Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2023, 14:28   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Typical Plan East Coast USA

Be forewarned that the Maine area is smothered in lobster traps...gazillions of them. These traps can extend quite far offshore.
Sailing thru' them is challenging.....very challenging.....and odds are that sooner or later you will snag a lobster buoy marking the trap.
Typically, this requires a jump overboard to free or cut the line.
Sailing thru' lobster traps is one thing, but anchoring amongst them is another whole dilemma, as swinging space will be very limited, and odds are you'll be swinging up against a trap in short order. Lobstermen are quite attached to their equipment, so be forewarned.
Getting a slip in Maine...in my humble opinion...is the best way to see this otherwise beautiful State.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 14:30   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Here’s the screenshots just in case people think I’m making it up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4328.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	279031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4327.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	279032  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 14:42   #33

Boat: Allegro 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You are right, I mixed it up.

I am sure you can not surrender it, but you simply get a new one. I just checked and I got a brand new one even though the old one wasn’t expired. My previous entry was Feb 10 so I-94 until Aug 9. The system says I got a new I-94 with my July 21 entry and it’s valid thru Jan 20
Lucky you. We where in Canada for 2 months during the time the I-94 was still valid, arrived in Bangor MA and was refused a new I-94 as the old still was valid. It's obviously up to the present CBP-officers discretion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It’s all okay if you don’t try something illegal etc.
Well, the problem is knowing you don't.
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 14:45   #34

Boat: Cheer Men PT41

The I-94 entry process is confusing and as an 'alien' I don't believe you can use the ROAM system.
Flying to the Bahamas/UK or wherever is ok and I agree with previous posters that you should carry your boat papers and cruising permit to demonstrate your situation.
Maybe choose your port of entry carefully. I've had trouble in Miami particularly
- surly immigration folks who are probably stale with all the 'immigrants' trying to pull the wool.
I used to come in at Charlotte NC and found the personnel very friendly.
I agree an agent is not necessary and with your papers I don't think you'll have a problem.
But as previously stated, don't overstay the limit date of your first !-94.
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 14:49   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Be forewarned that the Maine area is smothered in lobster traps...gazillions of them.
Yes, and I find that it takes out much of the joy of sailing in these waters. You have to keep your eyes on the space in front of your boat and you don't experience the beautiful surroundings.
Moving when it's dark ? Forget it.
Old 31-07-2023, 15:00   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickand View Post
The I-94 entry process is confusing and as an 'alien' I don't believe you can use the ROAM system.
O yes you can. You download it to your phone.
In fact, the last time we entered, the CBP demanded we use it. Otherwise we would have had to take long (expensive) taxi ride to their office.

Only problem we had was getting wifi or mobile connection.
We had an american phone but was unable to download the ROAM on that but had the app on another and finally was able to get hotspot working.

So, if entering the US first time, either have access to the internet through you own device or enter to a port where there is a CBP office, not just a port of entry.
Old 31-07-2023, 15:01   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickand View Post
Flying to the Bahamas/UK or wherever is ok and I agree with previous posters that you should carry your boat papers and cruising permit to demonstrate your situation.
Maybe choose your port of entry carefully. I've had trouble in Miami particularly
- surly immigration folks who are probably stale with all the 'immigrants' trying to pull the wool.
I used to come in at Charlotte NC and found the personnel very friendly.
I agree an agent is not necessary and with your papers I don't think you'll have a problem.
But as previously stated, don't overstay the limit date of your first !-94.
No, the ROAM app is mandatory for regions who use it (is that all regions now?) and for foreign flagged boats as well as non-US passport holders who have the 10-year B1/B2 visa.

Old 31-07-2023, 18:16   #38
OBT

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

https://www.sailingthecoastofmaine.c...rbors.html?m=1
If you get to Maine you might find this of interest.
OBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:06   #39

Boat: Najad 400

Thanks. The real experiences of the rules is useful.

I find it frustrating that various organisations I've paid good money to publish advice on formalities. They typically only cover entry and not what happens when you 'get in there' and rarely what you need to do to get out.... which is where all the problems seem to happen.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:53   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

About the ROAM app: it’s a project to prep your first arrival using the app. You need to enter all info about the boat as well as crew members and this includes passports and visa documents. Make sure all that is setup before arrival.

Reporting your actual arrival is done AFTER you arrive. When you’re still out at sea you will be denied entry because you can’t enter out at sea.

Old 01-08-2023, 07:37   #41
KWF

Boat: Tartan 3500, 35 feet

Agree with CarlF’s fine recommendations in his posts
If you go to Maine important to have well functioning radar.
Fogs are frequent. Also, watch carefully there for omnipresent lobster pots which will get tangled in your propeller.
KWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 07:21   #42

Boat: Brewer 12.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Be forewarned that the Maine area is smothered in lobster traps...gazillions of them. These traps can extend quite far offshore.
Sailing thru' them is challenging.....very challenging.....and odds are that sooner or later you will snag a lobster buoy marking the trap.
Typically, this requires a jump overboard to free or cut the line.
Sailing thru' lobster traps is one thing, but anchoring amongst them is another whole dilemma, as swinging space will be very limited, and odds are you'll be swinging up against a trap in short order. Lobstermen are quite attached to their equipment, so be forewarned.
Getting a slip in Maine...in my humble opinion...is the best way to see this otherwise beautiful State.
Some areas have lots of pots, others not. To paint the whole state, with its 3500 islands this way is incorrect. Lobster pots may indeed hamper you when on the move, yes. At anchor, not so much; pay attention to their distance from you but we’ve never swung into one. Also not so hard to find empty moorings by dusk time.
Our solution to snagging lines when sailing (motoring is a different story) is to first pay attention to any pot you think you ran over and check to make sure it pops up out the back of your stern. Spotting the issue early makes the job easier. Then we use a tree limb cutter. With the extra 5’ or more added to your arms’ length, you can cut the line without getting in the water. Most pots are on double buoys so they are still retrievable by the lobsterman if one is left.
wgerstmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 18:50   #43

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
April is the best cruising month in The Bahamas so I’d start there. In May cross to Ft. Lauderdale and then work your way up the coast with stops in St. Augustine, Savannah, and a week in Charleston to take in the amazing restaurant scene.

If your mast is over 64ft you will have to go outside Cape Hatteras which usually requires waiting a week for a weather window. If a shorter mast you can take the ICW without weather worries.

Spend June in NYC, Long Island Sound, Rhode Island (Newport) and Cape Cod (especially the islands of Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard).

In the last week of June pass through the Cape Cod Canal and go to Boston for the 4th of July celebrations including the Boston Symphony Orchestra giving a free outdoor concert with fireworks, church bells, and army howitzers.

In early July head for Maine - the best cruising in the US. With hundreds of drop-dead gorgeous anchorages. Penobscot Bay is the best of Maine cruising and Rickland is a good base.. Also visit the islands around Stonington and Mt Desert Island (Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor). It starts to cool off quickly at the end of August in Maine so head back for Cape Cod, Rhode Island, and Long Island sound the last week of August. Get to the Chesapeake (Cape May) by October 1 as the winter gales start early in New England and it’s possible to be “trapped” for the winter if you wait too long.

Spend October in the Chesapeake including the huge Annapolis Sailboat show around the 18th.

Get back around cape Hatteras in late October or first week of November before the gales start there.

Spend Christmas in Key West.
The Isle of Palms Connector Bridge, just north of Charleston, is listed as 65' MHT but it isn't--more like 63'.
camdenjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, east coast, USA