Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2016, 17:27   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
"This is how the terminally ill and suicidal behave!"

So I'm downsizing. Cleaning closets, cupboard, and all. I have been giving away a lot of stuff! I'll come across something and say to myself "Oh, she'll love this!", "He could use one of these!". Have a party? Ask the guests if they see any house hold items they'd like? Please help yourselves on the way out. I always get a blank stare, until I explain my plans,

And in my rambling mind, as I rid myself of things, the thought strikes me. "This is how the terminally ill and the suicidal behave!" And I laughed and laughed!

Yes, it'll be be a death of sorts. Death of land life. Death of excess possessions.

And I let go so willingly, so freely. It's most wonderful!
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:02   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: "This is how the terminally ill and suicidal behave!"

Yes, and another thing I would be asking myself is "what kind of favors is she/he going to be wanting after?"
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:28   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Wait and see. You will be surprised how much our well formed habits stick.

I am yet to meet one cruiser who changed their habits from Diogenes to Socrates.

BTW A noble exercise in any case. If only for the benefits of this sound laugh you have had!!!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:37   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

1994, sold the house AS IS including three motorcycles four cars, garden tractor and the paintings on the walls. Took our family photos, 1/4 of our clothes and left. Only regret ..... we didn't do it soon enough
Old 28-04-2016, 18:38   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

No Gadagirl, its how full-time cruisers who have sold off their homes and cast off the lines behave. We have the choice and made the choice to give up our belongings - the terminally ill do not. And if others don't understand, F*** them. We wouldn't be going if their opinions mattered.

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 19:11   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Of course others don't understand: our choices are quite threatening because they say that their lives are wrong, but they don't want the freedom. Their safety lies in living the way they know. They "know" they're right.

Ann
Old 28-04-2016, 19:27   #7

Same thing applies to landlocked souls like myself, making plans for a waterbound life and downsizing to beat the band. Feels great.
Gotta make room for new things by letting go of useless attachments and things that don't hold enough meaning anymore. . . or are part of an old way of being that just has to go.

I'm looking forward to sailing into the doldrums and hanging out for as long as it (or me) lasts. There is something truly magnetically attractive in giving up living on land.
Old 28-04-2016, 19:32   #8
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Barnakiel, I'm not sure that I agree with your assessment for anyone except for the ultra wealthy and those who were already minimalists. On shore, my wife and I had a 3200 square foot home with central air, central heating, a fireplace, an 8 person hot tub, a ground floor laundry room, a circular driveway and a three car garage occupied by a Porsche Boxster, a BMW M3 and a 1957 Karmann Ghia lowlight. We now have a dated catamaran with about 600 square feet of living space, ventilation by hatches and fans and space heaters only when we are at anchor, or dockside. We have a 10 foot RIB with a 20 HP outboard and a 'wonderwash' with hang drying (or laundromats). In past my wife used hairdryers, straighteners and curling irons to her heart's content. Now.... In past I had about 8 suiits, a few sports jackets and a tuxedo. Now I have one sports jacket, 'just in case' (which never happens). In past we ate quality beef - filet mignon, T-bones, prime rib etc. about twice a week. Now almost never. In past we had unlimited internet with countless movie and specialty channels. Now we take what we can get when we can get it. In past we had special appliances - rice makers, espresso/cap machines, coffee makers, deep fryers, slow cookers etc. Now we cook by traditional methods. In past we had a good bottle of wine every night with dinner. Now we have box wine or equivalent, unless we are on a French Island, or somewhere like Sint Maarten or Antigua. The list goes on and on.

So yes, our habits have changed. But as boatpoker says, they have changed without regrets.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 04:58   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Even though we never "downsized", getting rid of stuff has been a constant activity with living aboard. Now that our daughter and son-in-law are living aboard their boat, gifting "stuff" has become a game.

Yesterday I left a wet-suit on their boat. Next, I have a rarely used pop-rivet tool as a gift. We may get cookware and other specialty tools. We have an understanding that these things will find their way to our friends ashore or a donation box.

Many marinas we visit have a designated location for "free" stuff.
Old 29-04-2016, 07:32   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

Good For You! For too long I collected 'STUFF' thinking it would make me happy, now I realize it is just another burden keeping me down. I'd love to sell our home 'As Is', but the wife is still holding onto the past, even things she admits she can't/won't ever use again.

I am looking forward to the day when she sees the light and we can sell this large house that only exists to store the crap we don't use. . .
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 07:45   #11

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
So I'm downsizing. Cleaning closets, cupboard, and all. I have been giving away a lot of stuff! I'll come across something and say to myself "Oh, she'll love this!", "He could use one of these!". Have a party? Ask the guests if they see any house hold items they'd like? Please help yourselves on the way out. I always get a blank stare, until I explain my plans,

And in my rambling mind, as I rid myself of things, the thought strikes me. "This is how the terminally ill and the suicidal behave!" And I laughed and laughed!

Yes, it'll be be a death of sorts. Death of land life. Death of excess possessions.

And I let go so willingly, so freely. It's most wonderful!
YES! it is liberating! less Stuff owning you!
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 07:48   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

not so much a suicide or death, but a rebirth, which also has the same symptoms and rituals
welcome to the smaller side of planet... have fun and see ye out here
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 07:55   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

One of the best feelings I ever had was getting rid of all my stuff and moving my family onboard a Passport 42.
Now we have it all back again. Sometimes I feel like burning down my house. I hate clutter but my wife loves it. Guess who wins.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:13   #14

Boat: 1974 Pearson 39 Yawl

I remember selling/giving/trashing all of our "stuff" when we took off. The kids said it felt like we had died and they were dividing up the inheritance. Of course, that was without the funeral services. No regrets whatsoever, if you don't include the swallowing of the hook and becoming locked down again.
Capt_Flrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:19   #15

Boat: 1991 Island Packet 35

Yep. I am in the same boat as you. My house goes on the market next Tuesday and it's liberating getting rid of all the stuff Also listing my Pearson 33 for sale in hopes of upgrading to a slightly larger boat I am not in the least worried about being houseless and boatless for a few months while I nail down the plans to really "shake it up ". Somehow I suddenly became 62, so My first Social Security check will arrive next month which will help some Hope to see you all at a pristine Anchorage soon
Musicaltrees is offline   Reply With Quote