Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2010, 15:26   #16

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Thanks... looks pretty good, but can she sail? The bike looks pretty good too.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 15:33   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
How do you get it to and from shore? They won't fit in most dinks. And it would seem that attempting to put a 200+ pound machine, with protruding metal parts, would be a recipe for eventual disaster in an inflatable on the load/unload shoreside. These would be my greatest concerns, but if you can overcome them, then it would be awesome to have the convenience of a full size scooter. We use these as a nice go between:

Lite, easily handled, and miserly on fuel. The even make tow behind trailers for shopping convenience.

As well as detachable seats:

This looks like a good compromise and probably won't have licencing issues. What kind of money does a basic model cost?

Old 31-12-2010, 15:44   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Why not just a full size bicycle on a bike rack?

Sail Delmarva: How to Carry Bicycles Without Origami

Much easier to get on and off, and thus far more useful. I don't understand why so few cruisers carry them; I think it is a matter of feeling they out grew them as children. Everyone other than Americans realizes their efficiency, I think.
Old 31-12-2010, 16:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
This looks like a good compromise and probably won't have licencing issues. What kind of money does a basic model cost?
Off brand models start in the $250 range. Actual "Goped" Models start in the $350 range. I know of no jurisdictions which have any licensing rules. Some jurisdictions have helmet requirements. Depending on model, they travel anywhere from 20mph-40mph (the kids can soup em up to go 70mph, but that's just insane). The go from 100 - 200 miles on a gallon of gasoline, depending on model.

They are good, simple, durable means of easily transportable transportation. They even have off road models with greater ground clearance and knobby tires. Best of all, the little buggers are fun, and in more remote locales count on heaps of questions about how they can get their hands on one.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 16:46   #20

Quote:
Off brand models start in the $250 range. Actual "Goped" Models start in the $350 range. I know of no jurisdictions which have any licensing rules. Some jurisdictions have helmet requirements. Depending on model, they travel anywhere from 20mph-40mph (the kids can soup em up to go 70mph, but that's just insane). The go from 100 - 200 miles on a gallon of gasoline, depending on model.

They are good, simple, durable means of easily transportable transportation. They even have off road models with greater ground clearance and knobby tires. Best of all, the little buggers are fun, and in more remote locales count on heaps of questions about how they can get their hands on one.
That looks good to me. I like the idea of the better clearance, and I assume the knobby tyres are bigger, which could be good for 3rd world country 'highways'!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:13   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Forgo the Vespa, instead utilizing the cargo capacity (weight & space) for cash; which you can use to rent transportation locally.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:19   #22

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
I know of no jurisdictions which have any licensing rules. Some jurisdictions have helmet requirements.
Recently had a friend driving a Goped while wearing a helmet pulled over by police in Grenada and had it confiscated (he eventually got it back). You need a license to drive any motorized vehicle there.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:31   #23

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
low speed - or bicycle.

not specific to cruising...
"Some jurisdictions have helmet requirements."
even if they don't you should. There are many countries where a padded armored vehicle is insufficient protection from drivers. I feared more from cabs than entering a busy harbor on power boat day.

A motor bike (depending on the location) has a different range completely than bikes, or Gopeds, or even electric assist. That "30 mile" trip into the mountains is something beyond most of us in a single day unless we have a motorized option. However, to GordMay's point - then cash may be the better option as you bypass all the local issues (unless you do not have a drivers license at all)

Some locations require that you have sufficient insurance at home or you buy it there - often at ridiculous markup (Boston-Logan airport for example ) Regardless, you should ask your insurance company about some liability in case your Goped/bike/scooter/soda can is knocked over, and puts a 12 inch scratch into the door of the Ferrari someone parked next to it.

Another option is probably expensive except for do it yourself types. I saw guy with a folding scooter in Washington DC. A motorcycle shop had "re-engineered" it to bend so he could get it into the trunk of his compact car.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:07   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I've known a few with older versions of these... great little run abouts... funny as hell when you see a 6ft+ guy around 200lbs on one tho...
Attached Images

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 00:02   #25

Boat: Jarkan 10.5
Re: Vespa Scooter on My Boat ?

I have done a bit of research and found the pgo ligero 150 2012 PGO Ligero 150 - Scootersales.com.au News it is the lightest and most powerful in it's class and half the price of a vespa, me and a friend sailed down the east coat of Australia with our Chinese Vespas onboard and had the best time exploring new ports but that was on the captains 160 ft converted bulk carrier, anyway I plan on fitting this scooter aft of my centre console a jarkan 10.5, loading should be quite simply as I have a folding aluminum ramp i think it would be to heavy to winch with a halyard, does anyone now what the swl of a typical halyard.
bouncingyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 02:41   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

What about this one - 35lb!

Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 08:01   #27

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I don't know if you have mobility issues, but a Vespa will rust like Granddad's underpants in a salt environment. I would not bring a motorized anything on deck unless it was in a sealed box.

I was going to bring bicycles, but the same problems with rust are issues. Secondly, bikes are everywhere. What isn't everywhere are modular panniers and cargo carriers you can bolt on (and off) whatever beater you acquire for the time you are requiring it.

So maybe (if you are fit enough) forgo the Vespa, and get some decent bike bags.

I dealt with this a couple of years ago on my boat blog, and haven't really changed my mind since:

The world encompassed: Two wheels good: To bring or borrow a boat bike
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 08:33   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I don't know if you have mobility issues, but a Vespa will rust like Granddad's underpants in a salt environment. I would not bring a motorized anything on deck unless it was in a sealed box.

I was going to bring bicycles, but the same problems with rust are issues. Secondly, bikes are everywhere. What isn't everywhere are modular panniers and cargo carriers you can bolt on (and off) whatever beater you acquire for the time you are requiring it.

So maybe (if you are fit enough) forgo the Vespa, and get some decent bike bags.

I dealt with this a couple of years ago on my boat blog, and haven't really changed my mind since:

The world encompassed: Two wheels good: To bring or borrow a boat bike
Nice blog and good points / solutions

FWIW, as indicated in my previous posts - I have an eye on a Di Blasi folding electric moped

Having seen and lifted up one in person (When the battery is removed both are easily liftable in one hand (battery obviously easier!) - with battery fitted two hands is not a struggle) an easy transition from Dink to Boat / Dock.

My plan is to fit it into wheeled luggage (soft - not Samsonite!), both for onboard storage down below (security and salt) and also when ashore - i.e. no longer worried about leaving the moped unattended (even if locked) - as you simply take it with you .....on the road the bag will be used backpack style - either empty or with shopping (not a lot of built in carrying capacity anyway).

Not exactly a cheap solution (to being lazy / extending cruising range inland) - but plan is to also use as a substitute for a Vespa on my commute (10 / 20 minutes on the flat).

I will keep CF posted on how all that goes.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 10:08   #29

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

I've always been an enthusiatic proponent of motor scooters but I certainly wouldn't want to have one aboard my boat.

In fact, I once purchased a virtually brand-new scooter at a heavily discounted price from a sailor who soon concluded that it was too problematic to get it on and off his boat.

I routinely rode that scooter all throughout the town of Fajardo, Puerto Rico. It was fun, inexpensive, basic transportation.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1142990...17220556841330
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 12:33   #30

Well, I was sure I asked about hauling a bike here, a 650 Transalp. Anyway, LordMay has the best suggestion IMO, rent one! Insurance and icense are taken care of, no documentation except for your license if required, may not be for 50cc jobbers.

Boatman61 has a great little bike there and with off road tires would do well on the mild stuff. I had a Bennelli 65cc that was very similar and it would hit 60mph on the road. But, the smaller the wheels the worse it is to control the bike as the slightest movement of the bars can make a quick turn. If you are thinking of getting off road, fields or open spaces at any speed fater than walking, small wheels can hurt you real quick, go with the largest diameter you can so that hitting a small bump or ridge won't pull the wheel in a different direction.

When I was trying to figure out how to use my Transalp dual sport, I heard the salt issue, you can wrap them and salt water will not get in, just humidity, you can also rinse it regularly and wipe it down, keep the chain well lubed and sprockets oiled, etc.

I also hear the weight would effect the CG of the boat and performance, well, sure it would, but no more than a fat guy on board and you can lash anything with some mods to where it would not budge an inch.

My situation is different in that I expect to be in isolated areas, if you are going from one civilized are to another, I'd rent it!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote