Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2012, 03:10   #271
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Too Late To Start ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackzz View Post
Define being done? You mean in a nursing home? Have you seen one of those places? I would rather go out like Slocum than spend my last days there. Ofcourse Im 24 so take it with a grain of young salt
You'll learn .

Basically, the desire (and fun) usually goes before the physical ability to do stuff completely goes.....when anything stops being enjoyable enough for the effort involved (for whatever reason - aching bones or not) it's time to do something else - and that applies to anything and at all ages .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 03:41   #272

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANLEYONE
I'm a new member and have a million questions but this answer's one of them. I am 66 years old; was born and raised in the Midwest and don't even like seafood but will have to adapt. I consider Myself to be in good health even tho I've had two heart stints. I never had a heart attach and didn't know I even had a problem but I think living at sea would solve a lot of cholosteral and high blood pressure problems. I also have a medium sized dog (1/2 Choclate Lab and 1/2 Austrailian Sheppard) that is My companion. I am selling out in Nebraska and moving to the Clearwater, Fl. area so will be studying and asking lot's of questions. So far I'm enjoying this forum. Thanks
I don't like seafood one finds in mass retailers either, but I love most seafood I catch myself. It is like picking a fresh tomato out of the backyard garden or buying a tomato from the store in January. You will likely fall in love with good tasting fresh seafood.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 03:52   #273
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
I don't like seafood one finds in mass retailers either, but I love most seafood I catch myself. It is like picking a fresh tomato out of the backyard garden or buying a tomato from the store in January. You will likely fall in love with good tasting fresh seafood.
Am not so sure - I was born and live on a small island with lots of well regarded seafood......and I don't really enjoy it! (Tuna from a tin is ok though - and am fairly ok with fishsoup, but only if nothing better!).
Old 21-11-2012, 06:40   #274

My comprise currently is (if You can call it Seafood), is Tuna in a can, McDonalds fish filet, Long Jon Silvers. LOL I actually do like teriaki Tuna Filet and have survived a Sword Fish Filet and Florida Grouper. I wouldn't starve and they tell Me that fresh is alot different than canned or frozen.
MANLEYONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:19   #275

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Well, I want to thank everyone who has responded so favorably to the reality of age.

Where do old sailors go? In 10 or 15 years I should be done, depending on health and abilities. I'm not going to live forever.

My home, purchased 3 years ago will probably never be paid off. It could be rented to supplement income and pull the equity out in ten years by selling and stay my paid off property. That could take me to the end of days.

The idea is to make some repairs to my paid for property, rent it and use the rents to finance a boat. Sell a vehicle for the down payment.
Seems too, I retired too early, shoulda done this 10 years ago!

What is scary is pulling the trigger and not having options while having tenants. Forced to stay aboard. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Besides having 6, 7 or 8 figures of investments that cruisers are so well known to have, how are you all facing the risks, financial risks, social losses, family ties and health risks? Seems you need an exit strategy, what is it?
wavewacker - i think you are tryiing to talk yourself out of doing anything - the house the stuff you have is just stuff - live in your house with your stuff and the kids can get rid of it when you are gone = brutal but true -
we had a lot of heart ache getting rid of our stuff but once out we never regretted it - i was 62 and patty was 61 when we left - we do not have 6 digit bank accounts but did get rid of all the land based crap and now we just have a boat - someday we will have to get off this boat as i am now 67 but still going strong - we have quite a number of miles under our keel and more to come - we both know we can not do this forever but until that time comes we keep on keeping on

we can not tell you how many people we met on the east coast who regretted not going - we empathaized but they made their decison and had to live with it --

hate to get blunt - but you are at a line either step over it and live what life brings you or continue doing what you are doing - it is just that simple

oh yea we were never even on a boat of any kind until we took our 1st sailing lesson in 2000 - bought our boat new in 2003 and left in 2007 - never looked back -

just our blunt opinion and thoughts
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trinidad for hurricane season
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:37   #276

My brother and sister in law lost their home to a flood last year and they walked away from it all. Bought a land yatch (5th wheel expandable) and Ford Diesel pickup to tow it with. No more taxes, utilities, lawn to mow and trim, house maintenance, neighbors, etc. So far their are liking it, traveling alow and basically enjoy this great country. He found this site and told Me about it. Now He's thinking sailing and cruising. He say's after 30 days he didn't mis the material things that They accumulated over the years, with the exception of have the right tool sometimes. It's all material and it all costs.
MANLEYONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:46   #277

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

My exit strategy is prepaid burial policy and preplanned funeral.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:48   #278
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
wavewacker - i think you are tryiing to talk yourself out of doing anything - the house the stuff you have is just stuff - live in your house with your stuff and the kids can get rid of it when you are gone = brutal but true -
It's harsh but true - unless what you accumulated over a lifetime has a hard cash value then it will all (mostly sooner, even if some later) be recycled - into a skip (dumpster). the stuff with a cash value will be kept for that reason and then sold when the sentiment wears off .

Not to say that the folks putting stuff into the dumpster won't be sad - but dealing with dead people involves a lot of pragmatics. and pragmatics wins.
Old 21-11-2012, 08:01   #279

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Besides having 6, 7 or 8 figures of investments that cruisers are so well known to have, how are you all facing the risks, financial risks, social losses, family ties and health risks? Seems you need an exit strategy, what is it?
I don't think you need an "exit" strategy. I don't have large investments and switching to liveaboard life has been a change in lifestyle that's actually lowered my financial risks and given me more time to spend with family.

I think there's a few types of cruisers/liveaboards. You have those who are off sailing around the world living off of investments and so on. But I see a lot of people who are retired and just living on their boat at dock. Their life is pretty much the same as any land dweller, they just move around or take off on trips now and again. They have a very active social life at the marina and with other cruisers and do the normal family visit type thing.

Then you have the people(like me) who are still 9-5 job types living at dock most of the time. We tend to stay put, save up, take off for a bit, come back, save up again, etc.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 12:01   #280
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
.............................. But what was mentioned was getting a first boat and make mistakes, learn "what kind" of sailing you do, etc. and move up, etc. find the equipment you need, move up and a few years later you'll have what you need.

Well, if that's the case, then it can be too late to start. While I may have 20 more years (61) doesn't seem like there is five years to trade boats and develop a perfect boat.

So, is it not possible just to get something and live with it? Get it fairly right the first time?................................
Sure, it's very likey to "get it fairly right the first time". We are on our third boat. The first one was "right", but we gained a son and daughter. The second one was "right", but the little suckers turned into bulky teenagers with space needs. The third one has been "right" for the past 27 years and the first or second ones would suit with the nest empty. If you don't plan on a growing extended family or taking in boarders, you very likely to get it right!
Old 21-11-2012, 14:45   #281

Boat: Looking...

Sometimes, folks just feel like they can't find their way home to the pure dreams they had of connection with nature. They may look at their lives and think that they have not lived the way they hoped to live. Cruising seems like the answer to their dream for some.

No matter how old one may be, one's life may reach the time that, like the poet of old, overwhelmed by living in the modern world. one must exclaim,

"I slamm'd the board and cried, "Enough, I will abroad!"

or, as Bob Dylan put it (and Jimi sang so well)

"There must be some way out of here" said the joker to the thief
"There's too much confusion", I can't get no relief
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth.

"No reason to get excited", the thief he kindly spoke
"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late".

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 15:48   #282

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackzz View Post
Tristan Jones crossed the atlantic alone on one leg. then he lost the other and did it again! you can do this
Howard Blackburn did it three times, without fingers or engine!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 16:07   #283

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Here are a few thoughts.

I bought my first sailboat at about 53. I keep her in Newfoundland and don't get to sail as much as I like. But I have put about 3000 miles on her and she is now well set up for single handing.

For odd reasons we, the Wife actually, bought a second boat about 3 years ago that we keep on the Delaware. That is the 44, steel, 44,000 lbs., 5 foot sprit.

This year I took the 44 around Newfoundland, solo. The Wife helped me back from Halifax. So I did 3000 miles alone, and another 1000 double.

So all told I have around 7000 miles, mostly solo, ( and not enough timer for a six pack) and will be 62 next week.

I loved living on the boat, really suits me.

Negotiating next year with Wife. F6 blow that!

If I'm alone I will have the 33, much more handy. If the Wife comes, my druthers, we will do something in the 44.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 01:16   #284

Boat: Hardin Sea Wolf 41ft

Here's my take on it. A song I wrote and sing called You only ever get one life to live, played on my Ukalele, on a beach in the caribbean. Heres the link folks, enjoy.
One life to live - YouTube
shantycrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 13:55   #285

LOL! Thanks all, CCBullseye, my exit strategy is covered as well, I'll end up next to the lake where I played when it was a park, now the Mo. Veterans cemetary.... I got it made! Ofcourse, that depends on what happens as to how much of me would be there...LOL!

Yes, stuff is stuff. I asked my kids about some stuff they might want, not in trust, seems that caused some concerns asking if I was ok. Many who contemplate suicide begin givving there stuff away and cleaning up things for others to deal with....lol, I assured them everything was fine!
Then, after explaining, seems the mood shifted to...oh, you're spending our inheritance!

Have to admit, I'm thinking of a land yacht as well. A Unimog might be faster and less maintenance, but I certainly couldn't dive off for a swim! A boat would be better to live in.

I'm really not trying to talk myself out of moving on, I'm viewing this as a part of life, rather than a deviation from it. No one wants my 124 lbs german shepard or my 70 pound pit mix, they really need to stay together and either are old enough to leave me anytime. Another issue, taking them with me. Guess when you get right down to it, my dogs anchor me here the rest of the stuff is stuff.

The family doesn't seem to care much, lol, I thought they'd be lost without me, their reply is have fun! Well, so much for being the family matriarch.... beginning to think my dogs would tell me the same thing if they could talk!

Great song! Wonder if people would mind me playing my french horn at a marina.... probably not.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote