Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2013, 09:42   #1
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
The Idiots in Charge of Dry Tortugas

A little rant here, Ive been visiting the Dry Tortugas for several decades. Ive seen them spending big money trying to slow the atrophy of the monument to our governments waste. Ie.. the big fort that was never finished or used for anything worthwhile. Meanwhile they exclude us from areas of the park and charge admission supposedly used to police us.Wouldnt the money be much better spent on putting mooring balls in locations all over the park that people want to visit? Ive seen many people dragging into the coral, not to mention the damage done as anchor chains and rodes sweep the bottom clear of plant life and coral. Theyve excluded most of the park to recreational fishing now when on a given day Ive never seen more than a handful of people dropping lines in the water, me being one of them. i just dont get it. Are the officials really that stupid? I should mention my fishing is done while under sail dragging a spoon or two, not sitting in one place trying to catch everything under the boat. Little common sense here would seem to be in order.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 09:46   #2

Re: The Idiots in Charge of Dry Tortugas

"Little common sense here would seem to be in order."

Expecting common sense from the government. lol
Old 19-12-2013, 09:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Idiots in Charge of Dry Tortugas

Maybe invite some of the Gov' desk jockeys for a day sail and show them the sense behind your argument..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 09:55   #4

Boat: Nordhavn 50

I agree that the park would be much more user friendly if there were moorings. But maybe that's the point. Maybe they are trying to discourage private boats from coming to the park...
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 10:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
A little rant here, Ive been visiting the Dry Tortugas for several decades. ....Wouldnt the money be much better spent on putting mooring balls in locations all over the park that people want to visit? Ive seen many people dragging into the coral, not to mention the damage done as anchor chains and rodes sweep the bottom clear of plant life and coral.
It is your park and you make a good argument. Write a letter. Call your representative and/or senator. I bet you it would not be that hard to get this change made.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 10:28   #6

Logic and Govt are not compatible....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 10:46   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Idiots in Charge of Dry Tortugas

True... but revenue is.. show them what can be gained with fixed moorings in assorted prime locations and promotion to encourage cruisers with $$'s to spend locally..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 10:54   #8

So they've been charging admission, and spending it on maintaining the monument? You're right, that's complete madness.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 11:59   #9
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I have written the National park service several times. Ive also written the lwcf whos mission states

"Created by Congress in 1965, the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) was a bipartisan commitment to safeguard natural areas, water resources and our cultural heritage, and to provide recreation opportunities to all Americans'

They are failing in their mission. They are the ones closing off areas of the park instead of planting mooring balls.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 12:11   #10

I was fortunate enough to spend a few months out there as a volunteer. One thing I remember, was that the park was being "managed" from the Everglades office, and that a lot of the basics, such as phone/internet communications were very much down prioritized by the head honchos back on the mainland who didn't "get it". I don't know if that's still the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still was.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is.. Don't blame the dozen or so folks that live out there, blame the desk jockeys..
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 12:34   #11

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Back in 1985, as an FCC engineer, I got sent there for a week to oversee installation of a radio direction finder on the lighthouse to keep track of Castro's moving AM broadcast stations around in response to Radio Marti. Certainly one of the best business trips I've ever been sent on!

I was impressed by the immense, pristine beauty of the place, coupled with its great fragility. A few mooring balls to keep anchors off the reefs might be a good idea, but I'm not sure I'd want to see it promoted as any kind of major destination.

It wouldn't take massive crowds to ruin it forever in short order.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 12:43   #12

National parks do far more good than harm, and if they put mooring balls out it would likely attract more people to one particular place.

I'm certain they're not perfect, but neither are those who drag their anchors over coral. I think it's a great idea for you to write them a letter, and advocate any improvements you can think of.

As for regulations, there are many places out there that aren't national parks, and you can go there without following park rules. If you're in a national park, however, you should generally follow their rules.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 08:24   #13

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
National parks do far more good than harm, and if they put mooring balls out it would likely attract more people to one particular place.

I'm certain they're not perfect, but neither are those who drag their anchors over coral. I think it's a great idea for you to write them a letter, and advocate any improvements you can think of.

As for regulations, there are many places out there that aren't national parks, and you can go there without following park rules. If you're in a national park, however, you should generally follow their rules.
What are the park rules and regulations for anchoring?
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 05:15   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Putting a lot of money into a derelict unfinished fort. Closing off parts of the Island. No buoys etc. OK all you conspiracy theorists. What is the Gov't hiding/building there. Landing port for extra terrestrials?
Old 21-12-2013, 05:26   #15

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
What are the park rules and regulations for anchoring?
"Vessels may only anchor overnight on sandy bottom within one nautical mile of the Garden Key Harbor Light"

http://www.nps.gov/drto/planyourvisi...&PageID=350231
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry tortugas