Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2012, 12:28   #16

Re: There are Different Types of Live-a-boards

We are encountering a new variety of cruiser down here in the Caribbean. They call themselves "commuter cruisers", spending the winter here and hauling and storing their boats on dry land during the hurricane season and returning north for the summer.
For us, we seem to meet two basic types of liveaboard cruisers sailing the islands, though I know of no labels to differentiate them. Those who still have a home ashore and those who don't; their boat IS their home. Few, if any of them use marinas for anything beyond fueling and the dinghy is their car.
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 12:42   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: There are different types of Live-a-boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
why is it that some people allways feel the need to put a lable on every thing!
Agreed. The impulse to label gets a bit strange. How is it that someone feels better about himself because he's labelled someone else a "dock queen?"

Person A is a better liveaboard than Person B because he has more miles on his keel? I thought we were supposed to get over that sort of thinking back in high school.
Old 26-11-2012, 15:14   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: There are different types of Live-a-boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
...................How is it that someone feels better about himself because he's labelled someone else a "dock queen?"..............
"Dock Queen" has a negative conotation? I never seem to be able to keep up, but then I thought the "N" word was Nubian! There are some stellar dock queens at the marina where I am at this time. Few would not envy their accomodations. I don't think the dock queens are feeling bad about the label!
Old 26-11-2012, 15:25   #19

Boat: Finnsailer 38

This is the "Cruisers Forum" isn't it? I prefer and use that term, whether or not I happen to be living aboard at the time. Even when I was tied to the dock for long periods I always thought of myself as a "cruiser," though I might use the term "sailor" around people who weren't into boating because they think of cruising as something to do with bars and trolling for a date, and motorcyclists think of you as a Harley rider.

In Florida you don't want to call yourself a "liveaboard" because that is a legal definition that makes you subject to more onerous laws in some places. And, there are lots of people that sneer at liveaboards for various reasons.
Old 26-11-2012, 15:55   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
...........In Florida you don't want to call yourself a "liveaboard" because that is a legal definition that makes you subject to more onerous laws in some places.......
I have continued to refer to myself as a liveaboard in Florida since 1972 and there is no risk in this description. The "liveaboard" legal definition that is used to control the problem with derelict vessels in Florida does not apply to boats that are at marina slips or those that are actively cruising. If you are anchored in Florida waters, with the ability to move to pump out stations and actively involved in navigation, there is no difficulty with your status. I continue to remain at marinas and anchor in a great variety of Florida locaations as a "liveaboard". I certainly agree with Kettlewell's description that "Liveaboards" are illegal in Florida, but this is only in regards to a very limited definition of the term.