Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2016, 17:32   #31

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
Re: Wanting to Retire in the US Virgin Islands

We go down to the BVI's every April to sail for a month on our "group sloop" REGGAE. Additionally, my wife is from Puerto Rico, where I also lived for 12 years, hence we make several trips a year. Those are my "bono fides!"

You have a number of options from the states: Fly into SJU (San Juan) which is definitely the least expensive way to get down into the Caribbean, then fly Cape Air or Seaborne Airlines to STT (St. Thomas) or to EIS (Beef Island, BVI - the airport for the BVI's). Fly into STT, then take the 1 hour ferry ($70 RT) over to Road Town, Tortola.

Airline Service to SJU: American / Delta / Jet Blue / Southwest - (our favorite - 2 free bags & no change fees other than fares) / Spirit / United

Airline Service to STT: American / Delta / Jet Blue / United

Airline Service SJU to STT or EIS: Cape Air / Seaborne

Our preference, since we have family to visit in SJU, is to fly RT to SJU on Southwest, then take advantage of Seaborne's morning low $60's fare to STT, then catch the ferry to Road Town. We can usually make the DEN - SJU RT for about $350 by booking well ahead / SJU - STT RT for about $125 / STT - Road Town Ferry RT for $70 = less than $600 with STT taxi fare from the airport to the ferry terminal.

The heavier trafficked airports are the most competitive pricewise - SJU, then STT. EIS doesn't make the cut! Be careful about connections as it can be very difficult to connect with other airlines or the ferry (last ferry STT to Tortola at 1630 AST (Atlantic Standard Time does not go Daylight Savings, hence 1 hour later that EST / same time as EDT when the states are on daylight savings). Do your due diligence and save some money! Do not hesitate to contact me if you wish. George 3zero7-2five6-66five0
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 10:16   #32

Boat: MacGregor 26M

Thanks George! That is really helpful. It answers many of my questions. It is people like you that make these boards what they are. A great resource.
born4sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 22:09   #33

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

born4sailing, I noticed an earlier post about the cost of keeping your boat in the BVI's. We pay $200 for an annual BVI temporary importation permit (eliminates the expensive cruising permits) and have been based there for 20 years (USCG Documented). After purchasing this permit, we qualify for a resident price ($75) on the annual BVI National Parks Trust Permit, which enables us to use the Parks Trust mooring balls (no over nights) free of additional charge located at The Baths and at premium diving sites, where anchoring is prohibited. All in all, a great deal! George - grew up in Duluth.

See our post "Best Sailing Arrangement in the BVI's" under Classifieds - Boats
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Virgin Islands