Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2021, 07:24   #1
cruiser

Boat: mgbeTGD
Send a message via ICQ to SuttonCS Send a message via AIM to SuttonCS Send a message via Yahoo to SuttonCS Send a message via Skype™ to SuttonCS
The Next Adventure

So, I'm excited, frightened, sad, and joyous. I am in the process of buying a 1970 Morgan Cruising Ketch in MS. This is the second sailboat I've ever bought the first one was a few thousand on e-bay and you get what you pay for and I made all the mistakes a first time excited buyer could make. This time I would like the adventure to last longer so I am trying to be more careful.

I have visited the boat where a young man and his wife and four kids live and am very impressed with the boat. Though to be honest I don't know enough to know if the boat is as good as I think. I have been approved for the loan and next week I'm taking a friend with at least some sailing experience with me to make a final inspection and a short day sail. Assuming these all go well I'll finalize the transfer and be living aboard by the first of the month.

The boat is currently in a marina that was recently foreclosed then purchased. The benefit of this is at least for the next month there is no slip rent while the new owner acquires the underwater land lease. I intend to spend this month at least provisioning the boat and making some initial upgrades and repairs. After this I will decide where I want to sail.

This weekend has been hard saying goodbye to everyone and every thing in my old life and basically giving away all my worldly possessions because they wont fit on the boat or in my new life. I'm trying hard to fill the hours with research and reading about the various equipment currently on the boat.

I am sure there is much more to say but this will suffice for now. The point was to reintroduce myself and create a central thread where I can ask questions and keep a record of my adventure. If there is any one in the Biloxi MS area that wants to see my boat, go sailing, teach me something, or whatever please reach out. I am from Oklahoma and will be looking for experienced teachers as I have never lived aboard a saltwater vessel. I also will be looking for crew members and will post in the appropriate forum.
SuttonCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 07:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Next Adventure

Good one..
Hope everything lives up to your hopes and expectations..
Keep us posted..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 10:16   #3
cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to SuttonCS Send a message via AIM to SuttonCS Send a message via Yahoo to SuttonCS Send a message via Skype™ to SuttonCS
Re: The Next Adventure

So my boat is powered by a Volvo Penta MD-17-C. Combustion engines beyond oil changes and changing the water intake screen is one of my weakest knowledge areas. I have found an operators manual here.

Volvo Penta - Publication Web Shop

This would at least let me know maintenance procedures but it's 50$ just for the e-book. Which I will spend if I need to but I'm hoping someone here has the same motor and may be willing to share the manual or some advice. I know asking people to share e books is shaky ground for the forum but I don't think there are copyright issues on 40 year old technical manuals.
Old 26-03-2021, 10:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Next Adventure

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...nta-Penta.html

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 23:27   #5
cruiser

So I think I'm finally finished packing. Trying to snag some digital content before I lose internet. Downloaded open CPN and relevant charts is there anything else on the must have list digitally?
Old 28-03-2021, 23:41   #6

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

Go to project Gutenberg and download a few ebooks for entertainment to go with that technical manual. Free of course.
Old 29-03-2021, 18:05   #7
cruiser

Thanks for the suggestion that is something I'll definitely consider. Currently broke down in Malvern Arkansas with what I think is a bad fuel pump will hopefully get to the boat tomorrow night.
Old 30-03-2021, 17:25   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sutton CS,

I'd like to suggest to you that you make no changes to the boat for the first year.

Of course, you should make sure the water stays on the outside, but it takes time to learn what you want.

For example, with our current boat, the first thing Jim did was give the boat an oil change, and then install an engine hours meter, so we could be sure of getting the timing right for future oil changes.

The point is that we have elected to save money by only changing the minimum to keep her good for cruising.

Good luck with your new boat, may she bring you many hours of pleasure.

Ann
Old 31-03-2021, 11:36   #9
cruiser

Well it's official I own a sailboat. There was a mini-adventure just in getting here and getting it bought. Now we've unloaded but not unpacked the things I brought and are planning to take at least the day to rest and recuperate. Then it's on to regulatory and other minimum requirements.
Old 31-03-2021, 19:36   #10
cruiser

Captains Log
3-31-21

The first day--
The first day was really a continuation of the last our motel last night was unacceptable and we left around 2am to come to the marina and wait on the previous owner. We had hoped to go on a day sail with him as a test cruise. He arrived just after 0600 and far too early, before the heavy fog lifted he decided to motor around the bay. After being unable to spot the navigation beacons and stay safely in the channel his wife suggested we abandon the idea. It was reported that a proper test sail would have to be outside the barrier islands and would likely require all day. We knew weather conditions get worse afternoon. Having decided our brief demonstration was both likely all we would get and at least minimally sufficient I proceeded to purchase the boat.

The early part of the day was consumed by carrying everything down the dock to the boat. It was more exercise than I am accustomed to but I will adjust. In The early afternoon there was high humidity and nearly 80 degrees every was sleep deprived and it was initially miserable. After a few brief naps we were able to bring the air conditioner online. The mermaid 16500 AC is old but serviceable. This unit makes both heat and AC off of either shore power or the heat from the engine coolant line. It's primary flaw is that it is currently installed in the captains wardrobe giving me no closet or personal stowage. This will of course be corrected in time. I hope to be able to install this in the wasted space beneath the captains wardrobe or beneath the starboard berth. The AC through hull valve to cool the compressor is beneath the starboard birth and has been left open.

We continued the day with idle random inspections and have decided the entire electrical system should be reworked. Also noticed a small water leak on a circular flange on the engine which has been there a while and caused rust on the outside of the engine. James has said that it is a water pump containing a small plastic impeller and that he has some experience replacing a similar pump on the African Queen. I need to do more research and correct this problem.

Because we are on shore power I added some luxuries to our larder. A half gallon of milk a dozen refrigerated eggs and a pound of breakfast sausage to name a few. The fridge is quite small smaller even than you would typically find on an rv and works only on shore power. I intend to research its power consumption and decide if it is practical to run on an inverter. Since the stove already requires propane I would not be averse to creating a parallel propane system on this vessel and using an RV style fridge that can run on propane while underway.

Towards the end of the day the wind started picking up. It is hard against are star board and blowing us into the pier. We rubbed a little of the green paint port side but I am told there is more. It became obvious that we are woefully short of bumpers and fenders and probable even utility lines. It is currently 2130 and the wind is about 30 knots out of the north. The lines banging on the mast because we are short of utility line and bungee cords are the loudest noise beyond the basic horror movie sound effect of wind whistling over the vessel. The boat is really stable and doesn't rock much in spite of leaning some away from the wind.
Old 01-04-2021, 16:23   #11

Congratulations on your purchase: frankly, I’m glad you had “the glitter rub off,” from your previous sailing experiences... it makes me feel better about your realism. Don’t look back... this is (your) boat, and you will both eventually settle in to each other.

Much agreed: unless obvious, don’t spend money on what seem like problems now. Sail, sail, sail, and your perspective on where to spend money will give birth to itself. Let pure functionality be your best guide ~ only way to discover that, is to sail.

A sailboat is just a kite with bigger strings... go fly it.

Long term concern: start your slow-roll kitty for a new engine NOW... even open up a seperate bank account for it so you keep your hands off that money.
*I (have not) heard good things about volvo engines, and I add to that from the trucking industry, calamitous failures of these engines that left independent truckers broke. Baby it, and save.

Super-cool that (redundant systems) are required everywhere on a sailboat: good to know you have (sails), if the engine quits.

Tender: look into Tohatsu Propane outboards,,, I bought one, and I’m in love.

Just fall in love with your own dream, and “fall in work” with (your) (boat)... ))) you have one!! And that’s a lot more than some folks can say! Scrub it, shine it, tinker on it, but don’t buy a thing. Let the boat prove to you what it really needs.

B
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 17:57   #12
cruiser

Captain's Log

Day 2 April 1st
Woke up to two problems. The first was that it is a little over 40 degrees with 20 knot winds. I would have never thought the first problem to solve on my tropical cruiser would be cold weather. Thankfully we each had a blanket packed and my coat gave another. Finally this morning we started the engine and are now testing the heater that runs off the engine coolant. We also completely crushed the inadequate boat fender and likely lost a little more paint off the rub rail. It needed painted yesterday anyway.

The heater that I thought yesterday had dubious value compared to its space requirements and the stated requirement to have the engine running has turned out to be essential equipment. While the tropics maybe warm the coasts of the US are not guaranteed to be so outside of hurricane season. Thus while I still intend to move the heater AC out of my wardrobe I an no longer considering removing it entirely. Also I learned that it will run on shore power without the engine.

Captain's Log Continuation

Yesterday's inspection revealed more that I should log. The cabin deck plates fit so tightly as to be nearly inoperable. I intend to sand down the edges and improve the fit. Also the aft deck plates are missing their pull rings. It also revealed how important it will be to have the engine inspected by a mechanic. Thankfully my cousin Justin who happens to be a well trained diesel mechanic has graciously agreed to meet me in Houston later this month.

Captain's Log Continuation. It's 56 degrees and still 30 knot winds here so I have mostly stayed inside on the computer. This time isn't wasted though as I am learning to put facebook in data saver mode and turn off auto play and stuff so I don't burn through my phone data too quickly.
Michael has also been reteaching me the bowline knot. It is very strange I used to be at least competent with rope but after my stroke a few years ago it feels foreign to me. He also got the stove lit earlier, so another system that we know at least works.

So the electrical systems are most in need of an overhaul. The interior cabin lights have been replaced with LED, also the red and green bow lights have been replaced. Other than that pretty much everything needs redone. The radio is not installed there is a COAX going up the mizzen mast that should theoretically go to an antenna. There are also 4 disconnected solar panels on the Bimini top. I know there is no aft light or anchor light. I am hoping to have checked all electrical systems and have both the shore power and DC systems working correctly. Thankfully my friend Kenny is in the process of renting a car and driving down to help me tackle this project.
Old 01-04-2021, 19:11   #13

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Sounds like you're well on your way to crossing oceans.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 14:15   #14
cruiser

Captain's Log Day 3
April 2 2021
It was still cold this morning but the wind died down quickly to only about six knots and it is a pleasant 63 degrees. I unpacked the food I brought and James made the first meal in the galley, sausage patties. Mike and I went to Walmart for more supplies and spent roughly 400$ getting a nice folding dock cart to help us carry things down the pier some needed tools and cleaning supplies. Oddly the most expensive thing was a few gallons of engine oil. Later I need to go to a parts house and get a few oil filters. I've spent the last hour removing all the cut wires from the AC side of my electrical panel and will need to spend at least another hour doing the DC side. Kenny should be in transit today and can devote more time to designing and installing a proper electrical grid throughout the boat tomorrow. Well I am going back to work.

Tags
manuals, morgan, new owner, penta, volvo