Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2020, 07:57   #31

Boat: Island Packet, 525, 52'
Re: Vacuum cleaners?

The Makita 18V has worked well for us. You can get the vacuum with attachments and charger for about $89 at Lowes or Home Depot.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 02:03   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoos View Post
What are you and other boaties you have met using for day to day vacuuming on live aboard boats? I have a vacuum cleaner that works with my sander that I won't be taking with me out of the boat yard as a full size vacuum takes up two much room.
I use iRobot Roomba. It is so useful. I do not think about cleaning the floor at all. And it is easy to operate. All parts can be easily removed and replaced. it is also easy to clean the inside of the vacuum cleaner.
frankstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 02:15   #33

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrimm View Post
I agree with Hopcar, if you have cordless tools on your boat then get the same brand of cordless vacuum cleaner. It uses the same batteries, has tons of power and also can be used to clean up wet messes in your bilge or other places.

Milwaukee M18 2-Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum
https://milwaukeetool.com/Products/P...acuums/0880-20

We've had this on board for about six months now. It's well built, powerful and everything packs inside of the box so it's easy to store and retrieve. It is missing one thing, a brush head. All of the attachments are hard plastic and don't like using it on surfaces that can scratch, but it's easy to find one an to the box.
We are looking at the Milwaukee - plenty of power in the M18 one?
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 02:29   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I agree Re tools sharing batteries with a Vacuum. I have Einhell tools and they do two compatible battery vacuums. I have the smaller “ dust buster “ style unit which I find excellent
Old 17-02-2022, 03:23   #35

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I use Ryobi battery powered tools. A few weeks ago I bought their tool box vacuum. I’m pretty impressed. It is a wet/dry vac. If you have battery powered tools see if they make a tool box sized vacuum that will use your existing batteries.
I ordered one from Amazon as soon as I saw the post. I already have a zillion batteries and other Ryobi-One tools, so this makes perfect sense for my situation.

Thanks HopCar !
Old 17-02-2022, 04:50   #36

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
We are looking at the Milwaukee - plenty of power in the M18 one?
We have the Milwaukee M18 vac. Yes, works well.

Chosen 1) because we have other Milwaukee tools so we can use the same battery systems, 2) because the weight when full it isn't so heavy I can't lift it out of our bilge, and 3) because it has a "blow" function too.

-Chris
Old 17-02-2022, 07:58   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
We use a broom and dust pan, and follow up with a damp cloth for dusting. Easy quick to do, takes up virtually no space, uses no amps, and really cheap. Takes a couple of minutes to sweep the floors, and ten minutes or so to dust the interior of the boat. Low tech and effect.

Think of the NASA story, they spent thousands to develop a pen that would write upside down, while the Soviets used a pencil...

Fair winds,
I asked a NASA friend of mine about this story...he claimed it was false. Plus, he also pointed out the issues that could be caused by a loose piece of pencil graphite floating around the cabin of a spaceship in a zero gravity environment (hence the space pen development).
Fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 08:05   #38

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

We have a Ryobi One+ vacuum for many little jobs (we have the One+ system, so it's just one more tool).

But for real vacuuming, we have an ancient Royal Dirt Devil. A real vacuum with a beater bar for upholstery and a paper dirt bag. It also has an attachment to allow a hose with tools on the end. It's 120V, but it really is a champ -- and small and easy to store.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote