Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2009, 22:37   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
The noise puts me to sleep
Me too, like a lullaby . As does the gentle squeaking of the mooring line through the fairlead above the foot of our bunk.

The secret on a boat is to become a friend of the noises and not regard them as enemies. Most noises are telling one that all is well.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 06:20   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
Me too, like a lullaby . As does the gentle squeaking of the mooring line through the fairlead above the foot of our bunk.

The secret on a boat is to become a friend of the noises and not regard them as enemies. Most noises are telling one that all is well.
As long as it's not my neighbors halyards slapping against his aluminum mast...ding ding ding ding...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 08:15   #18

Some noises are good for me too... but I have been in a situation where the "slap boink" on the stern was pretty annoying also! Just the right wave height at just the right angle on just the right stern shape I guess!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 09:24   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Wave Blater

Buy the 45" version of the Inflatable Surf Rider Mats, inflate and secure it cross-wise tucked up under the transom to either stern quarter.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 11:00   #20

Boat: Beneteau 321 Andrea Lynn
Friends of mine down the dock use several of the pool toys for kids (noodles) with a line run through the center on the stern to help eliminate water slap. The price can't be much and worth a try.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:44   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Let me toss into the mix a note about the advantage of a little water noise slapping against the hull. Granted, when you're anchored out, the slap will not be directly against the stern, but a little slap can tell you much about your anchor status. If you are awakened suddenly because the slap stops; then, you are probably dragging your anchor!...nature's own anchor drag alarm. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 16:12   #22

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
As long as it's not my neighbors halyards slapping against his aluminum mast...ding ding ding ding...
We call that the "Demented children" around here. Hundreds of little kids beating on pots n pans. Don't ask me where it came from but I first heard the term in 78 when I was living aboard.

As for noise on board, I find that I get used to it in a couple of days. I worked midnights for 4 years and used ear plugs but I find that getting used to the various noises is better, as I wake up instantly if they change or a new one starts up.

I was anchored off Killbear park in Parry sound in the lee of the point there one weekend when a storm came in. I woke up to the sound of my awning flapping, so I got up to take it down. A couple hours later I wake up to a new thumping noise. Right away I know im adrift. My dink was tied to the stern, and the only way it would be bumping the hull was if the boat was moving down wind faster than it was. Sure enough my danforth had broken loose and we were drifting down on a sand beach. I finally managed to get the hook in again, and spent the next 8 hrs on anchor watch till the storm abated.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 16:19   #23
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Let me toss into the mix a note about the advantage of a little water noise slapping against the hull. Granted, when you're anchored out, the slap will not be directly against the stern, but a little slap can tell you much about your anchor status. If you are awakened suddenly because the slap stops; then, you are probably dragging your anchor!...nature's own anchor drag alarm. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Very good point, Aythya!

I love all the sounds of a boat, including waves lapping on the hull and halyard slap. It all tells you something--sea state, attitude of your boat, the level of the wind. When I go to sleep, if something changes, either more or less noise, it wakes me up, and I decide if I need to deal with it.