Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2016, 16:14   #46

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: "This is how the terminally ill and suicidal behave!"

I haven't really ever heard regrets from those that have downsized. I'm sure there are some out there that never particularly enjoyed it, but I can't say I've come across an article or or an example of such. Of course being biased toward my future lifestyle choice I seldom search out the opposite until just now

https://www.google.com/search?q=I+ha...utf-8&oe=utf-8

I will just ignore all those for now and continue with my plans. The great thing and worst thing about humans is that we don't always agree.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 19:07   #47

Boat: Swan 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Markus Carkus
Re: "This is how the terminally ill and suicidal behave!"

The thought occurred to me a year or so back that it's a significant milestone in a person's life when the focus shifts from accumulating more stuff to getting rid of it. In my 20s, I lived for about 6 months in a tent and had neither the pot or the window. I remember that time now as about the happiest of my life. Starting with a baseline "Be Prepared" Boy Scout mentality coupled to a liberal helping of OCD, I ended up with a whole lot of stuff. I am reminded of the Buffet song "A Pirate Looks at Forty" with the line "I made enough money to buy Miami but I pissed it away so fast...never meant to last". I recently bought a 44'er in San Diego and am currently back in Illinois working on sorting a houseful and 2 storage units full of crap into piles which have a downward progression: Sell first, then giveaway what won't sell, and finally scrap what's left. The seller and I did an "Offshore Delivery" to avoid my having to pay CA sales tax. That means by mid-October I must be out of CA waters. I've spoken to an auctioneer and if he deems my crap worthy, he will haul it all to his sale barn and send me a check when the dust has settled. At least I am hoping that's how it all works out. When I leave here heading to SD, it's a one way trip, I won't be coming back. Books seem to be the biggest problem. Not a lot of people interested in books these days, at least around here.
"one way or another, this darkness got to give"
Markus Carkus is offline   Reply With Quote