Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 07:31   #1

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Washing machines

ahoy to all.

we are living onboard our 40' catamaran, around EC australia, and thinking to invest in a washing machine.

we have a watermaker and onboard diesel generator / 3000w inverter so can pretty much accept anything EXCEPT we have a height limit of 750mm

anyway, i'm now doing a bit of a survey as to folk's opinions on different sorts, brands, sizes etc...what is important and what isn't

any / all input is welcome !

cheers,

chris & debbie
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:34   #2
cruiser

Re: Washing machines

Our 18 year old Splendide died two weeks ago, so we are looking for a replacement. Hopefully, some will chime in with suggestions.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:15   #3

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We installed a Splendide vented washer/dryer combo almost 2 years ago. I like it very much, but have found their claim of "no lint because we wash more gently" to be a bit optimistic.

If you take the dryer hose completely off every year you will find it packed with lint. Also, the part inside the machine where the vent attaches. The lint is compacted to the point of being something like wet cardboard. If you clean this thoroughly at least once a year, it improves the drying capability enormously.

Whenever my clothes take forever to dry, I take a few minutes to clean the vent and voila! my clothes are dryer and it takes less time (energy) to get there.

I'd buy another Splendide - mostly because of the simplicity and the compact size.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21   #4
cruiser

I need a washer I can purchase in Greece. Splendide is American, I can’t find a dealer here.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:24   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

The OP said and and all opinions welcome.

He's in Australia - you're in Greece. I didn't do a market research before stating my opinion. Read it, if it doesn't apply to you, pass on. That's what I do.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:51   #6

https://daewooelectronics.com.au/pro...d-washer-mini/

550*292*600mm (WxDxH)
16.5kg
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:50   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

We have a Candy 4kg (an identical looking machine is also sold under the Camec brand). It washes and spins (important because drying clothes is a pain) very well. The only difference compared to a domestic machine is the reduced capacity, meaning more loads are needed for the same quantity of clothes.

Power and water consumption is always of interest. We use ours on a cold wash. The power consumption, as close as I can work out, is about 6 Ahs at 24v or the equivalent of 12 Ahrs for a 12v boat. The water use seems about 35 litres (the machine will vary this depending on size of the load) and a typical standard wash and rinse cycle is just over an hour.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:00   #8

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Regardless of where it's sold, I think the Splendide is made in Italy. There are a whole series of brands the exact size with the control panel as the only outside difference. I had a Whirlpool and others that had the same drum, motor, etc. Probably for sale in Greece, Australia and other places under a different name.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:19   #9

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

On my Leopard 40
https://daewooelectronics.com.au/pro...d-washer-mini/
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1426.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	195120
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:22   #10

Boat: Custom Catamaran

I’ve got one of those Costway twin tub machines and so far, so good! Installed it in the front starboard cabin under the bunk and just added a hinged flap to get access to the tubs. After a load it then drains into the shower bilge and an auto pump send any suds (biodegradable of course) overboard.

http://https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071JBBM6G/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1

Hope that helps!

Nathan
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:53   #11

Boat: Riva 48

The optimal way is to find the smallest automatic washing machine available in your market and install it on your boat. In Europe, there are many 24" washing machines available (approx. the size of Splendide). In the US, two good choices are LG Sidekick and Haier 1.0 cu ft., one is horizontal, one is vertical.

I have the LG sidekick installed on a fairly small boat. It is a breeze to use, approx. 15 gallons per wash including wash and rinse. Most of the time you will use it at the dock, sometimes at sea. You need a water maker and a water heater. Once the wash is done, you dry the clothes outside if in a sunny climate or put them in the head and direct heat (either from a space heater or forced air heater) to dry them out.

Anything that is not automatic (i.e. does not include wash, spin, rinse, spin, etc. cycles) is not worth having. Anything that does not spin the clothes well (necessary to rinse the dirt and soap away) is not worth having. Anything over $500 is an overspend.

Good luck.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:48   #12

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Anything that is not automatic (i.e. does not include wash, spin, rinse, spin, etc. cycles) is not worth having. Anything that does not spin the clothes well (necessary to rinse the dirt and soap away) is not worth having. Anything over $500 is an overspend.

Good luck.
In your opinion. The machine I installed isn’t automatic and works just fine. I use it on a cold wash and after a 15 min wash, put it in for a 3 min spin and the clothes are damp, almost dry.

Frankly I don’t mind swapping the clothes between tubs as it’s usually a chores morning anyway, and I’m changing the linen, washing the boat, tidying bits and pieces up, etc etc.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
The optimal way is to find the smallest automatic washing machine available in your market and install it on your boat. In Europe, there are many 24" washing machines available (approx. the size of Splendide). In the US, two good choices are LG Sidekick and Haier 1.0 cu ft., one is horizontal, one is vertical.

I have the LG sidekick installed on a fairly small boat. It is a breeze to use, approx. 15 gallons per wash including wash and rinse. Most of the time you will use it at the dock, sometimes at sea. You need a water maker and a water heater. Once the wash is done, you dry the clothes outside if in a sunny climate or put them in the head and direct heat (either from a space heater or forced air heater) to dry them out.

Good luck.

OK, now you've piqued my curiosity.

How does a washer fit in that size boat? Just wondering, as I'd love to have one in my next boat, and I didn't know it was possible.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:14   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Washing machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
OK, now you've piqued my curiosity.

How does a washer fit in that size boat? Just wondering, as I'd love to have one in my next boat, and I didn't know it was possible.

We have a Haier. It sits on top of the second unused head.
We have a watermaker, I think it would be tough without one cause it uses a LOT of water, we don’t have it connected to hot water, but then we never washed anything in hot water at the house either.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:15   #15

Boat: FP Lipari, 11.95 metres

+1 for the Daewoo Mini. Ours has paid for itself many times over the last 3 years.
Takamoana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing