Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2017, 14:07   #16

Boat: islandpacket
Re: Thinking about a boat....

A/C, large shower, little to no exterior wood. In very good shape other than electronics.
The rest depends on what you want to do with it.
Old 13-06-2017, 14:57   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
For shallow draft and low-cost entry into the sailing world, have a look at composite trimarans. Find one in good shape, though. You don't want to spend all your time rebuilding a tired boat.
The other benefit (for some, not all) is less pronounced healing.
Ah yes, but think about the small galley, saloon, heads. The wife would not like that. (nor would I for that matter)
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 04:46   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
A/C, large shower, little to no exterior wood. In very good shape other than electronics.
The rest depends on what you want to do with it.
'Good ideas here from Badsanta. The "large shower" suggestion reminded me of a route we took to increase our shower size. I added about 8 feet of hose to the hand-held shower wand within our aft head. This nozzle and hose length could be passed out through the aft cabin vent for showering on deck. Our shower space had an option with no limits!
Old 14-06-2017, 07:34   #19

Boat: Scout 30

I'm also a fan of full keel boats. Not sure what your budget is but here's one I found on Craig's List. It's a reasonably priced good quality full keel boat with a draft that will work well in Florida. And much more room than the Nor' Sea 27.
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/6134689718.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 08:32   #20

I appreciate the feedback guys keep it coming.

And your correct Sailfish that’s why I’m just trying to get information. Not to mention with my wife I can't push her towards anything. There is no way we will be able to commit on a huge cruiser right now. I'm just trying to find something that can give her a taste that’s manageable, and keep the maintenance and operating cost down. Looking to the future, if she grows and likes it we can go bigger. But i have a son and another one on the way so i want it to be something they can enjoy as well.

And Iceman i would love to have a Whitby 42, but like I said. that’s a no go with my wife. She doesn't wanna commit to something that big or costly to maintain.

I really have been looking a lot at the Contessa 26s. Mainly price, maintenance, and mobility. I'm looking at one that comes with a trailer. I could tow it with both my trucks, but I'm unsure about how long it takes to set up and disassemble the rigging. That would be my biggest concern. This way i could keep it on my property when we aren't using it, keep it in good shape, and avoid the docking and storage costs. And I know the space is tight but I'm only 5'8" and my wife is a shorty also. Remember i'm talking about only going out on the weekends right now.

Scout30 I have seen a lot of those Island packets and I understand I lot of guys use them. I’ve always been curious how they sail though? They just seem very “round” I guess? I don’t know if I’m communicating that well, but that boat in that link did look very roomy for a 30ft boat.
finalwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 09:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalwest View Post
I appreciate the feedback guys keep it coming.

Scout30 I have seen a lot of those Island packets and I understand I lot of guys use them. I’ve always been curious how they sail though? They just seem very “round” I guess? I don’t know if I’m communicating that well, but that boat in that link did look very roomy for a 30ft boat.
I think that's actually the 27' model. When you see LOA it usually means they're including the bow sprit or something else like a swim platform. Of course a marina would agree with them. I would caution you that if you're thinking about trailering you need extreme shoal draft. If you actually intend to use the boat regularly I would keep it in the water unless you're talking about something really small that's easy to rig.

Where are you located and can you share your budget?
Old 14-06-2017, 10:03   #22

Scout when you say shoal Draft do you mean like a “shallower Keel”, or like a beefed up keel?

contessa 26 Boats For Sale

Those are some examples of the Contessa’s. Most are overseas but there are some in the states. My budget…… That’s a tough one… Some days more, some days its less LOL.

Realistically… I’m wanting a boat, rigging, registration, title, insurance, and all equipment necessary to get started for around 15k (and that includes any upgrades I do). And that is most definitely the high side. Now keep in mind I have access to a wealth of equipment to include; welding equipment, machine shop and lathes, wood working tools, and I’m definitely handy. I actually live on the Apalachicola river in North Florida. That’s about an hour west of Tallahassee FL if you’re not familiar with it.
Old 16-06-2017, 07:49   #23

Boat: Macgregor, 26X, 26'

Greetings,
Wish you the best. Just a word of encouragement. I live near you in Panama City and bargains are out there. Have seen free a time or two, with all that implies You have to be quick on those though. I have been looking for probably about two years but finally found a Bayliner Bucaneer 28' on a double axle trailer for $800. No I did not forget a zero Not as roomy a boat I think as you may be looking at and definitely probably more suited to a newbie like me than someone who has experience but still bargains are out there especially for those who are "handy". Found mine on CL.
Jimmy4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 08:30   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Thinking about a boat....

I am very new to this myself, however I have the wife that I had to talk into it as well. My advice is if your plan is to live aboard and the wife isn't into almost camping type of living, your going to need closer to 40' than 30'.
Yes, you will need AC and a Marina to keep her from tossing in the towel.
I'd say either start saving for that 40' one day, or buy smaller with the intent on not living aboard, maybe a trailer sailer if funds are tight, saves on the Marina bill.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 08:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalwest View Post
Scout when you say shoal Draft do you mean like a “shallower Keel”, or like a beefed up keel?

contessa 26 Boats For Sale

Those are some examples of the Contessa’s. Most are overseas but there are some in the states. My budget…… That’s a tough one… Some days more, some days its less LOL.

Realistically… I’m wanting a boat, rigging, registration, title, insurance, and all equipment necessary to get started for around 15k (and that includes any upgrades I do). And that is most definitely the high side. Now keep in mind I have access to a wealth of equipment to include; welding equipment, machine shop and lathes, wood working tools, and I’m definitely handy. I actually live on the Apalachicola river in North Florida. That’s about an hour west of Tallahassee FL if you’re not familiar with it.
Shoal draft refers to the amount of water needed to float the boat. The problem with launching a deep draft boat is you need to get the really far in there. Usually some kind of extension is necessary along with a long boat ramp & a high tide. So for trailering what you want is a swing keel where the board is housed inside the cabin. That way your boat is no harder to launch than a skiff. There are plenty of boats out there designed this way but they're typically on the smaller side.

The Contessa 26 is basically a Folk Boat design. It's a seaworthy boat but is a small 26 & noted to be a wet ride. With it's 4' draft it would be very difficult to launch & would make more sense kept in the water. With your budget you can get into something bigger & better in my opinion but you'll need to keep it in the water.
Old 16-06-2017, 09:53   #26

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Sorry to hear about the wife's decision. Don't feel like you're the only one. There are some great blogs through which you can cruise vicariously.

Thoughts on the discussion. Sailing school live aboard programs are a terrific way to get in some sailing and sailing adventure. I know. I used to be a sailing school cruising course instructor. Now retired at 67.

If day sailing, buy a boat that's fun to day sail and easy to dock. Definitely have a diesel inboard engine.

Take a look at the C&C 30 listed in this forum's used boat section. What a sweety she appears to be.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 10:24   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post
Greetings Finalwest,

I caught the above in your post and wanted to give a little input/hindsight...

Whatever you buy... make it something you can resell quickly just in case you hit the god awful "see, I told you so" doldrums. Boat yards and brokerages are littered with us "guys" broken dreams. If you truly want to go as a happy couple... go slow. Don't rush. Be patient.

Share video channels with your wife like "White Spot Pirates". A single female out cruising or others like it on Youtube. Just send her the links and let her watch them at her own speed with no pushing from you. Us "guys" can be intense sometimes.

Hit your local marinas and yacht clubs and meet some happy sailing couples. Let your wife get to know these sailors and ask questions of them at her own pace, not yours.

This input comes from a been there, done that guy. It's not the type of boat or shape of the keel that really matters... it's doing it together as a happy couple that really counts.

Good luck to you!

Yes, listen to Sailfish!

Welcome aboard Finalwest,
It is possible to get into a good small boat for not too much money and that helps sell it to the significant others. But first help your wife catch the bug too. Try some local charters and some nice relaxing sunset BBQs on other people's boats. And then some sailing lessons for your wife in fun little boats with SOMEONE ELSE teaching her if she is up for that.
There are a hundred different boats to recommend. In your neighborhood a shoal draft can come in handy and there are some nice old, strong, sea-worthy shoal draft designs, like the old Tartans, that would be good to look at. The old boats were built well and if they have been maintained well and refitted well, you can find some good bargains among them.
But first things first, make sure it is a team project.
Check bluewaterboats.org for some good candidates and you might check out this social group for some ideas too:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Plastic Classics

And you know, we always discuss boats, we get obsessed with boats and the right designs, and the keels, the hulls, the anchors and on and on ... but it is not so much about the boats, it's about the sea and being out on it and living with it and on it and in it. If someone loves the sea, if they get excited at the sight of dolphins appearing on the bow, if they really come unglued at the sight of a spectacular sunset, if they really light up that first time they pull on a little rope and a piece of cloth and feel themselves accelerate over the water, then they are on the way to being hopelessly hooked too.

A bunch of us are right there with ya.

edit: BTW Nor'seas are fine little boats, but not cheap. It is pretty hard to beat fiberglass for strength, durability and ease of care. Boats from the 60s were built strong and many are still out sailing far away. The 70s saw some problems with resin and production boat builders cutting corners to crank out lots of boats. Many of those were not as strong and had more blister problems. If you fancy a particular boat or design, I am sure there are folks here who can give you experienced advice.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:21   #28

Great Insights guys! And Don and Sailfish you are both right. Just do give some more information I understand this is a "Cruisers" forum, but I'm in no position to be cruising full time. However, when ever I look up information on boats or other resources I get deferred to this forum/site a lot so I figured I'd just go to the source and see what kinda thoughts I would get. Thats why my budget is limited. I don't want to loose my tail on a boat that i can't get any resale out off. Thats why I'm leaning more towards a fixer upper. I know some of you guys are pitching the nice showers and bigger galleys and room, but realistically its not gonna work for my first sail boat. I would LOVE a 40+ foot boat, but maintenance, docking, insurance; its just not feasible for me for a weekend boat. Not to mention i'm trying to get my wife on board. Thats why i'm looking at the 30ft and under. The only real discriminators that i have is if it can sail descent in bad weather (that's why i really wanted a "full" or "long" keel), a sink, stove, toilet; and space where i can either make a freezer/fridge with a cold plate, and put a small hot water heater in. It wont be hard for me to outfit the boat as long as its structurally intact. Refinishing is one thing, but I don't want to replace the Hull or the Deck.

And Jimmy that sounds like a great deal. I have been keeping my eyes open. But sometimes it just takes some time. I'm only about an hour out from PC. Have you had any issues with the marinas down there?
Old 19-06-2017, 08:15   #29

If you actually want to sail on the weekends forget trailering. If you've got $15,000 for a budget I wouldn't spend more than $10,000 on a boat & I'd find one in the best condition possible. Trust me, it'll still need work but the more you have to fix the more you have to spend and it's easy to underestimate how much repairs can cost in both time & money. The main expenses you don't want to deal with are a new motor, new sails or saturated decks. Rigging replacement is not a deal breaker but replacing internal chainplates can be a bummer. Slip fees & liability only insurance for a 30 footer are pretty cheap. Try Progressive. I recommend looking at a lot of boats & not getting in a hurry. I'd keep the draft under 4' if you plan to cruise the west coast of Florida, the Keys and the Bahamas, which you should. This is a good thread to keep an eye on:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html
Old 19-06-2017, 10:13   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Perhaps my experience is helpful. I knew the kind of boat I wanted for local cruising to offshore islands. I wanted one strong, sea-worthy, not too slow!, and inexpensive to buy and own. Since I knew the columbias from the 60s pretty well, I focused on getting the 29. 1962, in good shape, for $4000. 4 foot draft. Long keel. No hull issues, very strong. No deck issues, but even if it did, I'd likely let it go since the deck is pretty thick. I added a couple of good used sails, found other stuff at boat swap meets and on Craigslist. Since the boat is fairly small, doing things like taking down the mast, putting on new rigging and painting the bottom are not too hard and within what most diy can handle. Now in my case I have been doing things myself, but it is smart to look for an older boat like this where someone ELSE has already done all the work. I have seen beautiful, older boats, in very good shape for $10k or less. If you don't mind cosmetic issues and you focus on the basics: sound, strong hull, newer rigging, engine in good shape, sails not too sunburned or blown out, you can be out sailing and going places for not much cash outlay. Sometimes folks get a good boat at a good price and then they put in a load of money to replace otherwise good parts so it looks better, but it still sails the same.
Having said all that, If you want a boat that will re-sell well, Id say get a Catalina 27 or 30. Just be sure the diesel is in good shape.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat