Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 07:25   #16

Boat: Boatless
Re: Trying to get started as liveaboard after divorce

East coast great place to start and many a well founded dream ready for her next owner.

Don't forget the A/C :-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:31   #17

Boat: Hunter 27

Welcome aboard Mark:

I'm also from Michigan; presently living near Galveston, TX. Your receiving lots of good advice on your replies. I too, went small (Hunter 27) and a sailboat that I could work on and not drain the checkbook if the boat needed to be hauled out or refitted as suggested by Paul. Also needed something that I could single handle and manage, as a soon to be 65 year old; who does not move as fast as he used to.

As suggested by Capt Eric check out TX; we have a large group of LA/Cruisers and marinas are very reasonable, good anchorage areas and friendly bunch of folks.

Good luck on your search, feel free to contact me by private email if you would like to chat further.

Mike
mwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:19   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Go small, go now.
30' is plenty.
The market is flooded with good quality older boats for cheap. Take your pick.

Less is more.

Be happy.
Girls dig that.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:35   #19

Boat: Boatless

Humberking is spot on. Having recently been in the market there are a ton of boats 30-40 available and with winter fast approaching in the NE perhaps a few motivated sellers.
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 16:18   #20

Boat: solaris 42 1978

panama for sure ,, my experience close ,, i split with my panamanian wife bought the perfect live board a 42 solaris ,, 6 foot 5 head room ,, 3 berths huge salon ,, covered the entire back deck from davit to cockpit ,, got friends galore including all the panama hotties a man could want, and then some " whoever buys my boat gets my little black book "" ,, back with wife , bought a house my boat has to go ,, great price and a permanent mooring to go with it svfraidknot@yahoo.com listed here but many changes since i listed it including the price ,,
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 16:45   #21

Boat: Bruce Roberts 36' ketch

hi there, sounds like a repeat of my story..... separated from wife and bought boat, first got a friend to help sail the boat to my home port.... did some repairs that where needed, then left and sailed for 8 years up and down the Queensland coast, staying in different places and learning a lot, then left Australia to south east Asia and have been cruising this area for past 4 years.
The idea is to keep moving and meet new people, have new experiences with food and different cultures. Have enjoyed a lot of my recent life and have done solo.

Good luck
Mishiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 16:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Get out of Michigan. 75% of cruisers I've met have been from Michigan. Most of them were from someplace opposite the thumb. (a Michigan thing). Go to Florida, hang around a marina. You'll soon be talking to cruisers or ex cruisers, might even buy one of their boats. You've got at least 20 years of sailing ahead of you if you start now.
That is sound, encouraging advice. (Thank You). Though not in Michigan, I might soon find myself in the same "boat" as this guy re divorce. And in approaching 60, like your take on sailing. Plus...if one dies at sea...it seems a lot more heroic than in a mobile home park :-/

Is it false optimism to think one could have a comfortable liveaboard that is blue watersingle handable safe/ergonomic? If so, got any recommendations?
jackwantstosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 17:31   #23

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwantstosail View Post
That is sound, encouraging advice. (Thank You). Though not in Michigan, I might soon find myself in the same "boat" as this guy re divorce. And in approaching 60, like your take on sailing. Plus...if one dies at sea...it seems a lot more heroic than in a mobile home park :-/

Is it false optimism to think one could have a comfortable liveaboard that is blue watersingle handable safe/ergonomic? If so, got any recommendations?

I see you have been a somewhat silent member here for a few years. The "Blue Water", solo and safety discussions have been covered quite a bit. Varied opinions to say the least.

Biting the bullet alone at the helm wouldn't be the worst way to go in my book.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.

Tags
liveaboard