboat/trawler hybrid.
trh2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 18:41   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

I'm not sure I can offer more to this enlightened discussion, but will add that good sailing friends, who lived their entire lives aboard a 50' sloop that covered every ocean, including several visits to Antarctica, recently changed ships as they neared 70. Here in Australia we have a bevy of hard chine trawlers, beamy and spacious, single level with the sole watertight over the machinery space giving very good access. Older ones with lots of good gear are relatively cheap. Theirs has a slow thumper, a Gardiner, and they use the standard anti-roll planes used by trawlers here. They remodeled the aft deck to include spacious, salubrious accommodation and entertaining space. In this fine craft they have continued their travels, recently circumnavigating, first Tasmania, then all of Australia, and now they are touring SE Asia.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:55   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trh2h View Post
Might be a little longer than you want, but check out the Pearson Portsmouth 43. They were only made for a few years. 1973 and then again in 1985 I believe. It's somewhat of a houseboat/trawler hybrid.
Thanks trh2h, this seems to be the best fit for my search that I've seen to date. 'a little longer,- bigger than I need, but very suitable.