Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2011, 11:01   #196

Re: Too Late To Start ?

And welcome Patric! This thread really has some great info and perspectives by the old salts here.

I think I made up my mind, since I can't get what I want and I can't build a boat like any decent boat I could buy.

My issue with the motorcycle is really a frame ramp system that couldgo on deck or even off the transom, bike and frame weighing about 400 pounds. That will not raise the bow of any power 32 footer.

I saw a few trawlers, one Mainship 32 aft cabin and that just screamed liveaboard! You can walk on either side of the master bed, two cabins, two bath, a tub! But it does not sail, so seems a smaller sail rig is in order to carry on the upper back deck. The twrawlers I looked at were under 25K, in the early 80s, but with recent overhauls, paint and well kept. Seemedvery functional to me. It would not get the MPG I'd like, but the difference in cost trying to build a more efficient boat or buying a more eficient boat with those amenities will pay for alot of fuel.

That's the direction I'm leaning now, unless someone who is really smart can talk me out of it.....LOL

As to sailing, I'd love to sail a 30/40 footer, but what I'm wanting to do with the Great Loop, a trawler is really the choice vessel...Oh, did I mention the 3 foot draft?

So, a smaller sailboat, maybe a 16 foot tri hull would be fun or even a sailing canoe for those quiet evenings in a bay.....

No one boat will do it all! What do you all think????
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 14:51   #197
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

For what you're planning why not?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 06:31   #198

Boat: Sea Hunt Victory 225 WA

I'm 60, retired this year and I did it. Tons to research to figure out what you need vs. what you want. Leave plenty of money for the recurring costs and be sure to address electronics in your planning.

I wound up with a new Sea Hunt 22 foot Victory 225 walkaround with an ETEC 200HO engine. Took the Coast Guard Auxiliary course (Boating and Seamanship) in May/June...took boat delivery in July. My wife makes me go at trolling speeds, but one-handed I like an occasional wide open throttle at 45 mph. I don't fish yet but that is next year's challenge. I've grounded twice int he last month with no damage thankfully, both new moon low tides and long rides home the the dark (a little scary at first but exciting adventures.)

I've routinely kibbutz with the seals down in the Chatham, MA inlet and on smooth days go out and chase whales east of Chatham.

I'm delighted that I made the call to go for it. Even though I only got it in the water in late July, I've got 120 hours on her so far and am keeping her in the slip as late in November as I can stand it.

Get great safety gear. I got the Mustang HIT inflatable PFD's, the Standard Horizon HX-851 handheld radio with DSC and GPS for the most susceptible to overboarding on any trip and the GX-2150 fixed radio for the boat. Got a radar, too for the thick Chatham fogs and the dark dark new moon nights.

Be deliberate about the mountain of stuff you need to learn about. Don't rush but don't hesitate.

I have had a place down the outer cape cod for years, but getting the boat has made the Cape seem 5 times "bigger" if that makes any sense.
capecuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:14   #199

I have a canoe and an inflatable as well as radios, flares, life jackets and even a flashlight (lol). I'm still a very strong swimmer. I would certainly take precautions but I don't think I'm going to over do it with gadgets.

That Mainship seems to be a very nice way to go....as opposed to my other idea of a modified freighter canoe (lol). But I would like to have something smaller, for my dog and I to go exporing for short trips, 3 or 4 days and closer to home.

I ahve also been reading the budget issues of cruising and looks to me like it's cheaper to live on dirt. I'm just guessing that buying food and drinks along the water cost more than at wally world. House payments and utilities are pretty low (long term mortgage and almost paid off) and the other place is paid for. Gas for the car seems cheaper than for a boat. Just saying, it doesn't seem to be a cheaper way to live at least for me. OTH, I look at the same woods everyday and the deer are the same as well. (I feed them as pets here, they are domesticated deer).
Maybe a year on the water will give me better insight.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:39   #200

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage

Costs depends on what you call "living". If living means dropping andchor is some cove off the ICW and fishing during the the day and liveing more or less off the land with a few potatoes and vegies and now and and then a big mac, you can opperate pretty cheaply. But if you want to cruise by day and be in a tansit slip most nights and eat out often - your are going to spend a lot more money. Some of us find sitting on a boat day and night every day month after month darn boring. I do. I love being in a marina and want and need the company of other people a bit most evry day. Depends on you? It sometimes is the different between 50 cant a glass beer and $5.00 a glass. I tend to like the $2.00 places better than either of them.
jannpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:41   #201
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as re:mainship--check your boats value against depreciation and market value--you may change your mind.... just saying.. had a neighbor in that position--kinda bent over and unable to find the grease....owes 30k more than market value......

one needn't choose big mac as a cheepo dinner--there are many other delicious items for cheeper-- have you priced a big mac recently!!?? waaay out of reach for many, and sans nutritional value. fishing and veggies is not a bad menu. works GREAT for me. ye may wanna anchor somewhere where the men is not merely catfish, however....LOL

right now i am in a place wherein i find a fully cooked real meal with drink for under 5 dollars daily. perfect.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:05   #202

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
right now i am in a place wherein i find a fully cooked real meal with drink for under 5 dollars daily. perfect.
Sounds a lot like some small towns in Colombia that I've been to.

Eat very good with little cash. Great!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 13:06   #203

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

"Is 60 and in bad physical condition too late to start sailing?"

Yes
Old 06-11-2011, 13:26   #204
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

is never too late. sailing keeps you young!!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 13:37   #205
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post

Yes
No.

But within limitations. Won't be going solo RTW - but with the right boat (and crew?) usually plenty of enjoyment to be had locally (presuming you be near the water!)
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 14:19   #206

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post

Yes
No... and once you start that "bad physical condition will soon disappear.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 18:17   #207

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go. Just need to load the tool box and compressor and I can leave, well that and my computer. No TV tonight, It's packed. Tomorrow morning I have to return the cable modem, that's the last thing I do on my way out of town. It's free wifi or nothing from now on. Glad I have the WIfi booster on the boat, I should be able to pick up Micky D's from almost anywhere. Hello Boat!
Old 06-11-2011, 18:23   #208
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Too Late To Start ?

Good one Don.... Happy Day's....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 18:27   #209

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

It's a long slog from dream to reality, just hope my dreams don't go bust when I get to the boat. The Long cross country drive starts tomorrow. SoCal to Annapolis via North Dakota.
Old 06-11-2011, 19:48   #210
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
It's a long slog from dream to reality, just hope my dreams don't go bust when I get to the boat. The Long cross country drive starts tomorrow. SoCal to Annapolis via North Dakota.
Let me know how the business enviroment is in ND(Willeston)..might need to work a few months before I can leave...(IRS)..oh well..good luck and safe travels...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote