Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2008, 11:26   #16

Boat: One-off schooner 21m Leopard Normand III
Send a message via Yahoo to linnetwoods Send a message via Skype™ to linnetwoods
In more than one place we have fetched up in and found work, we have done the math and found that a taxi, from the nearest spot the dinghy could be safely left, worked out cheaper than owning a car, especially when you do a cut-rate deal with the taxi company because you are using them regularly. Sometimes it's a taxi to the bus-stop and sometimes a taxi all the way, at least until friendly locals can be found to trade regular car trips for the occasional Sunday out on the boat... We have taken to using a padlock each end of a chain on our dinghy and another on the outboard and can usually find someone to leave the dinghy with. Sometimes it works better to ask a likely candidate whether they know anyone who could let you park your dinghy every day while you go to work than to ask directly whether he or she would be willing. The response is usually that the person you are asking would be happy to accommodate you themselves but, if not, at least you haven't put them on the spot...
linnetwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 11:57   #17

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Sean,

Maybe look into renting a room or small studio where you can stay a few nights a week? Couple hundred a month, but probably quite a bit less than a marina.

Maybe make a '3-night a week' deal with a motel owner for a reduced rate? Or offer to trade a free 'weekend charter' or something?

I dunno... just ideas.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 12:12   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sean, I seem to remember that you once posted a picture of your wife here, and I respectfully suggest that you let her ask for a place to park the car and take a shower. The woman in the picture I remember could get just about anything she wants just by asking - if she asks a man.

TaoJones
Old 21-06-2008, 12:46   #19
cruiser

I've never owned a car. Clients provide transportation to the job site as a condition of me working for them. Haven't paid moorage on my current boat in 24 years. I can spend a winter in the South Pacific for less than the cost of owning a car for 5 months, or the cost of 8 months moorage.
Friends use the inflatable Kayak to get ashore, then deflate it and take it with them.
One guy said he bought a $79 cheapie from London Drugs as a temporay measure when his hard dinghy got stolen,and by being extra careful, got two years out of it.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 13:02   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Dunno what dink you have, but maybe cut a large hole in the bottom and the missus can just take plug with her?

Or some sort of folding dink which can be stored in the car?. Or a bigger car. dink stored inside? (or on the roof?).......think of all the money she will save on Aerobics classes etc simply manhandling the dink twice a day
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 19:58   #21
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDFL View Post
Maybe calling it a commercial yard is stretching it, but they do commercial and private work ....There are a few private boats drug up on shore going through refit including one really neat catamaran. The front end of the yard by the road is trailer boat storage and a bait shop.

I know the place. Pretty close to the last property where the canal hits the Bananna River. I never thought of them as a boat 'yard'.... but of course, that's what they are.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 01:56   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
After years living aboard, I'm running into a little issue:

I need to be in my current location for some work. This is land work which requires a commute 3 days a week (my wife is doing this). I am chartering or possibly doing something else... still narrowing that down.

<snip>

PS: What prompted this is my wife getting busted (lol) for taking a shower at a marina this evening and me getting busted picking her up.
I am having a little trouble connecting the dots and admit I can be slow at times.

You and the boat need to be where you are so you can do boat related work. Your wife needs to work on shore 3 days a week somewhere else and so needs to commute. The problem is the car cannot be parked near the public dock where you can land the dinghy.

Why not?

The part about the shower I don't understand. Does that have something to do with where you park the dink and the car?

At the beginning of my career I lived in a cab over camper mounted on a Datsun pick up truck for abobut 18 months. I worked at a remote airport with no facilities.

Several of us "liveaboards" worked out a deal with with a nearby RV park to use their showers. We paid a couple of bucks at the time for a shower.

We had a water tower and cold showers most days but that weekly "go to town for a hot shower and a restaurant dinner" was a real treat - LOL.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 03:27   #23
cruiser

[quote=Ex-Calif;176239]I am having a little trouble connecting the dots and admit I can be slow at times.

You and the boat need to be where you are so you can do boat related work. Your wife needs to work on shore 3 days a week somewhere else and so needs to commute. The problem is the car cannot be parked near the public dock where you can land the dinghy.

Why not?

[\quote]

The town of Yarmouth, ME had a restriction at the town dock. No overnight parking without a pass. Pass = $10/night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

The part about the shower I don't understand. Does that have something to do with where you park the dink and the car?

At the beginning of my career I lived in a cab over camper mounted on a Datsun pick up truck for abobut 18 months. I worked at a remote airport with no facilities.

Several of us "liveaboards" worked out a deal with with a nearby RV park to use their showers. We paid a couple of bucks at the time for a shower.

We had a water tower and cold showers most days but that weekly "go to town for a hot shower and a restaurant dinner" was a real treat - LOL.

We tried working out a deal with the Yankee Marina in Yarmouth, Maine. They were very *very* rude, treated us like homeless bums and told us the restrooms, showers and dinghy dock were for "customers only."

I said, "great... I'm ready to sign a contract, pay whatever amount and become a customer" and they said they didn't want me as one.

It was incredible how rude, pompous and downright mean the people who run/own that marina are. I would avoid it like the plague while cruising the area.

In fact, we are just leaving this area, after someone we know was shot in Portland. This place seems great, the water nice and clean, but the people? Horrible.

We're going to suck it up and go back to running megayachts for a few years. Wife's idea.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 05:18   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... In fact, we are just leaving this area ...
... We're going to suck it up and go back to running megayachts for a few years. Wife's idea.
Good luck in your new endeavours.
Will the Catalac be going on the market?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 05:40   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Good luck in your new endeavours.
Will the Catalac be going on the market?
Thanks, Gord.

The Catalac will be mothballed, since we are confident we have the right boat to go cruising with. They just don't make cats out of solid glass anymore. I don't want a cored hull.

Going cruising is tough. You need:

*Boat
*Significat Other
*Money

I have 2 out of 3! ha ha

Just need to get that $$.
Old 26-06-2008, 07:49   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sean we have really reasonable rates where I am in N.E. Florida. A great hurricane refuge too. If you are going back to Megayachts, and want to leave the boat. Look into Reynolds Park Yacht Center on the web......Reynolds Park Yacht Center You can even see the house on Imagine in the pic.....LOL....BEST WISHES in whatever direction life takes you, and your lady. As in everything else time will take care of you, and this temporary set back is only temporary. Especially for a guy with your determination!!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 19:32   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
The town of Yarmouth, ME had a restriction at the town dock. No overnight parking without a pass. Pass = $10/night.

<snip>

We're going to suck it up and go back to running megayachts for a few years. Wife's idea.
OK I get it.

I would point out that $280 a month for parking is a deal for some people. I used to pay $650 for a parking space in Japan - LOL.

Running Megayachts - awesome. I hope that works out for you both!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 19:52   #28

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
[quote=ssullivan;176259

We're going to suck it up and go back to running megayachts for a few years. Wife's idea.[/quote]

Wow!
There is a big change!

A couple of years of nose to the grind stone huh?

I know how you will feel.

I have been "on call" (and worked at least half of it) between 325 and 349 nights a year for the last 3 1/2 years. I work all the cases I can during the days.

My plan (5yr) was to collect a bunch of the boat bucks but now the "economy" is cutting into my plan.

Mostly, most things suck right now.

I wish you luck.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 13:56   #29
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Sean, I think we are all feeling the pinch these days. In our case, I know our customers are. Hanging out with the beautiful people for a couple of years doesn't sound like all that bad of a plan.

Give me a call if you need anything.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 15:16   #30
cruiser

Could be, Dan... $280 might be a deal for some, but not when you're trying to save for cruising. Expenses are the root of all evil at that point. Especially for a 2001 Hyundai Accent! ha ha

As I had mentioned somewhere else, we have changed from high spending Manhattan dwellers (parking our Mini cost far more than a car there) to boat people trying to save for cruising.

All else has failed for us.

There is no logical way for us to get from Point A (where we are right now) to Point B (cruising) any other way.

We will return to working for the elite aboard their yachts until such time as we either a) win the lottery, b) inherit something, c) open up a "donations" website, or d) time goes by and we're old.

A little depressing, actually. It's not possible to cruise without being born with a silver spoon of some sort, or waiting until you're old these days. Country entrance fees, cost of fuel, cost of marine products, marina prices, etc... etc.... there is no way to do it.

Thanks for that, Rick. I figured you've been busy lately. Would be good to catch up.

Tags
liveaboard