Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 11:48   #1

Wanted: Residential Mooring (UK)

Me and a friend took the plunge and got our first yacht. Its a Contessa 26 that looks likes its been looked after quite well and has been modified for blue water crossings.

As we have not started our RYA corses yet, we figure we should not try to sail it, so, we are going to live aboard for a while. We are now looking for residential moorings that do not require stepping of the mast to get in/out, so that we can leave when we want too.

Moorings in (or close) to Preston would be best, and they need to have an address so that we can get mail sent there too. Preston Marina are still awaiting authorisation to offer residential moorings so we cant live aboard there yet.

Anyone know of any? Close to preston (lancs) would be the best - but anywhere in the UK would be considered
Genzzry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:48   #2

Re: Wanted: Residential Mooring (UK)

Liverpool Marina allow liveaboard as long as you dont take liberties, they don't announce it but they know people do it.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 13:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
Liverpool Marina allow liveaboard as long as you dont take liberties, they don't announce it but they know people do it.
Im pretty sure that it has to be registered as a residential birth, so that it also has an address. Not sure but I think that residential births also need a licence and to pay council tax.
Old 02-11-2012, 13:25   #4

When I asked them about it last year the marina receptionist says it happens but as long as it causes no problems then they have no problems with it

She also said "how can we know who spends 24/7 aboard in the marina?" (im paraphrasing)
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 02-11-2012, 13:31   #5

Yeah, I got alot of "hints" dropped from the people at Preston Marina too... about spending as much time on the yacht as I want, at any time, nobody checking on me to make sure Im not living aboard, etc....

...but still need a standard address to register the yacht at their marina and for normal mail.

Apparently if we are going to rent the yacht out as a liveaboard - we need a proper residential mooring, that I think pays council tax, etc.
Old 02-11-2012, 13:49   #6

As for renting out I cant comment as I have no idea, but the address can be easily fixed by hiring a postal mailbox or even better, a virtual office from a local office. That way you even get a phone number on top
Old 02-11-2012, 13:50   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genzzry View Post
Apparently if we are going to rent the yacht out as a liveaboard - we need a proper residential mooring, that I think pays council tax, etc.
This confused me, are you thinking of renting it out to someone else? Just can't see someone else renting a Contessa 26 to live on, a 60ft canal boat possibly.

That area of NW coast can be a tough area to sail due to the ties, I come from Southport and know it well. Once you are out of the Ribble you are out for a full tide with little shelter.

I would choose Preston Marina because it will have shore power which is going to be essential through the winter. Liverpool is a bit of a trip if you are working in Preston. There is a marina at Fleetwood and another Glasson Dock on the River Lune.

Final thought is Douglas Boatyard on the River Douglas about 6 miles West of Preston on the Ribble Estuary. However, its very muddy and not sure if they have power on the pontoons. There is a small liveaboard community on the Douglas Canal arm of the Leeds and Liverpool canal (Tarleton Lock). It is accessed by going south past Douglas Boatyard for a couple of miles, but there is a pipe crossing the river half way which would require the mast lowering.

How about using an address at work or parents/brother/sister?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 14:04   #8

I dont work anymore as Im classed as mentally disabled. Details are in another post.

My friend has bought the yacht and says he can rent it to me until I have paid it off. In order for this to happen though - he needs to put it at a licenced residential mooring (with an address)... so that I can get help with the rent.

I've confirmed with Preston City Council that renting a yacht as a liveaboard needs these steps met... and that they dont care if my friend gives me the yacht once I've lived on it for a certain length of time. They said it cant be a rent-2-own agreement... but what he does with his yacht in the future is upto him (even if he wants to give me it "free").
Old 02-11-2012, 14:13   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bending the rules perhaps, but rent the cheapest room you can find in Preston and use that address, or even rent a box for mail at said house.

Nathan lived in Preston on 21ft yacht for a couple of years. He may still be there.

Latest Posts » OnKudu
Old 02-11-2012, 14:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Bending the rules perhaps, but rent the cheapest room you can find in Preston and use that address, or even rent a box for mail at said house.

Nathan lived in Preston on 21ft yacht for a couple of years. He may still be there.

Latest Posts » OnKudu
Wow... and I thought ours was small at 26'

Im trying not to "bend" too many rules (none, if I can help it) as it could affect my only means of afford the rent on what would be my home... and also leave my friend out of pocket :s
Old 02-11-2012, 14:35   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Perhaps ask Preston Council Tax department how you pay council tax on a boat (Valuations Office). If you volunteer to pay say band A, bet they snap your hand off as they are all desperate for money at the moment. then go back to the Benefits department as say you pay council tax for this address.

Register the address as something like:

Yacht Southbound
Berth 28a
Preston Marina
Preston PR* ***

Pete
Old 02-11-2012, 14:39   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have a read of this:

Valuation Office Agency Corporate homepage

Pete
Old 06-10-2015, 11:46   #13

Northwich marina in Cheshire has liveaboards and close to the town for goodies.only problem is you have to sail up the Mersey at Liverpool then the river weaver but all accesable with a mast as there are locks and bridges that move.
big red is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, wanted