Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2017, 10:50   #31

Re: Thinking about a boat....

Great thread Scout. And I'm on the same page with the budget. I understand it completely. It is what it is. I know i'm going to have to put money into it even after I purchase it. I'm really not to concerned about metal work because i can fabricate most of that. I'm just concerned about what its attached to. No soggy decks, or hulls.

Hudson, I like the way you think. Are those Catalina's Descent? They are literally a dime a dozen and i see them all over the place. I guess I've never been impressed with them because i don't like the hull shape. But... Then again i like the old "Folk" boat designs so I guess my taste might be in question as well.

I'm kinda looking for something like this:

1965 Pearson Triton Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I would bet they would probably take between 8 and 10k for it, if the survey checked out. I'm still going through that new thread though. The other thing i like about it is i could tow it back. So if i did go check it out i could take it with me without paying someone else to deliver it.
finalwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 11:04   #32

Don Is this the same boat:

1981 Hughes Columbia 8.7 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Seems like a descent layout. That rudder though... Its scary to me. I just feel like you take one wrong turn and hit something and your done.
finalwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 14:32   #33

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalwest View Post
Great thread Scout. And I'm on the same page with the budget. I understand it completely. It is what it is. I know i'm going to have to put money into it even after I purchase it. I'm really not to concerned about metal work because i can fabricate most of that. I'm just concerned about what its attached to. No soggy decks, or hulls.

Hudson, I like the way you think. Are those Catalina's Descent? They are literally a dime a dozen and i see them all over the place. I guess I've never been impressed with them because i don't like the hull shape. But... Then again i like the old "Folk" boat designs so I guess my taste might be in question as well.

I'm kinda looking for something like this:

1965 Pearson Triton Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I would bet they would probably take between 8 and 10k for it, if the survey checked out. I'm still going through that new thread though. The other thing i like about it is i could tow it back. So if i did go check it out i could take it with me without paying someone else to deliver it.
The Triton is very similar to my boat. (Mine is a little faster ) It was built strong, it's simple, though not as fast or maneuverable or roomy as more modern designs. But to my mind it is much more sea-kindly and that is a quality that is hard to measure. Being narrow, our old CCA boats tend to heel quickly and then settle in nicely at about 20 degrees. There is something nice to the feel of a boat that is stabilized by its ballast more than its beam. That appears to be one of the nicest Tritons you'll find anywhere and with that trailer (which could be worth 4-5K), that could be a very fair price. The only negative is the gas engine, but a lot of folks really like 'em. That one looks to be well-maintained. But isn't that a long way from you? Before you drive all the way, find one locally and get a look at it to be sure you are ok with the size inside. For me the trade-offs are worth it, for others, not so much.
People have sailed those Tritons all over the place too. While the Catalina is fine for what it was designed for, coastal sailing, most folks would pick the Triton if they are planning to go far. You might keep an eye out for Vanguards too in that genre, its the 32 foot bigger brother to the Triton.

BTW check out this site:
atomvoyages.com

As far as the Columbia, that is a different boat. The fin keels and spade rudders are common now for anyone who wants to race or cruise a little more quickly. Many spade rudder and fin keels are built very strong, but MY OWN preference is for longer keels, molded into the hull and keel or skeg-hung rudders, just for the simplicity and strength they offer. Also, in my neighborhood, spade rudders and fin keels tend to snag kelp and crab pot lines, but that is not a deal breaker for a lot of folks. That Columbia is nice I think though (I haven't sailed one of those) but I know of someone, in fact the guy who wrote the local cruising guide, who had either that one or the 8.3 and he really liked it I presume!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 14:53   #34

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalwest View Post
And your correct Sailfish that’s why I’m just trying to get information. Not to mention with my wife I can't push her towards anything. There is no way we will be able to commit on a huge cruiser right now. I'm just trying to find something that can give her a taste that’s manageable, and keep the maintenance and operating cost down. Looking to the future, if she grows and likes it we can go bigger. But i have a son and another one on the way so i want it to be something they can enjoy as well.
I missed this earlier. I hope I can say this as gently as possible. Whoa! Are you sure you are ready?
But seriously I am a dad too, my youngest is 6 now, and I got my boat, or I should say I let myself get this boat when he was 3. Earlier than that and you will be BUSY with kid stuff and the boat won't get much of your time, and it will demand it... and that may (will?) cause stress at home. And BTW how is your cash flow? The boat will crave that too. I am sure your wife wants to be SURE everything is stable and secure and well managed at home before dad starts venturing out, or even just down to the harbor, too much.

Now if you can really, reasonably afford the time and money, the purchase AND the monthly expenses, then ignore this post.

If not, then think of a small, fun, trailerable boat to whet your appetite until the kids are old enough and your wife is warmed up to it.

I KNOW what it's like to be badly smitten with the boat bug, so that may not be what you want to hear!!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat