Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 16:42   #46

Boat: Jeanneau 371
Re: Things to get while in America

Don't you strike your ensign at night Jim?
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 16:58   #47

Boat: PT-11

maple syrup

printer ink
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 17:00   #48

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasailor View Post
Don't you strike your ensign at night Jim?
No, not normally. It is illuminated by our lower anchor light, and i think this relieves me of the obligation to lower the ensign in hours of darkness... as does my refusal to be governed by archaic flag etiquette rules promulgated by old gentlemen in blazers and whites!

Jim
Old 14-03-2017, 17:02   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

chainplates and tangs.
tang
spam.
hahahahahahaha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 17:26   #50

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Re MarkJ's comments:

In Polynesian cultures, the giving of gifts is kinda obligatory. The islanders, if they get to know you much at all will be giving you stuff. Their cultural expectation is that you will reciprocate, so having things on board that are earmarked for this activity is not just OK (IMO) but needed. In places where one can buy such items from local vendors, Mark's ideas seem good to me, but in many of the areas we have visited in the Pacific islands that option is not available... hence bringing some gift items is helpful.

But the best thing that we've found is to do some helpful act for the village or villagers. I lost track of the number of outboards I've worked on, sewing machines I've adjusted... things that I may not be highly skilled in, but better able than the locals to do. Once I was able to repair the entire power grid of the village of Solotavui on Kandavu island! This consisted of two small gen sets, one ancient off-brand one with Briggs and Stratton motor, one shiny new Honda 2 kw. These were in the big school on the hill by the village, and the expressions of joy on the kids faces when they ran was priceless... you see, they powered the only VCR and display on the whole island!

Even better is if you can teach a villager to do some such thing for himself. Not easy to find that opportunity, but rewarding for all if you can.

When we were in the Solomons some years ago, the main source of income for the villagers was selling wood carvings. In the more remote areas, they had little use for cash because there were no stores. They specifically wanted to trade, and we were advised ahead of time to be supplied with such goods. Second hand clothes, especially for children, were highly prized. Tools of all sorts, but especially good quality woodcarving tools were also desirable to them (but please, no cheap Chinese crap! They for sure know the difference!). Rolls of sandpaper in various grits, paste wax and other wood finishing materials... all good, all appreciated, and not undercutting local vendors.

So, a lot depends on which islands one is visiting. The French islands (French Polynesia and New Caledonia) have more developed infrastructure and a more cash oriented economy than say Tikopia or the Russels. Plan accordingly!

Jim
Old 14-03-2017, 18:35   #51

After a year in space an ASTRONAUT was asked what he missed the most....................cheese !
CatboatWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 18:42   #52

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Lots of folks recommend buying from the US/UK/Aus kids toys, sports kit, clothees, schoolbooks, fish hooks, bullets etc to give as largess to black people in remote places.

Yes its well meaning but really screws up the local people and can even get you slotted in jail!

You have cut out the business that normally provides these things. You have given stuff for free where no charity is needed or asked for.
Yes there are places that want and need your assistance but ruining the business of the only store on the island is not the way to do it.

An entrepreneur brings in fish hooks at his expense to sell to local fishermen at a meger profit... and some rich fat cruiser floats in and gives $10 of hooks for $2 of fish.

Instead of raping the only local with the fortitude to trade its much better to buy fish hooks from him and then give them away if you want.

Same with school exercise book: buy them locally and you support the school and the island.

As for bullets as someone suggested. That's just lunacy. Indonesia its instant jail (Aussie who was jailed there for 12 shotgun shells). I never saw a gun in the marquesas and don't k.ow what they would use them for there anyway. And why would they need .22LR?

The Marquesas are French islands fully stocked with normal French Police with normal French handcuffs. Its not some tin-pot banana republic! Run ammunition in there? Someone must be crackers!

"Leave nothing but footprints" is cultural as well: destroying businesses; turning honest locals into hand-out mentality beggers, and teaching black children that white people really are cargo cult rich is wrong.

In fact if you REALLY want to help communities you pass through just buy everything from them. Provision from local businesses. Give them incentive and profit instead of buying everything from your home country because you save a few measly cents.

This thread 'What to get in America' should be answered with "Nothing! Buy everything Down Island!"

Mark

Reallly good points.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 18:51   #53

Alll really good replies. Definitely introducing things I haven't thought about. Not only specific items but also adding color/detail to the nature of the islands.
Old 15-03-2017, 11:08   #54

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Great post! Bravo all.

No one mentioned books and magazines!?

I would try to get in touch with any local school in those dispersed areas, to know what is most needed.....

Also, plasters and connective sprays for bruises.... for sure.

No alcohol, no tobacco, please...
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:53   #55

Things to get while in America

How about things like chain or acetone? Are they difficult to come by in the South Pacific... trying to decide if I should carry extra, and how much.
Old 20-03-2017, 14:57   #56

Talking Re: Things to get while in America

Things to get while in America :
-Arrested
-deported
-a lawyer
-insurance
-a young heroin/meth addicted girlfriend?
-AR15
-Ammo
.......soooo many things.... :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 15:21   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Limes? Rumor has it they're pretty dear in some places......

No... use dehydrated lime in packets - wonderful stuff and stores well.

True Lime Powder | Powdered Lime | True Lime Packets

Check out amazon for deals on this.

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 22:12   #58

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
How about things like chain or acetone? Are they difficult to come by in the South Pacific... trying to decide if I should carry extra, and how much.
Bring some, you can get more in Papeete, Auckland, Australia. You will quite probably spend some cyclone seasons south of 22. New Caledonia has lots of supplies, too.

Ann
Old 20-03-2017, 22:19   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Bring some, you can get more in Papeete, Auckland, Australia. You will quite probably spend some cyclone seasons south of 22. New Caledonia has lots of supplies, too.

Ann

Thanks, I'm actually planning to get across the Indian Ocean before November via Vanuatu, Cairns, and Darwin . I'm kind of on a two year plan now that I've spent 10months in Hawaii.
Old 20-03-2017, 22:54   #60

How about some small 1 or 2 kw portable gas gensets to sell?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote